Did the recession affect you (or your beauty buying)?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently reading an article that even though the recession affected so many industries, the beauty industry still soared.  I can't say that it did for me as it did not affect me (in Trinidad) much, if at all.  I know for sure my sister and other family members abroad spent less on certain things (things like beauty items that were not neccesities) during the recession...what about you?

my own personal finances remained intact during the recession. however, the awareness of so many others being out of work and having trouble affording true necessities did impact my choices for spending my money. i realized in jan. of 2010 that i had hoarded much too much makeup and really just stopped buying every new thing as i used to.

so for me it was in a way out of respect to extended family members and friends that have been hurting as well as just seeing i don't need to have so much. also, i am amused at the news reports that the recession is ending: the same people i have seen struggle are still struggling.

Well, in my experience a lot of my friends and I DID NOT stop going to the salon and nail places because of economic times.  In the past the beauty industry always managed to maintain a steady income.  The theory is that people still want to look good/boost their image in depressing times to help go thru the difficulties of life.

I did not cut down on any beauty rituals/supplies/etc until my S/O lost his job (September 2010).  I balanced my budget and cut back on other things before he had lost his job, but now, everything is scaled back.

I took of my acrylic nails in December and Im letting my hair grow out to avoid monthly salon visits (I still go, just not as often) and EVERYTHING is budgeted.  Even makeup.  I dont deny myself, but I make sure I tell my money where to go before its gone and I forget to by milk! LOL!

I took a break somewhat from how much I was spending. But then I considered that I do my own pampering: hair, facials, nails etc. I don't shop for clothing or accessories often at all and what I spend could be alot more. So now I'm back to spending on beauty.

The hubby and I just talked about this this past weekend.  Even though we haven't been affected "yet", there's alot of craziness going on with the economy and gas prices soaring *again*.  So, we've decided to scale back and keep to a tight budget so we can save for any unfortunate happening.  I'll still buy makeup but it will have to be something I really need and budgeted for. 

It did.  I started looking at drugstore brands and found that some of them are just as good if not better than higher end stuff.

A few years ago, I started going to spas to get my haircuts.  Now I go to Supercuts or other cheap places.  My hair is long with long layers so it's not a complicated cut anyways.  The spa experience was a nice treat, but it wasn't worth the money.

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The hubby and I just talked about this this past weekend.  Even though we haven't been affected "yet", there's alot of craziness going on with the economy and gas prices soaring *again*.  So, we've decided to scale back and keep to a tight budget so we can save for any unfortunate happening.  I'll still buy makeup but it will have to be something I really need and budgeted for. 

You know what's funny, we had that discussion too, and I said I was gonna move back home (Trinidad) and sell fruit on the highway if worse comes to worse.

I would have to say that in the last year I have cut back a bit on spending money on beauty products. For the most part though, I just became more aware of different deals and discounts. I would shop for things towards the end of the month with the left over cash after all my bills were paid. I also made good use of gift cards that I'd been saving for bigger ticket items. Overall I think the biggest expense that I cut back on would be coloring my hair. I used to color my hair all the time. Now I let my regrowth sit a little longer before I touch it up and I've been sticking to colors closer to my natural color so that it's easier to grow it out a bit instead of the brighter colors I used to do. I used to get my nails done all the time but since the recession, I've gotten more patient with the brush and now I mostly do my nails myself.

Not for me even though my husband had been out of a job for 2 years. I'll tell what did effect me for many years was having a baby! But now my daughter is 13 and wearing a little makeup herself so I'm back to buying more and more makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I definately don't buy expensive foundation primer (my MUFEHD Blue I reserve for special occasions, and just use Hard Candy on an everyday basis) anymore, and rarely buy high-end mascara. I used to replace and repurchase DiorShow Unlimited religiously, but now I just stick to drugstore mascaras. I also try when I do buy high-end makeup, to do it when Murale or department stores are having GWPs, or Optimum Bonus Days. I don't buy nearly as much MAC as I used to, I've discovered some great drugstore HGs, fallen madly in love with Wet n Wild. I notice the biggest change I've had to make is cutting back on clothes shopping - I can't really do both makeup/skincare, and clothes with the current financial climate.

Latest posts

Back