New foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to find a new foundation but I'm unsure which. I want to try mac but not sure if to go for face and body or studio fix. I'm currently using Dior skin nude. And wanting a medium coverage. I don't mind as long as it don't look full and mask like Any help would be great Thank you

Do you prefer a liquid foundation or a mineral foundation? I use to use liquid but I felt like it was way to heavy! I love mineral foundation. I can control the coverage and it works perfectly for my sensitive skin. I was a loyal Bare Minerals user until I started to break out.(I have never had acne) It was an allergic reaction to the bismuth. I have now switched to Hello Minerals. So far so good. I get compliments everyday on my skin. Funny-my makeup looks that flawless. Good luck on your foundation journey. It can be so frustrating.

If you want makeup that doesn't look mask like, I'd go with anything that says Face and body. Those tend to be lighter, but buildable.

Sometimes ppl complain that MAC's formula breaks them out, so you could look into alternative brands.

I love the new L'Oreal Paris "Magic Smooth Souffle" foundation. It's very buildable but goes on light as air. The only problem is that it isn't the best foundation for dry skin. It tends to seem very flaky if the skin isn't completely smooth. I suggest if you do try this, you gently exfoliate before using it, and then using a primer of some sort. (L'Oreal's new face base is awesome!)

Whichever foundation you decide to try, I suggest you buy it at a place where they will let you return it if you don't like how it looks and feels OR a place where you can try it out first. Retail stores like CVS and Walmart will take a return for used makeup no questions asked. Sephora stores and mail orders will do returns as well. And higher end department stores of course have the opportunity to try them too.

If you think you want to go with a mineral foundation, try one that is 100% pure. I use LA Minerals which comes in several different shades and formulas. They have a great deal where you buy 5 samples and you get 5 free!!  You can find them at www.laminerals.com When my skin is slightly irritated from windburn or a break out, or when I don't need a really "creamy" foundation, I use my minerals. Even when I go out at night for an evening of dancing, I will put a light cover of the mineral OVER my L'Oreal for super-long wearing!

Good luck with your search!

I currently use the Mac Studio Fix Plus Powder foundation and I love it!

It matches me perfectly and covers everything and makes my face look flawless.

If you use the sponge it comes with it's full coverage and if I use a brush it can be light to medium.

It has great staying power and controls the oil on my face well too.

As long as I make sure to clean my face well I haven't noticed any acne from it. (I was scared to use it at first cause reviewers complained of bad acne from it)

My only complaint seems to be that it tends to transfer. But being new to makeup I'm convinced I'm possibly not applying it correctly, lol.

I'd say it's worth a shot if you're considering it, Mac seems to have a decent return policy if you dislike it. :]

And I hate the L'Oreal Paris "Magic Smooth Souffle. The stuff went on my skin like a cake mush and I ended up returning it. Waste of money in my opinion but it does show that what works and is liked by one person may not work and is not liked by someone else.

Summers, what is your price point and what kind of skin do you have? Oily, combination, dry?

My favorite is the HD creme foundation by Graftobian (i fall into their neutral line). I'm also loving the Dior Airflash, however it seems to go quickly (and has a hefty pricetag). I apply the airflash with a stipple brush, it gives a really great finish.  Good luck with your foundation hunt!

Back