ELF Rant (just a little one)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got another shipment yesterday from ELF and I inspected it to make sure I received everything.  Everything looked good.  I swatched my nail polishes, sniffed my body butter, messed with my eyelash curler and even tried pumping my face primer.  It wouldnt pump so I thought "maybe it has a seal over it or I just need to pump more to get it started".  I put it all away.  Then today, I go to do my makeup and try my primer out.  NOTHING!  I opened it up looking for a seal.  NOPE! No seal.  I look at the pump stick and its totally clean.  I look inside and all I see is the white plastic container with nothing in there.  I was shocked.  No product.  I've emailed them to let them know and honestly I'm in disbelief here.  Has anyone else received a manufacturers defect?  Be it beauty related or not?  

Oh sweety that's awful, but kinda funny lol!! I have never heard of this and I bet it's even more disappointing since you've been waiting how many weeks for it to come in the mail!! I would expect a lifetime of free product from them or at least a years worth fight for the farm girly!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm still sitting here wondering if I should laugh or be angry.  I've only got maybe 2/3 more applicatons left with my Laura Geller Spackle primer so what do I do in the meantime?  I purposely placed this order to get the primer in time and now I'm SOL.  I think I'll meander over to the Best Drugstore Brands thread and look for an alternate primer till I get my replacement.  DANG THIS STINKS!!!!!!

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still sitting here wondering if I should laugh or be angry.  I've only got maybe 2/3 more applicatons left with my Laura Geller Spackle primer so what do I do in the meantime?  I purposely placed this order to get the primer in time and now I'm SOL.  I think I'll meander over to the Best Drugstore Brands thread and look for an alternate primer till I get my replacement.  DANG THIS STINKS!!!!!!

I've actually had that happen to me it was years ago and I can't recall what it was I bought but it came in a pump and nothing came out, looked in the bottle only to find it empty... Oh I remember what it was... it was a body lotion by Nivea. LOL

As for a drugstore replacement... try Hard Candy's primer at Walmart. I have to go back to Rite Aid today because I bought some Wet 'n' Wild nail polishes and realized after the fact that it never rung up at 40% off. ALL WnW products are 40% off and nothing rang up correctly.

OMG!!  I would be LIVID....one of the brushes I recently got from them (the flat topped powder brush) started shedding like CRAZY!!!  When I got it I simply scooped my hands over it to feel the texture and boy was that a big mistake!!!  strands came out by the tens.  I'm yet to use it, I'm so scared to actually wash it :/

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've actually had that happen to me it was years ago and I can't recall what it was I bought but it came in a pump and nothing came out, looked in the bottle only to find it empty... Oh I remember what it was... it was a body lotion by Nivea. LOL

As for a drugstore replacement... try Hard Candy's primer at Walmart. I have to go back to Rite Aid today because I bought some Wet 'n' Wild nail polishes and realized after the fact that it never rung up at 40% off. ALL WnW products are 40% off and nothing rang up correctly.
I have to go to Walmart today anyways so I'll give the Hard Candy a try.  Were you just as in shock as I was when you found an empty bottle??? 

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG!!  I would be LIVID....one of the brushes I recently got from them (the flat topped powder brush) started shedding like CRAZY!!!  When I got it I simply scooped my hands over it to feel the texture and boy was that a big mistake!!!  strands came out by the tens.  I'm yet to use it, I'm so scared to actually wash it :/

I almost got the flat topped brush but waited instead for the Stipple Brush.  I'm soooooo glad I didnt get it now!

Well, they sure do reply quickly!  Now lets see how long it takes for the replacement to get here.  Until then, I'm off to Walmart for some Hard Candy 
wink.gif

[SIZE=12pt]We apologize for the item(s) missing or damaged from your order.
We are sending the item(83401 Mineral Infused Face Primer ) to you as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
the e.l.f. team
e.l.f. Cosmetics Affordable Luxury
Ph. 212-239-1530

www.eyeslipsface.com
www.AskELF.com... a place for e.l.f. fans to meet, share makeup tips, and get noticed!

Follow us on Twitter at: http://Twitter.com/askelf
Become a Fan on Facebook at: http://facebook.eyeslipsface.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/eyeslipsfacedotcom
Friend us on MySpace at: www.myspace.com/eyeslipsface

[/SIZE]

Yes! I was lucky that I bought it a Rite Aid so I was able to get a quick exchange but it taught me a lesson when picking stuff up... compare it to another bottle! LOL In your case since you got it in the mail I'd be REALLY angry since you not only had to wait a long time to get it in the first place but now will have to wait to get an exchange.

Glad to see they replied so fast. That's the nice thing about ELF, they seem to have great customer service.

As for Hard Candy there are three or four primers and I have to warn you that many Walmart's Hard Candy sections suck. I'm CONSTANTLY complaining to Hard Candy about my local Walmarts sections. Unfortunately many HC stuff is not available to order from Walmart.com and HC doesn't sell online like NYX or ELF. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://www.hardcandy.com/products.php?cat=5#529

http://www.hardcandy.com/products.php?cat=5#527

I always eyeball the Hard Candy section of my local Walmart so I know they have a pretty good selection.  I just never got past all the colors in their eyeliners, mascaras etc to look for primer.  And I remember picking up my bottle thinking "Jeez that's light!"  People have talked about how little comes in a bottle and I may want to order more than one so that was in the back of my mind when I lifted it and it was REALLY light.  Little did I know at the time, the reason it was sooooo light is because it was empty!  From now on, when I'm at the store, I'll do the same.  Compare it to another bottle. 

I always eyeball the Hard Candy section of my local Walmart so I know they have a pretty good selection.  I just never got past all the colors in their eyeliners, mascaras etc to look for primer.  And I remember picking up my bottle thinking "Jeez that's light!"  People have talked about how little comes in a bottle and I may want to order more than one so that was in the back of my mind when I lifted it and it was REALLY light.  Little did I know at the time, the reason it was sooooo light is because it was empty!  From now on, when I'm at the store, I'll do the same.  Compare it to another bottle. 
You're lucky your Walmart has a good selection... there are three Wally Worlds in my area and two of the three are horrible at keeping the shelves in stock or clean. I hardly ever go to the third since it's further away than the other two and the last time I went not only did their HC section looked better than the other two's but their prices were actually $1 less per item! I was mad about that since I bought a HC foundation at the other Walmart for $7 and at that Walmart it was $6! LOL It's not worth the gas to go out there to say a whole dollar though... if I had more stuff to buy then yes.

I took this pic the morning I bought the foundation... It looks partially full but don't be fooled, there was just one of certain items but most of the packaging were open, torn, damaged or used. The only things they had lots of were the nail polishes on clearance from $5 to $4. LOL Some clearance! LOL I wish HC was sold at other stores than just Walmart.

I just got the nobody`s perfect concealer palette on clearance for 4 bucks and it is awesome, first thing from that brand that I tried but I`ll definitely be looking there next time I need something!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just got back and I picked up the Hard Candy Sheer Envy for $8.  I'm used to my primer being translucent so this one kinda surprised me when it came out creamy white.  Hopefully I wont need alot to cover my face.  Usually 2 little pumps of LG and I'm covered.  I can say though that this is very very smooth (not oily at all) on the skin.

I think the reason my Walmart is totally stocked is because they have their own cosmetics department.  In order to leave the area, you have to pay at a special register and there's always 2 or 3 workers right there keeping an eye out.  No shoplifting 
biggrin.gif

I just got back and I picked up the Hard Candy Sheer Envy for $8.  I'm used to my primer being translucent so this one kinda surprised me when it came out creamy white.  Hopefully I wont need alot to cover my face.  Usually 2 little pumps of LG and I'm covered.  I can say though that this is very very smooth (not oily at all) on the skin.

I think the reason my Walmart is totally stocked is because they have their own cosmetics department.  In order to leave the area, you have to pay at a special register and there's always 2 or 3 workers right there keeping an eye out.  No shoplifting 
biggrin.gif

See our original Walmart was like that as well. I loved it when Walmart had it's own cosmetic section with a register. The was the Walmart I worked for and helped setup after it was built. That was when Walmart also was very product of it's American made products so it's been 17 years since I've worked for Walmart. They closed that Walmart when they built the new Super Walmart which was the first of three. The second Super Walmart, here, is under going it's 10th Anniversary make over so hopefully once it's done they re-add a cosmetic section/register.

As for the primer... that one is creamy white but it goes on the skin invisibly. I like it, I don't think it's the very best primer out there but for less than $10 it's pretty good... much better than L'Oreal's Professional Secret which reminds me of candle wax.

Ahh that totally happened to me at Ulta last year! I bought an Almay cream foundation compact, opened the package, and it was an EMPTY plastic compact! IT WAS EVEN SEALED WITH A FOIL CASING LOL! I took it back to Ulta and the manager was like.. umm..

That is so funny, I would have just laughed at that point, I would have been pissed but what can you do but laugh and do exactly what you did and contact them.

Anyways, I've used both skin illuminating primer in the purple bottle by Hard Candy and also the skin perfecting primer in the pink bottle by Hard Candy and it is really good!

ELF is a strange company. I sent an email to their corporate office in NY, telling them that it was unacceptable the way that they package and ship their products, and that they are wasting tons of money having to re-ship broken or wrong items. 

I really think they should re-evaluate how they want to present themselves to their customers. I really like some of the products I have by ELF, but I don't know how long it will be before I feel like subjecting myself to ordering from them again.

Back