Do people think you spend too much on makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my family know me way too well to suggest such, but my friends?  Wooooo, they think I spend an unGodly amount on makeup, which of course I DON'T.  I had some extra cash recently and was wondering whether to get a new phone or get me some makeup....well I didn't need either, but I wanted both.  Sooo, I bought a cheaper phone and got myself some makeup...and my friends were like, but ummm...u already have enough makeup..what is wrong with you?  But to me, there is ALWAYS something I want, or sometimes I'm in a mood and realise I don't have the colours I need to create a certain look...stuff liek that....they just don't get the makeup thing and think I spend way too much...what about you?

If you were to ask my hubby, he would say most definitely! He cringes at the mere mention of Ulta or Sephora.  If you asked my daughter, she would say I need to buy more (she likes to test out my stuff).  Do I have enough makeup to sustain me through the century? Probably but everyone has a hobby right?  Whether it be stamp collecting or my hubby's hobb of atv's.  Yes its expensive but its something that I truly enjoy and get a rush off of when I find that "new" or "perfect" something.  Does my family give me grief about it?  Sometimes but honestly, they're supportive of it and only razz me from time to time. Now who wants to shop???? 
biggrin.gif

I am a novice to makeup and on track to keep practicing to get better, so I really dont know what too much is - lol.

I have budgeting to spend $100 per month to build my makeup collection.  In the past couple of months, it been alittle more, sometimes alittle less.  My hope as I continue my feminine image, I wouldn't spend more than $50 per month.

But its awfully hard not to spend money when I walk into MAC, ULTA, Sephora, etc...

I'd be happy with $50 a month.  However, not very realistic for me.  I'm always replacing something because I have either "hit pan" or it dried out, or it's nearing expiration.  Add on to that all the wonderful goodies that the cosmetics companies throw our way that's "new" and "on sale", and it spirals.  

Guess I will find that out!  lol - I am hoping to spend $50 per month.  That way I can focus on shopping and wardrobe.

But you are right - there is always tempatation.

I know right!!  I have always been addicted - just more focused now!  lol 

I hate using the word "addiction" but it is what it is.  We're in a wonderful world of color and shine that transforms us into the beautiful creatures that we already are on the inside (who wouldn't be addicted to something like that?)  

I agree- I love the transformation.  Its so much fun.  I love it.  Not that I dont mind being male (cause I have a great male life).  But transforming, putting on makeup, sliding on heels is what I love.

Transforming is soooo much fun!  By day I'm the cute sweet mother of two who's Suzy Homemaker.  By night, I'm my hubby's sexy vixen all dolled up in corsets, heels and a flawless face.  It's alot of fun playing a dual role (good girl/bad girl)  

OMG.. yes my hubby thinks I spend too much money on makeup! lolz.. but what can a girl do?  Not all make up are the same... ^^  I try to budget monthly but you know how temptation creep into you lolz.. and those sales Associates that bugs you to buy (I'm such a sucker when it comes to those)

Some do. My husband doesn't. He's supportive of it. Sometimes he rolls his eyes when he sees me with new polish knowing I have a bunch already lol. It is the same with handbags.

Handbags........oh lordie!  Even though my hubby's not happy about it, he's supportive about it.  I have soooo many handbags that I have to keep them in totes out in the garage.  Since that's "his" area, he's constructed a numbering system so he doesn't have to dig thru totes to find which one is where.  The totes are numbered and he has a printout page of which handbag is in which numbered tote ie. Tote 1 (Dooney & Bourke small tassel, pink and brown Ettiene Aigner, black Chanel and so on and so on).  He keeps them in protective plastic in a binder over his workbench.  He may not agree with my obsessions, but he's definitely supportive 
inlove.gif

I need to work on my image.  One thing at a time.  LOL.  But having a husband to help support me would be awesome!

Work on yourself first and to heck with the rest!  Everything else will fall into place eventually......

It would look like I spend alot on makeup up because I always have something new in my bag, but I truly don't.  I buy mostly drug store makeup and sales as much as possible.  I volunteer with women who are recovering from addiction and when I look at the small fortunes they have spent on narcotics, my little makeup habit seems very reasoable.  I don't spend more than I can afford or spend bill money on makeup or buy makeup instead of groceries or neglect my families needs for makeup. As far as obsessions go, I think this is a very healthy one to have.  It promotes a sense of well being, self-confidence and over all pride in one's appearance.  Let's face it, we walk taller, smile more and feel better about ourselves when we're all dolled up.  So, I say, "Heck yeah, to makeup addicts everywhere!"

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some do. My husband doesn't. He's supportive of it. Sometimes he rolls his eyes when he sees me with new polish knowing I have a bunch already lol. It is the same with handbags.
Same here minus the handbags. He laughs at me when I tell him that I got this new shade, came home, swatched and realized I already had almost the same thing. But he's the only one who's been supportive. My mom's finally on board and realizes her fault and part in it, lol! My friends prolly will never be as bad as me, but I see them trying to wear eyeshadow, and ask me about brands and such, so on some level they get it.

But I don't think it's so bad because I really don't spend money on much else. So for me, it's justified.

Back