Foundation Primers: Necessary or Waste of Money??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's really necessary to use a primer under foundation, or if foundation primers are just another way for us to spend more money on our makeup? I've never worn a primer under foundation, and none of my family/friends who wear make up have ever worn foundation primer?  I've noticed there are quite a few foundation primers on the market, and some of them are pretty pricey.  Do you guys think that primers really do make a difference or are just a waste of money?

Two things I've noticed after I started using a primer is that my makeup doesn't seem to disappear halfway thru the day and I need less foundation to get the same amount of coverage.  And yes, there are some really pricey primers out there and I just don't think it's worth it.  But, a more inexpensive primer that will help your expensive foundation last longer, hmmm...that is worth it.  Some that I've liked are Rimmel, which would work well for your skin tone as it is slightly orange based, it comes off really sheer tho.  Covergirl Simply Ageless, not good if you have oilier skin.  And the newest one I got to use this summer, Avon Magix Face Perfector, which has mattifying properties, which I wouldn't recommend for dry skin.  I've heard rave reviews about the highend ones, of course.  I swear some gurus rave about high end stuff because they need to justify the price in their minds, but that's another topic.  If you compare the active ingredients in the high end stuff and drug store stuff, you are not going to find much difference.  Hope this helps.

I used to use moisturizer as an eyeshadow primer, before I'd even heard of eyeshadow primers. It was just a beauty trick I picked up somewhere. When I learned there was eyeshadow primers on the market, I dismissed them as a money-making gimmick. I think they are honestly, you can get the same effect with moisturizer.

As for foundation primer, I'm still testing the one I have out. I use moisturizer and primer, so I dunno. I have large pores but no wrinkles yet that need to be filled in, maybe I should quit using primer for a while and see if I notice a difference.

thanks for the responses!

@jean- i been watching a couple reviews on youtube, and ofcourse, there are always certain "gurus" who do rave about just about everything that's expensive (which is no help at all). I definitely don't want to dish out as much or more than I would for a foundation for a primer. I've heard really good think about the Avon Magix Perfector, as well as the Mark Primed for Perfection.  I've also read rave reviews for the Make Up Forever and NARS Primers.  After being disappointed with the NARS foundation, I don't even want look twice at that one.  Also, after just picking up the MUFE foundation, I don't want to shell out the money for their expensive primer, as much as I like the foundation.  I just wasn't sure if the primers actually made a different with the look and wear of the foundation or not. I might pick up the Rimmel one when I stop at Walmart. I've never tried their products. 

@andrea- thanks! that's actually a really good idea to use moisturizer as eyeshadow primer. I never even thought about doing that before. I'll have to try that.  I want a bit more vibrancy with my shadows, and as much as I liked my sample of the Urban Decay Primer Potion, I can't see myself purchasing the full size of that. Too pricy for me for just an eyeshadow base.  Which foundation primer are you using now?

I completely agree that primers are not a waste of money.  I don't think you need to get the most expensive one and with many primers you will see that a little goes a long way.  Eye shadow primers I think are a must for just about anyone who is wears eye makeup (however, perhaps I need to try the moisturizer trick that was suggested).  They just make good sense. The primer will keep eyeshadow where you put it rather than all over your eye area by the end of the day.  Also a primer will help stop that end of the day creased look where your eye has natural folds.

As for all over face primer, I think it is great for helping your morning makeup application last longer into the day (especially on oilier skin types).  Also if you have any find lines or wrinkles, it will stop makeup from slipping into those imperfections and making them more noticeable.  However, it may not be right for everyone.

You are not going to beleive this, no, you probably will, but anyway, I'm using the eyelid primer from ELF, the $1 one and it works great!  I've also heard good things about the mineral primer from ELF.  Also, you can use NYX jumbo pencils or WNW cream eyeshadow pencils as a sort of primer/base for eyeshadows too.  They are much cheaper than buying the UDPP and just as effective.  Right now I'm loving the WNW cream shadow in the color Pixie (which is pretty close to my skin tone) as a base for my eyeshadows.  The eyeshadows "stick" to it and it makes the colors more vibrant.

I never knew of face primers until 6 months ago.  I agree that it makes my makeup last longer.  Also, it wasnt until I forgot to put my primer on one day that I noticed a HUGE difference when trying to put on my foundation.  It didn't "glide" like it normally does and got flaky right away.  A good cheap primer is all you need (I actually like the cheaper stuff better anyways). 

@tismama: for sure! i think i may revert back to doing that too. i also got a sample size UDPP in the show pony shadow box and it's drying my lids out like crazy!
the first time i used it, it made my lids reaaally flaky, now they feel somewhat dry. i have really dry/sensitive skin though. sucks, because i really wanted to like it.
right now i'm using the much hyped up smashbox photo finish light primer ($44 CAD). it absorbs quickly and makes my skin feel very smooth and even.
i didn't look when i bought it though, i wish i got the regular one since i'm so dry. i tend to look flaky half the time throughout the day, even if i exfoliate/moisturize/prime before putting on make-up.
my skin is reaaally frustrating. i'm not sure if i can justify the purchase again, i'll be more scrutinizing when i use it now, haha. =x

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are not going to beleive this, no, you probably will, but anyway, I'm using the eyelid primer from ELF, the $1 one and it works great!  I've also heard good things about the mineral primer from ELF.  Also, you can use NYX jumbo pencils or WNW cream eyeshadow pencils as a sort of primer/base for eyeshadows too.  They are much cheaper than buying the UDPP and just as effective.  Right now I'm loving the WNW cream shadow in the color Pixie (which is pretty close to my skin tone) as a base for my eyeshadows.  The eyeshadows "stick" to it and it makes the colors more vibrant.
I use the ELF eye primer too and actually like it alot better than my UDPP.  I sometime use my NYX jumbo pencil in Milk on top of my eye primer if I really want that "WOW" effect!

I cant use moisturizer on my lids because they are naturally oily, I also cant use foundation as they tend to irriatate my eyes.  I've used several different brands of eye primers and they all pretty much work the same.  I've even used the MUFE aqua cream as a base and it worked just as well. 

So, Im a huge proponent of eye primers.  As far as face primers - I use mineral makeup for everyday office wear and cannot use it without a primer first because of my naturally oil skin.  I feel that the primer helps bond the mineral makeup to my face.  At the end of the day it all comes off anyway - its just a matter of what you feel confortable with. 

Interesting topic! I think the need to have a primer (or not to) depends on individual skin types. People who are oily want to be more mattifyed, etc. So someone like me who has oily eyelids (eww right?) I have to use a primer like MAC's painterly thats a bit on the dry side. If I dont use that, my shadow becomes a creased oily mess. Same foundation primers--I use an oil reducer on my tzone before any foundation gets applied.

wow! that is super cheap! my Target just recently started carrying ELF not too long ago, and most of the stuff that I've seen in the line is between $1-$5. 

i'm probably going to pick up one of their eyelid primers when I go up there on Saturday.  With it being only a dollar, even if i don't like it, I won't be losing out. I've heard a lot of rave reviews about the entire ELF line. I have an ELF lipstain, and the quality is excellent. i'm sure their other stuff is just as great.

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don´t think that everybody needs to use a foundation primer, but some people can definitely benefit from using one. If your foundation goes on smoothly and lasts all day, then you probably don´t need one!

I would think that people with dry areas on their face could definitely benefit from using a silicone-based primer to smoothe out their skin, so foundation won´t cling to dry spots as much.

Also, people with oily skin can use a primer with oil-controlling properties (I have found that ONLY those primers control oil, which makes sense, cause why should a standard silicone-based primer soak up excess oil?) so their foundation lasts longer.

And finally some thicker silicone-based primers can fill in fine lines so the foundation won´t settle in them, so that´s great for mature skin.

So I think it´s all a matter of finding the primer that´s right for your skin. For me, there is no such thing as a universal primer that will work great for everyone

Foundation Primers: Necessary or Waste of Money??

Primers are relatively a new thing and for decades women went without it. Is it necessary? No, not really. I don't use a primer on a day-to-day basis but I do for special occasions or if I'm going to be out running errands all day. You can get inexpensive primers starting at $1 and go up to $100 depending on the brand.

The only primer I have is for mascara, and I will say that it does make a difference, but not with wear time, it makes my eyelashes a lot thicker and longer! I don't usually have a problem with my makeup not lasting, so I don't intend to buy a face primer. But after reading how it helps eyeshadow *pop* I might try one for eyes.

Shiseido Refining Makeup Primer SPF 21 is what I've used for many, many years, throughout many name changes and I love it.  I definitely notice a difference when I use it, though it's expensive.  I've pretty much changed my ways and I don't wear makeup as often as I used to so I don't buy it often.  For daily wear, I don't use a primer, but for a night on the town or a special event, I definitely make sure my primer is in place.

HTH! 

Personally, for as long as I've worn makeup, I've always used primer. By the time I was 19, 20, primers were already being sold by all the big brands - so primers weren't really a niche thing. I've never had a problem with makeup lasting, but perhaps that's because I've always worn primer. Unfortunately, I don't really want to experiment. I have quite dull skin, with flakier patches, and enlarged on my nose, and cheeks right beside my nose. Generally, I use regular foundation primer (MUFE HD#5, or HC Sheer Envy as an everyday option) all over my face, and the Dr. Brandt's pore refiner on my bad areas. I swear by NARS' eye primer, and MAC P&P Lip for creamier lipsticks (Rouge Voluptes, Cremesheens, etc.) I'm not convinced mascara primers are really a nessecity for me, or that a lip primer is a must with lip product.

I think eyeshadow primers are a MUST for everyone. Definitely a product I strongly believe in and recommend.

As far as foundation primers, I think they are a nice things to have, but not a necessity like eye primers are. I have combination oily skin, so I like to use a primer to help keep the oils at bay with that extra layer between skin and makeup.

When I started wearing face primers and eye primers none of my friends and family that wore makeup used primers. I found out about primers because I notice that my face was getting oily when I wore makeup, my makeup was also moving on my face and wearing off and my eyeshadow was moving through out the day so I checked out a couple of videos on youtube and talked to a makeup artist at the Mac store and was told about primers. I have used both of the Mac face primers that they have but I did not like either of them. The texture of the products are nice but that is about it. They made me even oilier. Later on in the day I would look like I sprayed grease on my face. I have used Rimmel face primer it's pretty good. Loreal face primer (studio secrets) pretty good it makes my pores look smaller. (Currently using) The Mac matte is pretty good. As for eye primers I have used the Mac eye primer, it did the job but the primer is wishy washy. Sometimes it goes on nice and sometimes it doesn't.  I do use their paint pots as a primer I love those. E.L.F., Lorac, Urban Decay and Too Face have nice eye primers. I honestly like the cheaper primers for myself. Sometimes the cheapest products are what works best.

I started using primers only a month ago and it made a huge difference for my oily acne-prone skin! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Foundation would slide off my face as it would get too oily in the early afternoon. Yuck.

With the right primer, I don't have to retouch my makeup for the entire day. Without the primer, my eyelids get very oily and the eyeshadow would start creasing.

I have a daily regimen, where I exfoliate my face, wash the oils off my t-zone, followed by lotion and moisturizer, then the primer, then the concealer, then the foundation, then the concealer again for touch-ups.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back