Does hype make you buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For me, no.  Well....most of the time that is.  There are items I have bought just to see what all the hype was about, but it's products that has been around for some time that has some hype attached to it...for instance Great Lash Mascara, UDPP, NARS Orgasm blush, MUFE HD Foundation and a few others.  Bare in mind I bought these long after they were released and unfortunately for me, was not quite impressed by any...most were good, but did not hold up to the high standards claimed. 

In terms of much anticipated products, collections etc, I will usually just wait for reviews and swatches etc, but hardly ever buy.  What about you?

I RAN when the "Naked" palette was released from UD because of the hype and it paid off!!!! I am one of the lucky ones that got it on launch day with the double ended 24/7 pencil ( I love the whisky).  However, even with all the hype on Alice in Wonderland, I let it pass (they even had one at Ulta and I walked on by).  I guess I have to find it to be something I would wear anyways in order for me to purchase it.  I'm not impressed by my UDPP either and I'm looking for a better solution (hearing good things about Benefits Shadow Insurance so I want to give it a try). Sometimes hype lights the fire under me that probably would have been there anyways.  

Yes, i bought a couple stuff on hype, Mufe HD, UD Naked, Dior palette from this spring collection. Luckily for me i love them, except that double ended pencil from the Naked palette. I hate Whisky and the Zero part just broke on me, good thing i have a full sized pencil.

I guess it depends on where the hype was from.

The naked palette, I expected the shadow quality to be similar to the rest of their shadows, and most of the hype was whether it was in stock or out of stock.  (not hype about better quality or NEED to have unique colors or anything and I've got plenty of shadows)

I bought UDPP after trying a few cheaper primers, and researching online and seeing it repeatedly as the HG primer for all shadows.  I actually really do like it.

I think when it's a type of product that I don't have, I do tend to shift towards products with a lot of hype over a no-name brand when I want to try it out.

The UD Palette in the purple velvet case, MAC Stereo Rose MSF and Fresh Sugar Plum set are the only things I think I fed into the hype for. Other than that I only get what I don't have and have been looking at for a while, for the most part.

The only thing that vexed me was the Fresh balm. It did nothing to moisturize my lips, and the scent made me want to eat it, but it had no taste! Gah!

I think my biggest hype buy was the UD Alice Palette. In fact, when I missed the initial online presale, I had Sephora hold one. It came when I was out of town, so I had my hubby pick it up for me haha

But usually, I dont hype-buy, I do my research first to see if it's worth it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For me it does the complete opposite. If a product is too hyped, it makes me stay away from them. I really wanted the Naked Palette cause I have no neutrals and wanted to start wearing some. But since it's always sold out, I don't feel like constantly checking the stores by me to see if they are in stock so I've given up on it. Also,  I feel like people will be too drunk off the hype to review a product truthfully, if that makes any sense. Like for Sugarpill. To this day I haven't found a review that has said anything negative or with cons. Although I do love the colors and most of the formulas, people have not mentioned that some chromalusts or pressed eyeshadows need a base to come out really good. They make the whole line to be perfect, which it isn't.

On occasion. UD's BoS Vol. III (which might've gotten just average reviews in comparison to Naked or Vols. I & II), the NARS Tainted Love set (but I love Angelika blush & lipgloss, so that was a no-brainer!) or Paul & Joe lipsticks. As far as I know, there's only one boutique in the city that carries the line, versus UO online carrying a rather large range. I've also fallen for hype, and searched like a mad-woman for Wet 'n' Wild palettes, and NYX products. With higher-end stuff, it's a lot easier to avoid hype - when you can swatch and see for instance, that WW's MSFs were just meh, or that NARS Calanque was/is a chalky mess.

Hype may have an influence, as well as, impact on the vast majority of status quo society, however; as a makeup enthusiast, I feel as if it bares no merit nor influence on my makeup purchases. I will admit, I love to try a product before I buy it. If I do not try something and end up not liking it, I either give it away to someone who does or swap it for something that I do like.

Mm... yes and no.

If I hear lots of good stuff about it, and it seems like I product that would be useful for me, I'll do research on it and then decide whether it's worth it, especially in terms of price (since I'm a student).

If however, I hear lots about it but I don't think I'd use it much, no matter how pretty it looks, my wallet stays in my pocket.

The third and most likely scenario is that I'll decide I really like it but it's too expensive, so I wait a few months until I hear about a cheaper dupe, or something better :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hmm yes and no, i think. i'm very good with doing extensive research before committing, and figuring out if i need it or not. and if it doesn't compare to the hype i will return it.

i actually saw the naked palette at ulta and was very good with passing it up! i felt like well, it's a permanent item so i can get it at any time, and i have plenty of neutral eyeshadows. i did however stop by the inglot store when i was in las vegas and got a palette, but i'm very happy with it. the only thing i still don't get is mac.. i started buying from mac a few months ago and i have yet to find something that blows me out of the water. everything i've tried has been okay so far. not great. i do, however, love my mac brushes! i guess i gave in to that hype, too ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used to buy things because of the hype but I was usually dissapointed.

The last thing I bought because of the hype was OPI black shatter, it was sold out everywhere and I had to have it shipped over from the US. I have to say I wasn't THAT impressed and thought the cheaper Barry M version which I bought from my local chemist was better.
icon_neutral.gif

Now I usally buy things which catch my eye as im browsing the cosmetics, anything that jumps out at me.

I was really hyped about MAC Viva Glam Lady Gaga 2 but when I saw it yesterday was like "Really? Um.....no thanks!" No hype buy here.

Not really. Although I did buy the Covergirl Lip Perfection since everyone who has tried it love it and unfortunately mine didn't impress me. The other thing I bought like that was the Physicians Formula blush with the hearts on it. I haven't actually used it yet, but I'm happy with my purchase anyway because it's just so darned adorable! lol I'm like Jade, I wait for the hype to die down and then look for dupes!

I also agree with this: "I feel like people will be too drunk off the hype to review a product truthfully". It's almost like "the emperor has no clothes" syndrome, where in the story no one had the guts to say that the emperor was naked. It's like people think that they can't say anything negative about a product that everyone else is raving over.

It depends. I don't really go for things that are "hyped" about I suppose, but I do look at reviews. I want to make sure that the product that I am getting is reliable and I find that's the best way to do it. I didn't go for hyped items like the MAC Wonder Woman collection, but when I saw that Allure had given the award of best primer to Smashbox Photo Finish, I tried it and now I wouldn't go with anything else. So, I guess hype, not so much, reviews- definitely.

not anymore, when i was in my early 20's i bought everything.

now if i try it, like it and don't have a similar color i'll buy it.

i think a lot of makeup with hype is overpriced.

Yes especially when I first started watching makeup videos on YouTube.

I ran out and bought what everyone claimed was the best thing....blah blah blah

Now......I'm smarter with makeup and money, so today the hype goes over my head....don't listen to it.  

I´ll give into the hype if there really are an amazing number of positive reviews on it. And I always check out swatches of products. Also, I´m more likely to give into the hype if a product is LE and/or from MAC
redface.gif

I was dying to get the UD Naked Palette for myself and 2 friends on my trips to London & the US, but it was sold out both times. But after it´s been out of stock for so long I don´t even want it that badly anymore lol.

With MAC´s Stereo Rose MSF I didn´t want it at first. I have like 5 MSFs and love them, but didn´t see what was so special about this particular one. So I waited too long, and then eventually realized that I do want it and paid a pretty steep price for it on ebay, hoping it woulnd´t be a fake. It wasn´t, and I still LOVE it and I´m happy I bought it.

Latest posts

Back