Best Mascara Tricks...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard that wearing false eyelashes can damage your skin and pull your real ones out...

That didn't sound too appealing to me so I decided to go on a search for a more natural alternative, without going as far as eyelash extensions.

One trick that I've tried is using two different types of mascara at the same time. cTheMakeupArtist on Youtube states that it doesn't matter what kind or type of mascara it is, and it doesnt even have to be the same brand, for some reason two different mascaras have a way of bonding together to make the ultimate faux false lash....

I think that shes onto something...I tried it and I really like it. I use l'oreal voluminous with this technique, and thats already volume-building, so you can guess how big my lashes get.

So does anybody else out there have a good tip for mascara? Do you have a body-building technique, a certain brand..???

I really like Covergirl Lash Blast and Maybelline Lash Stiletto.  I wear false lashes from time to time and I find the key to removing them without damage to skin or natural lashes is to use eyemakeup remover.  It loosens the glue and the lashes come right off.

I never thought to use more than one.  Good tip!  I'm a lover of L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara but I haven't found anything else that matches it.  Maybe I'll try my Lorac 3-D Lash with it and see how it goes.  I've always wanted the look of false lashes but am a total clutz when it comes to applying them.  This may be right in my wheel house. 

I use two different mascaras a lot. It helps...and i'm rather sketchy about gluing lashes to my eyes....

I have never used false eyelashes in my life. I have always wanted to, but for some reason, I get scared to. I think they are neat, but I am just afraid of them pulling out my lashes.

Anyways, I find that applying lash primer (I really like Sephora's "Tricks of the Trade" Perfecting Lash Primer) to your lashes before applying your mascara is absolutely a great way to make your lashes standout. Mixing mascaras is an option, as well. Also, applying leave in treatments (i.e. Keratin treatments) to your lashes using a cotton ball or some sort of applicator is potentially a good way of making your lashes standout, as well.

I'm waiting for some lash primer to come in the mail so I can try that out - thanks Sarah :)

Thanks for sharing this tip. I've never tried using two different mascaras before. 

I also would like to ask:

Do any of you have short, super-straight eyelashes?  I do, and not just that, but they also point DOWN. If my eyelashes don't stay curled, they are perfect for protecting my eyes from a sandstorm.  I'll curl my eyelashes and after I apply mascara, they don't stay curled, and they go back to pointing straight down. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I feel like only a couple of mascaras I use keep my lashes staying curled, but the majority I've used revert my eyelashes to sandstorm mode.

Does anyone know of a trick to keep eyelashes staying curled after having mascara applied? 

Try some of that L'Oreal Lash Boosting serum.  That stuff works and its also curled outer lashes a bit too.

You know what, divadoll? I'm totally going to try that. Thank you! Gonna grab one of those once I get the opportunity.

I use 2 or 3 mascaras at the same time....and it works GREAT for me.  I also bend all my wands where the bristles start.  I also curve the bristle wands as well to like the back of a spoon....works great!!!

I bought the L'Oreal Lash Boosting Serum yesterday. I applied it to my lashes last night and this morning, applied the rest of my makeup, then curled my lashes, then applied the Serum like the directions told me. Um, I think I must be doing something wrong or putting too much; my curled lashes went back to being straight. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

So I waited until the serum dried, curled my lashes again, then applied the Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion. So far I've found that only Buxom Lash and The Falsies keep my lashes curled. I also found that the Clinique lash primer brings my lashes back down too. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Aaahh...!  Curse my naturally-pointing-down lashes!

I find Clinique mascara runs easily and burns my eyes when it does this. Being active I need a mascara that won't melt all over my face, I've been using Korres provitamin B5 idk if it's supposed to stimulate growth but that part isn't working!! Otherwise it's great I can apply quite a bit and it really plumps them up and if I rub my eyes for whatever reason it just flakes off without running all over the place and it's much easier to remove at the end of the day vs Clinique! I will try adding another one on top and see how I like it!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok so after reading this thread I tried using 2 mascaras (I used telescopic & MF falshe lash effect) and I don't think it made much difference.

Im hooked on my Rimmell, Im afraid to try anything else out.  I have supper oily lids and face, so mascara tends to run and/or smudge.  This stuff doesnt.  I've searched high and low for a good mascara and Im not budging! LOL!

Juntra, I've heard that waterproof mascaras are better at keeping lashes curled, I don't know why, but lots of women with lashes that have a hard time keeping a curl swear by waterproof mascaras.

My standard method has been the same ever since I first wore mascara, curl my lashes walking the curler out, curling at the base, mid-lash and again further out, then mascara, brush through with a lash brush to separate the lashes and de-clump, let it dry a bit and add more mascara, brush the clumps out again.

I'll have to try the 2-mascara technique, that sounds interesting. I tried the L'Oreal Shocking Volume mascara that comes with the lash primer, had an awful time with clumping, but it did give some wonderful lash length on the rare occasion that it didn't make a huge mess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...curl my lashes walking the curler out, curling at the base, mid-lash and again further out...

My mother taught me this method, and I still do it today.  A lot of my friends and younger cousins/nieces look at me strange whenever I do this infront of them.  Apparently this application technique went out the window!  Very few of the younger ladies I know do this, its a one stop shop for them (one press at the base, mascara, then more mascara).

I wear this at night, not during the day.

Originally Posted by Juntra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought the L'Oreal Lash Boosting Serum yesterday. I applied it to my lashes last night and this morning, applied the rest of my makeup, then curled my lashes, then applied the Serum like the directions told me. Um, I think I must be doing something wrong or putting too much; my curled lashes went back to being straight. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

So I waited until the serum dried, curled my lashes again, then applied the Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion. So far I've found that only Buxom Lash and The Falsies keep my lashes curled. I also found that the Clinique lash primer brings my lashes back down too. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Aaahh...!  Curse my naturally-pointing-down lashes!

Hey to all the girls afraid of the fake lashes!

Here's a cool simple trick to prevent your real lashes from coming off when you remove the falsies:

When you're removing the falsies, it's best to splash some warm water around the eyes to loosen up the glue. This will allow the falsies to actually come off on their own as the glue dissolves. You don't even have to pull them yourself, but you have to make sure they don't fall into the sink hole! It doesn't hurt and actually, you don't feel a thing when the falsies come off. Try this! =)

xoxo,

Roxanne

I've only worn false lashes a few times and have had zero problems with removal. I made sure that the false lashes were glued just above my natural lash line, and then just colored in the space with black eye liner.  So when I pull them off at the end of the night, it just comes/pulls right off. No problems. However, I did purchase the falsies mascara to try out since I have such long lashes. I haven't tried it yet, but I think that if the mascara is any good, I won't need falsies. My lashes are so long that they touch my sunglasses lenses.  They are pretty full on their own, too.

I've never worn 2 or more mascaras at a time. I don't need length or fullness, but not like I wouldn't try it just to see what would happen. I just purchased Clinique's lower lash mascara.  Looking forward to trying it. I always have a bit of a challenge on getting my lower lashes spread out just right b/c they are so long.  The tips stick together and I want them to just go straight down. I don't have any problems with my lashes being curled. I have a lot of natural curl in them already, but I still like to curl them at the base, middle and ends. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that you could use 2 differend mascaras.

There is a better eye lash primer than Clinique's. I love love love UD's eye lash primer.  It really holds the curl and fans out my lashes really well. I'm on my second tube and can't say enough positive things about it. I can't think of any negative things about it.

Latest posts

Back