Question for those of you who use/have used Mac Studio Fix Plus Powder Foundation.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've asked around on a couple forums and yet to find someone who can give me a better answer than "I don't know", lol.

Maybe I'm the only one having this problem with it but I'm desperate for a fix.

I absolutely love this foundation, everything about it is perfect except one thing; it transfers!

I'm hoping maybe I'm doing something wrong and there's a way to prevent this.

After I wash my face in the morning I use my moisturizer, wait a minute or two then put this on (I apply it with the sponge it comes with cause it's easier, works better and is quicker for me than a brush) and mascara and I'm done.

Am I forgetting something? Do I need primer? Is the sponge the problem?

I've recently tried using a brush after I apply it to kind of dust off any excess powder that might be laying there and it doesn't transfer in as big of amounts as it used to but it still does.

I still find streaks of it on my jacket or even more embarrassing, it's transferred off on my friend's shirt once when I hugged her and then left a bit of powder on someone's nose when I kissed them.
unsure.gif

I'm not really sure if that's just how this is and I need to find a new foundation or if I just need to do something different.

The only foundations that I've had that didn't transfer at all have been longwear liquid foundations like Revlon Colorstay and Estee Lauder Double Wear.

Sorry, I'm no help!

Oh, it's ok. :]

I've tried Revlon Colorstay but I had so many problems with it. It burned and itched and caused acne (well, more than I usually have, lol)

I haven't tried Estee Lauder and I was actually going to try Double Wear before I decided on Studio Fix.

My skin is really oily so I thought that Studio Fix would help absorb the oil better. I've been told not to use liquid foundation for oily skin.

Plus my exprience with liquid foundation hasn't been too positive. I had Clinique Acne Solutions previous to the Revlon CS and that always oxidized on me and made me look so orange! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But every powder foundation I've tried seems to transfer. My last foundation was BareMinerals, that was horrible!

I'm new to makeup so I haven't tried too much and I'm open to any suggestions for oily acne prone skin. :]

Originally Posted by Miss.Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've asked around on a couple forums and yet to find someone who can give me a better answer than "I don't know", lol.

Maybe I'm the only one having this problem with it but I'm desperate for a fix.

I absolutely love this foundation, everything about it is perfect except one thing; it transfers!

I'm hoping maybe I'm doing something wrong and there's a way to prevent this.

After I wash my face in the morning I use my moisturizer, wait a minute or two then put this on (I apply it with the sponge it comes with cause it's easier, works better and is quicker for me than a brush) and mascara and I'm done.

Am I forgetting something? Do I need primer? Is the sponge the problem?

I've recently tried using a brush after I apply it to kind of dust off any excess powder that might be laying there and it doesn't transfer in as big of amounts as it used to but it still does.

I still find streaks of it on my jacket or even more embarrassing, it's transferred off on my friend's shirt once when I hugged her and then left a bit of powder on someone's nose when I kissed them.
unsure.gif

I'm not really sure if that's just how this is and I need to find a new foundation or if I just need to do something different.
Yeah, I've used MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation before too and I also found that it transfers like crazy. I found that when I applied MAC's Prep and Prime foundation primer (I like the one with SPF 50 personally because I'm uber fair lol) first it helped somewhat. The foundation actually went on a lot smoother and generally looked a little better. It probably helped with the transfer problem somewhat because the foundation definitely didn't come off as easily when worn with the primer. I needed a really good makeup remover to take it all off. It's been a few years since I've used that foundation though, so overall I guess I wasn't completely impressed with it either lol! But to be honest with you, I find that most foundations transfer at least somewhat. The best non-transfer foundation I've found so far is Estee Lauder's Double Wear. I guarantee you, if you use Double Wear foundation it won't transfer on to anything at all. The only thing I'll warn you about though is that you really should apply it using a good foundation brush because it's sort of thick in texture (it almost feels like the texture of paint) so it's hard to apply any other way. Don't use a lot of it..it has really excellent coverage so you actually don't need a lot. And it's really hard to remove if you use too much. You definitely need a makeup remover for waterproof products to get it off. Also, I find I can actually feel it on my face when I'm wearing it, and it makes my skin feel a little bit "tight" so I think it might be a little bit drying, like a lot of waterproof non-transfer makeup is. Because of that I won't wear it on a regular basis since it's not that comfortable for me. But if you're really concerned about makeup transfer you might want to give it a try.

Edit: My skin is a little oily in the T zone, especially during the summer months. I'm not especially prone to getting acne though. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to recommend for your skin type. I've been told though that mineral makeup is supposed to be the best option for people with "sensitive skin", allergies or acne though because it's one hundred percent natural and apparently it doesn't get any real bacteria build up in it the way other makeup does. I think it's the bacteria build up other products can get that causes skin "issues." I'm not an expert though and I don't know that much on this subject, sorry lol.

It sounds like this product is oxidizing on your skin. What kind of moisturizer are you wearing? First and foremost, I would definitely hold off on the moisturizer and substitute the moisturizer that you do apply, with a primer. I would also try another applicator. The sponge that comes with this product could play a role with the actual amount of product you do apply.

If I were in this situation, I would probably switch to a different foundation. Dior's Diorskin Forever Extreme Foundation is great. It feels like a second skin and literally hydrates and moisturizes, but is also oil-free and works great with adjusting to your skin type. It doesn't oxidize on the skin.

I've tried 3 different ways of applying it and it still transfers. I don't expect it to not transfer at all just not as much, it shouldn't look like your whole face just rubbed off, lol.

I may have to give that primer a try then and see if it helps any. I've been told several times despite my foundation to use a primer.

I've tried Smashbox primer (the clear one) and I thought it made no difference, especially with the Studio Fix.

I guess it sounds like I really should just look into a new foundation. I won't say that Mac is the only one I have to use I just hate the process of finding a new product, lol.

I've been considering the Double Wear foundation, only I'm not sure that I need heavy coverage like that sounds to be.

Maybe more like medium would be great. If I did decide on it though, is there a brush you'd recommend to apply it with?

I don't have very many brushes, I just got the studio set from ELF.

Thank you for the very helpful response and tips here. :] My skin is really oily so the drying effect may be good for me, lol.

Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I've used MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation before too and I also found that it transfers like crazy. I found that when I applied MAC's Prep and Prime foundation primer (I like the one with SPF 50 personally because I'm uber fair lol) first it helped somewhat. The foundation actually went on a lot smoother and generally looked a little better. It probably helped with the transfer problem somewhat because the foundation definitely didn't come off as easily when worn with the primer. I needed a really good makeup remover to take it all off. It's been a few years since I've used that foundation though, so overall I guess I wasn't completely impressed with it either lol! But to be honest with you, I find that most foundations transfer at least somewhat. The best non-transfer foundation I've found so far is Estee Lauder's Double Wear. I guarantee you, if you use Double Wear foundation it won't transfer on to anything at all. The only thing I'll warn you about though is that you really should apply it using a good foundation brush because it's sort of thick in texture (it almost feels like the texture of paint) so it's hard to apply any other way. Don't use a lot of it..it has really excellent coverage so you actually don't need a lot. And it's really hard to remove if you use too much. You definitely need a makeup remover for waterproof products to get it off. Also, I find I can actually feel it on my face when I'm wearing it, and it makes my skin feel a little bit "tight" so I think it might be a little bit drying, like a lot of waterproof non-transfer makeup is. Because of that I won't wear it on a regular basis since it's not that comfortable for me. But if you're really concerned about makeup transfer you might want to give it a try.

Edit: My skin is a little oily in the T zone, especially during the summer months. I'm not especially prone to getting acne though. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to recommend for your skin type. I've been told though that mineral makeup is supposed to be the best option for people with "sensitive skin", allergies or acne though because it's one hundred percent natural and apparently it doesn't get any real bacteria build up in it the way other makeup does. I think it's the bacteria build up other products can get that causes skin "issues." I'm not an expert though and I don't know that much on this subject, sorry lol.

Oxidizing? Usually that's what you refer the orange-ish effect to, I've never heard it having anything to do with transferring?

I use an oil controlling moisturizer called Alba AcneDote. If I was to forgo the moisturizer my skin would be an oily mess in no time flat and the foundation would slip off my face.

Before I started using this moisturizer I had this issue (and a few others), so I can't see anything good happening by not using it.

As far as primer goes, as I just mentioned in my previous post I tried the Smashbox one everybody raves about and I didn't feel it made any difference.

So I guess I'll look into the one that LadyDragonFire suggested.

I may end up switching if I can't find a solution to this. I guess it seems my best bet is trying a primer.

I'm not sure that Dior Forever Extreme would work for me as it's a moisturizing foundation and I don't need any help in that department.

My skin has more than enough moisture and I'm having troubles controlling the amount it does produce. Thank you anyways.

Originally Posted by Sarah Afshar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sounds like this product is oxidizing on your skin. What kind of moisturizer are you wearing? First and foremost, I would definitely hold off on the moisturizer and substitute the moisturizer that you do apply, with a primer. I would also try another applicator. The sponge that comes with this product could play a role with the actual amount of product you do apply.

If I were in this situation, I would probably switch to a different foundation. Dior's Diorskin Forever Extreme Foundation is great. It feels like a second skin and literally hydrates and moisturizes, but is also oil-free and works great with adjusting to your skin type. It doesn't oxidize on the skin.

Oxidizing occurs when any kind of chemical element (and usually there are at least two or more) promptly transfers into any kind of oxygen molecule. It is not always an orangish effect. This is caused by your moisturizer simply because you mentioned the word "acne" and one of the biggest chemicals that causes oxidizing is hydrogen peroxide. There are also an array of other chemicals used primarily in acne friendly products that can create oxidizing to the skin. I would definitely switch your moisturizer because this will happen with every other foundation you use, simply because the moisturizer itself possesses chemicals that are responsive.

I would recommend one of the following moisturizers...

-Juice Beauty Oil-Free Moisturizer

-Nude Skincare Moisture Balance

-Bliss Clean Mattifying Moisturizer

and I would also recommend one of the following primers...

-Laura Mercier Foundation Primer (Oil-Free)

-Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base

-LORAC aquaPRIME Oil-Free Primer

Ah, ok. I get what you're saying now.

Someone else was telling me that Salicylic Acid causes your foundation to oxidize too, not sure if that's true? But if it is, that may be the issue. The moisturizer I'm using right now has that in it.

Although just last month I was using Oil Free Neutrogena moisturizer and I still had that problem and it had no acne ingredients in that one.

My biggest issue is the fact that my skin is sooo oily, that's why I can't seem to find a moisturizer that works for me. This acne one seems to help a bit but it seems like from what you're saying it won't work with any make up.
dong.gif

Do you think that if I forgo the moisturizer in the day (on the days I do wear make up) it'd help keep my foundation from oxidizing? As I said, my skin is incredibly oily, I doubt it'd miss the moisture during the day, lol.

If not, I'll look into one of the ones you mentioned. Thank you for the recommendations. :]

Do you really think primer plays a big role in this?

I'm not sure if I should just skip the moisturizer or buy a primer?

Thank you again for the help.

If your skin is oily, you don't need a moisturizer. I would definitely invest in a primer. When I wear moisturizer before I apply foundation, I have a similar issue, which is why I do not moisturize before applying it. I used an array of products before I realized what the issue actually was. Also, because I have my own cosmetic line, I had no choice but to do research as to what was the actual cause of the issue. After contemplating and debating the issue, I just decided to add the moisturizing regime in my nighttime routine. If you have oily skin, there is no need to apply moisturizer under your makeup. If your skin were dry, I can understand, but your skin is oily, so moisturizing really isn't necessary during the day. If I were you, I would just use moisturizer at night, before bed and/or on days you don't wear makeup. You can find a great primer that works well with your individual skin type that will not cause any oxidation or transfer issues, especially those that I recommended previously. You are very welcome, BTW.

Try using a setting spray after you apply the mac powder foundation.  Urban Decay makes several good ones.  I find that these setting sprays fix the product so it does not move or transfer, and they also get rid of the powdery matte look.  Your skin will end up looking more like real skin, but just better.  Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back