Matte Red Lipstick

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of my favorite matte red lipsticks include:

-MAC lipstick in "Chili"

-Dior Rouge lipstick in "526 Action Red"

-NARS lipstick in "Shanghai Express"

-Urban Decay lipstick in "Revolution"

-Illamasqua lipstick in "Encounter"

Although, wearing red lipstick is relatively daring, yet spontaneous, wearing it properly does make a statement. There are so many key factors to contemplate when choosing the right lipstick, let alone shade itself. I am an NC42, so I am reluctant to purchase/use something just because I find it attractive.

I am curious, do you wear red matte lipstick? If so, what is your favorite?

Discuss.

That is a pretty shade. I actually tried that shade on. It didn't look right with my skintone, but the shade itself is visibly modish. It looks much better in person than it does in swatches or on the internet, as well.

I think it's tougher for some women to wear red as they get older - for me, anyway.  I find a softer color is much more flattering on me these days, but boy, when I was in my 20s, I used to rock the red lipstick all the time!  The original Viva Glam, MAC Red, Chanel Red - all of 'em!  

My mom is in her 50s and she wears red lipstick from time-to-time and it looks amazing on her. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Everyone's personal tastes change throughout the years.

I think matte red looks good on everyone at the right time and place if it is a good match for their skin.  I'm not a fan of reds on teenagers though especially younger ones, i don't think they can pull it off without looking awkward.  i like brick reds for myself. I usually don't wear matte red in the daytime.  Viva Glam is probably the red i pick up the most.

I remember telling my girlfriend 16 years ago that I can't wear red lipstick (and she was the red lipstick queen).  She said "nonsense!"  and proceeded to put some one me.  Sure as heck she said "Yeah, you can't wear red."  I've never been able to.  I still try to this day.  I try orange based reds, true reds and nothing works for me.  I would love to pull it off but I can't. 

My favorites so far are..

*Russian Red - MAC

*Revolution - Urban Decay

*Sangers - illamasqua

The two reds lipsticks i own are creamy rather than purely matte. I have a Sephora lipstick which isn't worth mentioning as it has the nasty habit of melting down to your chin. The other is Makeup Forever's rouge artist #45. It's a blue based red, but i have pink undertones so it looks like a true red on my lips. It's so bold i rarely apply it. One i also like which is a matte true red is the shade 42.

I don't have any matte reds either. Red is hard for me to pull off, and I do believe it is harder for older women in general. We tend to have more lines in our lips for the lipstick to bleed into for one thing, so have to be real careful to use a lip liner. I prefer to use red glosses when I want to use red but I do have a few creamy red lipsticks. I like browns and burgundies when I'm feeling like wearing a darker shade but mostly stick to medium shades of pinks and corals.

I recently saw MUFE #21 and thought it was a pretty matte red.  For me I generally go for reds that lean toward berry.  Blue undertone reds compliment my skin tone best.

Jeannine

I never thought of "berry"reds Jeannine.....maybe I'll try those and see if it works!

I find that neutral red matte shades are the prettiest, however; despite the fact they do exist, they are relatively rare. Red is definitely daring, especially matte red.

I own a couple but I find it looks a bit silly on me so I tend to stick to peach/pink shades. My mum has always worn red lipstick and it looks great on her.

Now that I think about it, I don't believe any of my red lipsticks are matte. Hmm... I may need to buy one. But I have about 7 or 9 red lipsticks. I guess I just prefer a little sheen.

So, I checked my reds. I have Revlon's Just Bitten lipstain in Gothic, so that's a matte finish. And Revlon Really Red.

I find that Shiseido's Perfect Rouge Glowing Matte lipstick in "RD325 Coral Glow" is a beautiful red and works for anyone who wants to wear a natural red, rather than a red that is intense or striking.

On that note, I want to try the Bite High Pigment Matte Pencil in "Pomegranate".

My favorites are Estee Lauder in Fig and MAC Viva Glam I. 

Keep in mind that I'm not usually bold enough to wear them out.  But for blogging purposes, those are my favorite reds!  :)

Back