Just got hired as head Make Up artist in Salon for weddings etc (need help/advice)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!  I just recently decided to try to start my own make up artist business and I know it's going to take a lot of time and effort and I was prepared for that.  I am a certified professional make up artist that was trained in NYC years ago, and I got certified in airbrush make up.  Recently, my friend works at a salon and her boss has been getting bombarded with make up jobs for weddings and such and she cant do it all on her own anymore, nor does she want to, she wants someone to do the make up and she told her boss about me and that I do the airbrush and she was very interested!  So, we spoke and she was very interested in me and my style and how I am a go getter and very aggressive because she is the same, she recently took over the salon and is completely revamping it and taking it over, so she is putting a lot of money into advertising and doing all that stuff.  She told me she has a space that she would be willing to let me work out of and would like to have a partnership with me and have me do the work that comes in the salon, and would like me to come in and discuss prices with her. 

Now, I am very excited for all this, but I am really confused as to how to go abouts doing this the professional way.  Because I never have worked yet professionally even as an artist, but I have been researching the market around me and looking at other artists in the area sites and how they do things and I have an idea of how I would want to do things.  I looked at her site, and it was very generic how she listed it. It said:

Make Up Application: $40

Bridal Application: $50

First of all, with the airbrush you can get a lot more, and I also have airbrush tanning with mine.  I'm thinking about packages as well.  Like "Lady in waiting" package, I have a friend who has there where the artist stays a couple hours so they have someone on call for pictures and the wedding etc.. then another package would be airbrush package... another package would be regular makeup for those who cant afford airbrush.. and then there would be add on's to packages like spray tan... fake eyelashes.. swavorski crystals ..etc etc..

So, I'm thinking of typing up different packages to show to her for friday..

Then also we have to think of a way fair to us to work out how to split it between us, so I don't know how that would work, I mean does it work the same as if I was a stylist renting a chair in there and it's a 50/50 or 60/40 split? 

I'm just really excited but also never did anything in business like this before and wasn't prepared for anything like this but God is definitely blessing me with this chance and I want to take it so if anyone can help me I would definitely appreciate it!

I wish I could help but I don't know a thing in the world about how to share profits in a salon.  Good Luck!  I think it is so awesome that you are "taking the leap" into self-employment.

Jeannine

I really don't know much about the beauty industry but I have a few thoughts.

If you are using your own products and time, it seems to me that you should get the majority of the money from a client. If you do a make up for $40, then give $10 to $15 to her - and keep the rest.

Factor in the cost of the makeup before committing to a price and cut.

Just an idea, what about charging for a bridal party? As well as a separate charge for the bride.

If you do a party, then I would think you should get an even higher cut.

Best of luck

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif It said:...

Make Up Application: $40

Bridal Application: $50

THis stood out the most to me... Ummm... I think that you prolly need to research your market a bit more, because from what I've been reading online, that is a severe price cut for what typical makeup artists charge for services. My advice would be to visit/read some forums where other professional artists swap ideas and pricing, etc. Because how are you going to pay rent, pay for gas, pay for your kit, pay for you station at the salon, if that is all you're charging?

I don't think 60/40 or 50/50 would allow you to earn much profits. You should get a cut higher than this.

All the best to you dear. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldn't do a 60/40 (you/them) split, even if the salon was providing you with everything.. brushes, makeup, tools, space etc.  If you're bringing in your own stuff you've got a lot more space to negotiate and please do not sell yourself short, you'll regret it in the long run.  Definitely take a look at what others are charging in your area, and think about how much you're willing to give up.. also consider that if you're self employed, you'll need to set some aside for taxes too.

Good luck. :]

Well no wonder most makeup artists have to have 2-3 non related jobs... You can't survive with those prices and having to split it with someone else...

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well no wonder most makeup artists have to have 2-3 non related jobs... You can't survive with those prices and having to split it with someone else...

Definitely.  I'm also going to school to be a drug and alcohol counselor, so this really is one of many jobs!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Plus also I'm in school for Esthetician

Well, considering I just started my business 3 weeks ago, and made a website then and got business cards, I'm not going to complain.  Actually, my situation has changed greatly.  That salon I spoke about before, yeah, they still want me to work there, and it's going to be a 70/30% split, and they are EHHHH.. as far as business wise/location.  You can't charge expensive prices over there because of the area, so for regular application/special occasion (prom for example).. I decided on 55$, then for Airbrush it's going to be 70$ and then for Bridal, it's going to be 80$.  I did a lot of research about prices in this area, called other make up artists, and got their prices, and that is a bit low, but that area is really just not a high priced area.  You guys saw the original prices!

However, when I went there, this woman has never owned a salon before, she's not even a Cosmetologist, so she is very clueless about everything.  She didn't even know what Keratin was.  The make up counter she had set up over there, had LA LOOKS and WET N WILD make up, and she is like well this make up is just to show clients that we have make up, we don't actually use this!  I was like OMG, I couldn't believe it.  If I was a client and saw that, I would NOT want my make up done.  Then she is the owner, but dressed with jeans, sweat shirt, hair pulled back, and she doesnt wear make up and never has.  So, it was like kinda white trashy, I've worked in Salons for years at Front Desk and all my friends are in the industry and so I grew up hanging out in salons, two of my friends family owned salons, and NEVER in my life did I see a set up like that.  She knocked down all the walls, so it's one open area, she has a waxing table in the corner, so if people want to get waxed, it's out right in the open, and she said someone was coming in for a bikini, and I was like where are they going to do it though??  There isn't even curtains. 

So, on my way home, I was telling my mom on the phone I wasn't having a great feeling about it, and I said for someone just starting, I don't know if I want to be bothered with the bullcrap and the chaos, cuz that's the vibe I felt.  She let a client walk out of there not paying while I was there because she doesnt have the credit card machine hooked up yet, and then also charged her wrong, charged her 60 bux for a full head of highlights and a cut, and the stylist was like that was a 200 dollar job, you charged her 60 and she didnt even pay?? The woman was like well dont worry she will come back, her husband is a cop in this town, it's not like I couldnt find them and you'll get paid anyway, I will be the one to lose the money.

So seeing all that, I was like GOOD GRIEF.  So, I said I just need to pray about it (I'm a Christian) and then I get a call on the other line of my phone!  It was this woman who saw me on Facebook and looked at my site, she owns a very well to do salon in my town, where it's ALWAYS jam packed and the prices ain't cheap.  So, I was like wow, this is God definitely.  Because the other salon is at least 20 mins from my house and just... well, you guys know, I described it!

I went and spoke to the woman at the nice salon, she hired me!  Then on the way home, I get a call from this woman at Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals, I had put in an application a long time ago and she wants me to come in for an interview, and we spoke for a really long time, she is the one to do the hiring, and I think I basically have the job.  It's in Macys at a mall near me, and it's hourly, between 11-13, because my friend worked there.  So, that would be a great job to have while I'm trying to build my business and be in school and what not!  Also, the woman at the nice salon said once I'm done with school I can use her backroom to do all my facials and microdermabrasion and all that (I'm in school for Esthetics)..

So, all in all, this has been the best week I've had in a long time.  I've had a really tough past 5-6 years, bad bad bad dark times, depression, bad relationships and other things.  I finally got out of the relationship and did what I needed to do in other areas and now all these great things have been happening.

So, the nice salon in my town, she will do a 60/40% but I figure, she said she is going to do a big internet blast in a couple weeks to have people come to the salon, and she's willing to put in money and advertise she has a make up artist, and get booths at bridal shows, so I'm really happy!!!!  I feel beggers can be chosers, I'm just starting getting my name out there, gaining experience, I'll take the 60/40% for her, and see where it leads, and the other lady if she can get her crap together to actually pull stuff off, she claims she has 2 weddings coming up, and one of them has 9 people in it.  So, whatever, I really just want to start paying off all the debt I incurred from building this make up kit.  I have 2 airbrush machines, and the machines and the make up alone is pricey!

Okay, I'm going to shut up!

Originally Posted by Mizzjustified33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely.  I'm also going to school to be a drug and alcohol counselor, so this really is one of many jobs!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Plus also I'm in school for Esthetician

sorry girl, that was me that said that, this stupid board always trys to sign me in as my facebook account and does it sometimes without me noticing!

OMG! What a story!! Congrates on the nice salon!! If that was a sign from God than I dont know what is!  And Bare Minerals too!!! Awesome!!! You have been blessed girl!!

And, please, stay away from the drama from the other salon... it sounds like it could only get worse!

Thanks guys!!!  I hope Bare Minerals goes well tomorrow, because the best part is 50% off products!

So between the 40% off MAC products I get and if I got this job, seriously, those are the two make ups I use besides Airbrush!  And I also just applied to get the Dinair Pro Card and get 30% with them!!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  So ill be good!

Well you see!!!! God works in mysterious ways. You were going to settle for nonsense, but He had better plans for you! Congratulations, I hope you do well and go far!

The price for bridal makeup seems alarmingly low to me.  Most makeup artists that I have talked to charge $150 to $200 for bridal makeup alone.

my name is Mailynn Perez. I'm going on 23. I'm very talented when it comes to makeup. I don't have my licence  yet but I'm going for it on Nov. 5. I'm going for fashion. I'm very good with customers and making them happy. I do my own makeup and I get a lot of complements. i would love to help you in whatever you need. I'lle on time and you will not e disappointed. 

Latest posts

Back