Lady Gaga Angers Religious Groups With Song “Judas”

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lady Gaga Angers Religious Groups With Song “Judasâ€

Lady Gaga’s latest single “Judas†has been released early after leaking onto the Internet early and already has people angry, saying the lyrics are sacrilegious. Lady Gaga’s new track is reportedly told from Mary Magdelene’s perspective, with lyrics including, “When he comes to me, I am ready/ I’ll wash his feet with my hair if he needs/ Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain/ Even after three times, he betrays me/ I’ll bring him down, a king with no crown…â€

Religious organizations are pissed, including the Catholic League. “This is a stunt… Lady Gaga tries to continue to shock Catholics and Christians in general: she dresses as a nun… she swallows the rosary. She has now morphed into a caricature of herself,†Catholic League President Bill Donohue stated.

But Gaga’s creative director, Laurieann Gibson, said they tried hard not to be offensive. “It went through several changes and late-night debates because at one point, there were two completely different “views and I was like, ‘Listen, I don’t want lightning to strike me! I believe in the gospel and I’m not going there,’†she stated. “And it was amazing because to have that conversation about salvation, peace and the search for the truth in a room of non-believers and believers, to me, that was saying God is active in a big way. And the place that it came to is surreal.

We don’t touch on things that we have no right touching upon, but the inspiration and the soul and idea that out of your oppression, your darkness, your Judas, you can come into the marvelous light. So it’s about the inspiration and to never give up… We’ve created a new Jerusalem.â€

Source

So, what's sooo different about Gaga that Madonna hasn't already touched? Hello! Dancing in a church half naked and licking the feet of a Jesus. 

This girl is driving me nuts... Puh-lease. Faker.

This is very reminiscent of Madonna in "Just like a Prayer".  I never understood why the catholic religion (and yes I'm catholic) pays any attention to this.  Its just a song, she's just an artist and the last time I checked, Freedom of Speech was still one of our rights here in the good ole U.S. of A.  People need to lighten up and take it for what it is.....pure entertainment.  

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, what's sooo different about Gaga that Madonna hasn't already touched? Hello! Dancing in a church half naked and licking the feet of a Jesus. 

I agree with you......been there, done that.  She needs to come up with something a little more "original". 

I guess some people get irked when people make a mockery of their religion. 
sadno.gif

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess some people get irked when people make a mockery of their religion. 
sadno.gif

Being a catholic myself, I have to say that my religion has made itself into its own mockery with sex scandals involving priests and altar boys. What Lady Gaga says and does shouldn't be tops on their radar.  This reminds me very much of the old "book burning".  Do they really feel that our children will all of a sudden forget their faith and blindly follow what Gaga says?  If so, I haven't done my job as a parent and our church has failed as well.  Maybe they feel that bad publicity is better than no publicity?  Sometimes I feel like people arent happy unless they are complaining about something.  I dunno but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this one. 

I feel like the more people/institutions protest or complain about something, the more interest and attention they draw to it.  Their best defense would be to ignore it all together.  Don't throw gas on an already hot fire.

This. I'm over this girl (not that I was ever into her...).

I actually thought the song had nothing more than a biblical metaphor. I always though the song was talking about how a lover betrays someone but even after all that pain they are still forgiven... and using the metaphor gives a scenario of this betrayal but without actually having any biblical meaning except retelling the story. O.O

I mean those are handed down stories right and people retell stories all the time. She happens to be catholic too...isnt it already clear that she doesn't like fitting into what is accepted by the masses? and i wouldn't really say she's a copy. all her other songs get copied rather than are copies of something alreay done. she is a trendsetter(she has all female artists wearing leotards in all their videos and stuff and wearing crazy makeup and bows, and beyonce did video phone after she helped with telephone and since gaga and timbaland started using edm beats in their music, every other artist started mainstreaming something that was meant for underground. et c. also, i never saw another person wear a meat outfit to something so....) she is about defying the norms and, while i dont wish to admit this, the shock value. i find it funny that people can get worked up over things like this. if i got offended everytime someone told a racist joke then i would forever be angry. and that doesnt sound too appealing at all. but yeah, im kind over gaga. and i never really liked madonna but i never really heard any madonna either. :/

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is very reminiscent of Madonna in "Just like a Prayer".  I never understood why the catholic religion (and yes I'm catholic) pays any attention to this.  Its just a song, she's just an artist and the last time I checked, Freedom of Speech was still one of our rights here in the good ole U.S. of A.  People need to lighten up and take it for what it is.....pure entertainment.  

You're right, freedom of speech is allowed. This is why Gaga can sing her song, but it's also why the Catholic Church is allowed to speak out against it, it works both ways. I am not Catholic, so it doesn't really apply to me that much but I haven't liked Lady GaGa for a long time. I agree with quite a few people here, she's basically an imitation of Madonna, and I don't really care for her political views either. So in my case, she can go ahead and sing her songs and continue to shock people, but I won't be listening. I've had about all I can take of her.

Also, if they were "trying hard not to be offensive," why didn't they pick a different metaphor? It's really not that hard. They could have come up with something just as shocking.

I finally saw this and not really sure what it all means.   I agree that the religious concerns are overstated.   The songs not so great and without any attention it would just go away.

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're right, freedom of speech is allowed. This is why Gaga can sing her song, but it's also why the Catholic Church is allowed to speak out against it, it works both ways. I am not Catholic, so it doesn't really apply to me that much but I haven't liked Lady GaGa for a long time. I agree with quite a few people here, she's basically an imitation of Madonna, and I don't really care for her political views either. So in my case, she can go ahead and sing her songs and continue to shock people, but I won't be listening. I've had about all I can take of her.

Also, if they were "trying hard not to be offensive," why didn't they pick a different metaphor? It's really not that hard. They could have come up with something just as shocking.
Amen

I love her even though she is similar to Madonna. They are both Italian! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gaga makes me want to DANCE! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also love the British version of Lady Gaga - Natalia Kills.

Back