A very special NOTD: Pray for Japan!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to do something special as a tribute for the victims of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, so I did this manicure :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />​
I hope you guys like it! <3​
 ​
 ​
Products used:
OPI Chip Skip
OPI Nail Envy
OPI Alpine Snow
China Glaze Frosty
OPI Vodka & Caviar
Cina Nail Art - White Hearts
LA Colors Art Deco in Black
CND Speedey

Sorry, I would watch the video but I'm at work and it's blocked by websense. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by AmourAnnette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess noone watches the video >_>

The kanji means "Hope"

Beautifully done Annette!! I really admire you girls that can draw so precisely on your nails.

So beautiful! I featured on the front page. I just bought a shirt on Ruelala because 100% of the proceeds go to help the Red Cross over in Japan. 

That's pretty but that doesn't look like kibou (which means Hope in Nihongo for non-Japanese speakers). Kobou is 希望

Edited: Hate American fonts... but the difference is the 4th stroke (the kanji on the ring finger). You made the 4th stoke too long and didn't connect the "dots" (6th and 7th stokes) to the 5th stroke. Sorry, my Japanese teacher (she's from Sendai) drilled it into us that if you don't do the strokes correctly and go over or don't connect you can get a totally different meaning. We learned the kanji for kibou and the 4th stroke doesn't extend up anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love it though.

Originally Posted by AmourAnnette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like I said, I've never done kanji before, and I apologized in the video if it's not spot on. I'm not going for perfection, for that I would take a class in Japanese writing. Also, I looked at a lot of pictures of kibou and they all looked a little bit different, so I just picked one. Also, I have no idea where the strokes you are talking about are. And I can't see the characters you showed (they're showing up as two blank boxes), maybe if you found me a picture :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyways, I can't change it now, and I tried. I showed it to a few Japanese friends, and they said it looks like kibou. Maybe mine just looks more like calligraphy than "printed".

the only difference I saw was the upper right corner of the 2nd symbol should look like this:
r_tsuki.jpg
but your thing is kind of sideways with two dots instead of right side up with two lines. I'm not really a japanese reader either, but that symbol itself is a kanji I've learned (by itself, it means "month") but kanji commonly uses multiple characters and combines them to make new words.  But if you are mimicking a language you don't know at all, it's hard to tell what to look for in terms of actual letter strokes versus personal handwriting flair. (especially if you're looking at brush strokes vs handwritten -- which look very different from each other)

(Imagine a non-english reader seeing this:
220px-Westerncalligraphy.jpg
and trying to write "quill skill" based off what they see...they'd probably put a lot of marks that aren't normally there...their Q would probably look squared off on top and the tail would be way too long, and all of the "L" letters look like slightly different letters if you don't have the ability to recognize that they're all the same letter) --

Actually, I did some searching. That's EXACTLY what happened here.  The tall stroke up top that I thought was out of place is supposed to be the "downstroke" of the brush.  (When you write the american "n" there's a downstroke, then it comes back up and makes the rest of the n.  With a brush, the little top part of that downstroke is much more pronounced than it is in text or with a pencil.)  The dots are also because it's not always easy to make small precise lines with a big thick brush so a small short line lets you get the idea that it's supposed to be a line but you don't want to splotch everywhere.

This looks like your nails: 

Here's more images of the word for "hope":

(These are curvier, like someone going faster with the brush and less precise...you can kind of see it morph, but long time readers can still tell it's supposed to be the same thing...me personally if i hadn't looked it up, i wouldn't have been able to tell they were the same lol):

Hand written is on the bottom left which would be I guess the "original"?:

Good job on your nails though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Very cool idea.

I linked the pictures in through mut instead.  Yeah, you've copied the calligraphy, and I don't think you realized that what should be the left side of that section was more ... flair on the original brush artist's behalf and not really part of the official letter.  Other than that, you look spot on to a non-japanese reader haha!  It is really hard to try to copy another language if you're not familiar with it.  (honestly the whole calligraphy of english is a really good example.

OLD01-01-01-01.png
<--our letters don't normally look like that

My biggest thing is that I don't want to offend someone that might see it and think "Psh, she calls this a tribute video but she couldn't even do the characters correctly" >_>

I love this.  I love the fact that you actually took the time to do this.  Whethere you go it perfect or not is beside the point.  It's beautiful.

Back