Anyone tried Origins VitaZing and Checks and Balances

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never spent a whole lot of money on skincare products, my skin behaves pretty well as long as I stick to a routine. However for a while now I have found myself seriously wanting these 2 products from Origins. The first is the VitaZing energy boosting moisturizer and second is the Checks and Balances frothy cleanser. A couple of my favorite youtube gurus have been gushing about the VitaZing, and it really sounds like a miracle products.  It's supposed to moisturize and boost your complexion making your skin look instantly healthier looking and provide good coverage without being tinted at all. The cleanser is supposed to be perfect for combination skin helping both your dry and oily areas.  The reviews on both of these products are outstanding, but since they're so pricey I wanted to see if you girls had any experience with either of them, or any other Origins products??

Here's the links if you wanna read up on them

http://www.origins.com/product/3858/13004/Skincare/Daily-Essentials/Moisturizers/VitaZing/SPF-15-Energy-boosting-moisturizer/index.tmpl

http://www.origins.com/product/3853/11226/Skincare/Daily-Essentials/Cleansers/Checks-and-Balances/Frothy-face-wash/index.tmpl

And if it helps I have Normal/combo skin.  It's mostly pretty normal, my forhead and nose gets a little shiny.  And sometimes I get a little dry between my eyebrows and around my chin.

Well I am sorry that I may not be os much help since i have not tried either of these products myself, but I would be careful about listening too much to "youtube mu gurus" because a lot of them get paid or sent products for free to review and give good ratings too.

Hopefully some ladies here will have more answere and personal experience with the products.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah that's why I wouldn't base a purchase solely on what a guru says, but it was leesha from xsparkage and tiffanyD that I saw reviewing it to begin with and I think they're pretty reliable.  Since then I've watched lots of other videos and read reviews around the net, and it seems like pretty much everyone loves it.  I don't have a damn origins store nearby, but supposedly the belk store in the mall has a counter so I'm gonna go over there and see if maybe I can snag a sample. 

I´ve seen the Youtube reviews as well. It sounds like a nice product, but it wouldn´t be for me. I prefer a higher SPF in my daytime moisturizer (especially since you probably won´t use enough of the product to get the full SPF because it´s quite pricey - which is when you´ll end up with a lower SPF than 15, and 15 is the lowest recommended SPF!) and I don´t care about how a skincare product for my face smells. The light tint sounds nice, but I need more coverage (so I need an actual foundation), and the sheen/glow wouldn´t look good on my oily skin.

Here´s Paula Begoun´s review on the VitaZing moisturizer if you´re interested. Apparently, fragrance and plant oils play an unnecessarily big role in this product

http://www.beautypedia.com/search.aspx?k=vitazing&st=1%2c2%2c3%2c4&rid=1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c5%2c6%2c7#&&KL9g3+7mTg29YFu01KH9JHdtPLkhdP1ZgZHqxscvTWndyW7xAOD95zV+OSDILhKHpwYledy0gXDdpxClYtfrZWj/7YHg8R73CMVxHhHjO95XLOsEYTlJ8NkK/5115GVDAq0IV/2IZUdvekBHt6vGNHYj+8e37rZkMae95gRVS3hYEfBIpXf8soS3izyYzdoDv8m6NHy0z6ShGvh2kLUoeZdnaMB98Ryf/eTAx43oZBJ26lT6w2tVV8jTDCk=

I would go for the Estee Lauder Daywear SPF15 lotion instead-it get great reviews! It´s the same concept cause it has that light tint, but it also contains antioxidants (in a stable packaging) and not that much fragrance. However, it´s also a few $ more expensive for the same amount of product the VitaZing contains.

This is tricky since skincare is so personalized--what may work great on my skin would not work at all for yours. That being said, I really like both of these products.  I haven't used the C&B in a while but I do like it and will probably use it again once I run out of my other stuff.

I am currently using the GinZing eye cream and LOVE it, and I believe the VitaZing is the face moisturizer to complement it. I think this product is actually what used to be Prescriptives VibrantC, which I loved. The other Lauder brands are slowly but surely repackaging popular Px products so they are still available.  These are actually skin care products I will purchase again, once I run out. Normally I try something then move on to the next great thing, but I've been using Origins Starting Over moisturizing cream and just purchased my second bottle of it as well.  And plan on trying the VitaZing for summer.  GREAT stuff!

I didn't get to get a sample because the lady was already gone, but I tried some out on my hand.  Andi it's kind of misleading when people say it gives you a "glow". There's really no sheen to the product, or a tint really.  It just kind of perks up the skin making it look healthier which naturally gives you kind of a "glow".  I'm still gonna try and get a sample though, because trying something on my hand is different than my face!

I saw TiffanyD's review of Origins Vitazing and the last time I was at Macy's I decided to pick up a tube.  It's a tinted moisturizer.  I don't know about the "healthy glow", it's just a tint.  The product has tiny little capsules in it that break open when you rub in the product which is why it looks white-ish in the tube and then tints on the skin. It's just not the product for me.  I need more SPF out of a daily moisturizer and I need more coverage than the tint provides.  It's okay for grocery shopping on a weekend morning, but overall, it's the worst of both worlds for me.  I'm going to use up the tube because I paid $35 for it, but I have no plans to purchase it again.

Originally Posted by ndGirlieReview /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw TiffanyD's review of Origins Vitazing and the last time I was at Macy's I decided to pick up a tube.  It's a tinted moisturizer.  I don't know about the "healthy glow", it's just a tint.  The product has tiny little capsules in it that break open when you rub in the product which is why it looks white-ish in the tube and then tints on the skin. It's just not the product for me.  I need more SPF out of a daily moisturizer and I need more coverage than the tint provides.  It's okay for grocery shopping on a weekend morning, but overall, it's the worst of both worlds for me.  I'm going to use up the tube because I paid $35 for it, but I have no plans to purchase it again.
If you don't want to use it I'd be happy to take it off your hands haha, maybe swap for something!

I got a sample and I actually love it.  I don't think it's supposed to provide coverage, it doesn't even really market itself as a tinted product. To me it makes your skin look like you've been playing out in the sun.  It gives my skin a kind of plumper and sunkissed soft healthy look. After using it up I don't even want to wear foundation or tinted moisturizer b/c it feels too heavy in this heat!!  I want more, but I'm gonna have to save for it.  ItI wish it wasn't so expensive, but I'm willing to pay for it. 

I've used 3 tubes of Checks & Balances. It is a decent cleanser for my oily, acne proned skin. I stop using it now, just because I want to explore other cleansers.^^

Origins does a free "mini-facial" where they'll use their products on you in the store so you can try them out before you buy.  Checks and Balances personally, I didn't like it but my co-worker loved it.  It's supposed to smell like Spearmint, but I didn't like the scent at all, and the feeling that you get when you rinse off I didn't like either (gave me the shivers) versus my co-worker who now can't use any other face wash because nothing else leaves her skin like that.

I'd just say go try it out with one of Origin's mini-facials and see how you like it in person.

If you're worried about price, you can always try picking up a tube at a Cosmetics Company Outlet (they're owned by Estee Lauder and have stuff from all of their brands, including Origins). I think stuff there is generally 20% off of the original retail price. The only thing is, if you don't like it, you might not be able to return it. Or you'll only get store credit.

Back