How do you put on your makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everything except lips I use a brush.  My best friend, uses her fingers for everything including foundation and blush.  For powder she uses a puff and her makeup looks really good.  I also saw a makeup artist backstage a fashion show ues only the sponge applicators to apply eyeshadow.  I can't figure out for the life of me how to use those things and have my makeup come out looking right.  

So what do you use?

I tend to use brushes for everything except eyeliner (usually pencil), mascara (wand), and lips (directly from the tube).

I've used sponge applicators to apply eye shadows before, and quality makes a huge difference.  The sponge applicators that come in Chanel/Dior/etc. palettes are much better quality than any I've found at a drugstore or in cheaper palettes.  So that helps a lot. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I pretty much use only brushes for everything.  Today, I did notice that after I've dabbed on my concealer with a brush, I go over it with my fingers to make sure its blended well.  

I often use my fingers to blend and smooth concealer, but other than that, it's brushes for me. I prefer pencil eyeliners but I smudge that a bit with a brush too. I can't get the control I want unless I use brushes.

Until just very recently, I'd never tried an eyelid primer, so sometimes I couldn't get the intensity of color I wanted in eyeshadows using a brush, so I would sometimes opt for a sponge applicator for a heavier application, but now that I've "discovered" eyelid primers, I doubt that I'll need to use the sponges anymore, as I am totally thrilled with the way shadow looks over primer.

for my foundation, i like to use my foundation brush in round circular motion all over my face and then i go over with a regular wedge sponge to blend it in more.

for my eyes and lips, i always use brushes.

but i know the best tool that will always work for anyone are clean fingers =)

once in awhile, i'll use my fingers to blend in my foundation, i find that helps blend it just as good as sponges or brushes

Brushes, sponges and fingers for me.

I don't understand how ppl use the sponge applicators either, especially to blend, but I guess it would be similar to a flat brush which I could do. I suppose practice makes perfect?

@topic:  I always used to apply my foundation either with my fingers or with a sponge, but recently I've switched to using a professional foundation brush from Estee Lauder.

The brush was quite pricey, and at first I thought: "did I really need to pay that amount of money  for a brush?" (I tend to make impulse buys. I'm not really great with money, I admit it lol!)

It turned out that the brush was a really great investment though.

Especially since I also bought the Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation, and I find it only really looks good if it's applied with a brush. LOL (It's sort of a thickish foundation, so I find it tricky to work with any other way, although I guess you could also use a sponge.)

But I actually think it's probably a really good idea to use a brush with any foundation, because I find it's easier to control how much of the product you're applying to your face, and I think it also distributes the makeup more evenly than your fingers or a sponge. (Although obviously you still need a sponge or something for blending.) So, I think it helps the makeup application actually look better. Plus, I think I end up using less of the actual product when I apply it with a brush, so my foundation lasts a little longer, making it a good economic investment!

Usually with eyeshadow I apply it with a sponge applicator,or sometimes occasionally even with my finger. Sometimes I use brushes too though, although I've never bought a really expensive eyeshadow brush. With application technique and eyeshadow it really depends on what type of look I'm trying to do, and how much I need to blend the eyeshadow. Honestly, though, with eyeshadow I generally find that even Q-tips work really well for blending, smudging or even removing excess shadow from under my eyes (if I make a mess with it.) So I've never felt the need to buy professional eyeshadow brushes. Although I actually do own the eyeliner brush from Smashbox for their gel-cream eyeliner, which I'm a huge fan of! Obviously, it can't be applied any other way.

For blush, bronzer and powder obviously I use blush and powder brushes, but they are all of the inexpensive side. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I never really apply any lip products with a brush, unless maybe its bright red lipstick or something, and I have to make sure it's applied perfectly. Aside from that I'm generally a "straight from the tube" kind of gal! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I always use brushes for eyes. For foundation/primer/concealer I use a brush most days, but sometimes I get in there with my fingers. If I'm using my MUFE HD Microfinishing Blush, I use my fingers, but other blushes, I use a kabuki brush. Lips, I usually go straight from the tube, but occasionally, I clean it up with a lip brush. I've only recently started using powder, and I'm using a puff for that.

Usually if it's creamy, I use my fingers (primer, paint pots, cream blush).  Depending on the foundation, I use a sponge, brush or fingers.  I most often use a sponge though because it's faster for me.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I use brushes for powders and eye shadows!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Oh, and lipstick from the tube. 
icon_cool.gif

Hmm... fingers for moisturizer and primer, and a sponge for foundation. I have a MAC foundation brush but I rarely use it, only for really special occasions. I find it takes a lot longer to work with and get the finish I want with a brush compared to sponges! Fingers again for concealer, very occasionally a brush. Brushes for eyeshadows and blushes, and fingers for my liquid highlighter, although I do sometimes use a small foundation brush for that. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For eyes i use my fingers (yes...i used to use brushes...but recently i m gettin more and more lazy), and MAC 219 brush for the socket area and MAC 217 brush to blend

For face, I use MUFE kabuki brush to apply loose powder and for blusher i use MAC 129 brush

For foundation, i use fingers...

I use fingers for my primers and lip gloss that comes in small containers/tubes.  I use brush for foundation, eyeshadows and blushers.  For me using fingers takes up time and I always make a mess so I just stick with brushers. eeeeee

Originally Posted by geeko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For eyes i use my fingers (yes...i used to use brushes...but recently i m gettin more and more lazy), and MAC 219 brush for the socket area and MAC 217 brush to blend

For face, I use MUFE kabuki brush to apply loose powder and for blusher i use MAC 129 brush

For foundation, i use fingers...

To be honest, I'm starting to like the idea of using my finger just to pat on a colour I want a lot of! Like if I want a nice bold application of a really bright, pigmented shadow, I'll pat in on the lid with my finger then blend with a brush - I find it faster and easier than trying to slowly pack it on with a brush.

For my face.....I use my fingers for my primer, consealer, and liquid foundation if I use it (which I rarely do). For my powder foundation I use a brush.

For my eyes....I used brushes and sponge tip applicators.

For my lips....I use lip glosses with the built in brushes that you twist the bottoms

I only use my fingers when I'm putting on moisturizer,  foundation, and blush if its a creamy kind.  I use a brush for everything else, including my eyeliner.

Sometimes I use a pouf for my powder though.

I use brushes for almost everything. When I am not using a brush, I am using some kind of applicator that more than likely comes with the product (i.e. mascara - mascara wand). I really love the BeautyBlender. I received it as a side gift from one of my girlfriend's for my birthday last year and it's become one of my favorite beauty necessities.

Back