Where is your favorite place to learn about makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading the threads tonight and one of our members was considering taking an online course to teach her about makeup and color techniques. Many people said they have learned a lot through tutorials online.  Which made me think--I do a lot of research with books and magazines and online articles, but I don't really watch "how to's" online via YouTube or any other forum like that.

So let's put this out there for me and others too:

Where do you go (other than here, on MakeupTalk) to learn about skin care, make up, color blending, etc. techniques?  Do you watch on a company's website? Do you have a special person on YouTube that you subscribe to?  How do you get your "How To's"????

I'd love to get a list of great teaching sites together that I can follow regularly to keep up with the latest!  Share away everyone!!

I mainly just browse on youtube.  My fave is enkoremakeup (i think that's his id).  He not only is funny, but he has awesome tutorials, great ideas for organizing makeup, fun crafts revolving around makeup (palettes, organizers etc) DIY makeup and beauty products and much more

I'm into the Brits - gossmakeupartist, pixiwoo, and lisaeldridgedotcom. I also like petrilude. TBH, though, while I enjoy the odd tutorial, I love TM/foundation routine/application videos by random people, as well as haul videos (weakness.) As for skincare: my GP, the girl who does my brows (the spa part of the boutique has yet to open, but she was a Sisley aesthetician before leaving, and seems to know her stuff), and my ma, as we both have sensitive skin. She's obviously dealing with post-menopausal skin, but I find there are lines she's been impressed with, that I've become impressed with, and vice-versa.

Youtube!

I prefer watching actual makeup artists and people who are clearly very talented for tips (pixiwoo, goosmakeupartist, Lisa Eldrige, misschievious, petrilude and many more)

To learn about skincare, I am subscribed to dermtv.com (amazing!!!) and I follow a lot of Paula Begoun´s (aka the Cosmetics Cop) advice.

YouTube, definitely! My British faves: Lisa Eldrige and Pixiwoo. My American faves: MakeupByTiffanyD, MakeupGeekTV, and EmilyNoel83. I like XSparkage and VintageorTacky for really bright/crazy/Halloween ideas.

Definitely YouTube for me.  My favs are Gossmakeupartist, Petrilude and Koren.  They are all very honest and thorough and extremely talented.  I have learned alot from them.  I would watch the random person say I'm looking for something random like a yellow smokey eye or something like that.

YouTube and I random everyone - I dont have a fav yet since I really can not stand some of their voices and their "um" and "like" moments... and BS side talk. So, I just type in "Makeup tutorials" and watch anything that I feel like watching that day.

I don't mean to insult anyone, it's just that I prefer the "silence is golden" methods.  There are some annoying people doing good tutorials out there - so, I just mute them on my screen and watch with patience. 
rolleyes.gif

Nowadays, YouTube is my favorite resource. Some of my YouTube favorites are Pixiwoo, MakeupGeekTV, MissChievous and EnKoreMakeup.

I also have several good books and  used to buy videotapes on makeup back before the Internet days. The forums and tutorials here are a fantastic resource too.

One of my favorite youtubers is Grace at CosmeticCouturier.  She is amazing and keeps her videos on point and doesn't go into a lot of random talking about stuff.  Everytime MAC comes out with new face charts she shows how to recreate them with other products, which I love because I will probably never buy MAC.  She uses a lot of Wet N Wild eyeshadows because they have so many good dupes for high end stuff, especially MAC. 

Dream, I understand how you feel.  Some of those pretty girls have the most annoying voices!!  Sometimes I'll see the thumbnail for the video and think it's a MUA or grown up and find out it's a 15 year old with a shrilly voice!! hahahahaha.  Some of them are really talented but annoy the heck out of me twittering on about all sorts of silly stuff.  I was nervous when I started making videos because I say Umm alot and I think my voice is so dull.  I've been very encouraged by people telling me they actually like my voice...go figure???? 

Oh, yeah, back to the topic, check Grace out she's really talented, is a professional and will show you how to get high end looks with more affordable products.  She's also big into cruelty free and vegan products.

I'm 100% self-taught, and I learned about 99% of what I know about makeup from YouTube. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Besides the gurus mentioned above (who are all also really awesome), I like Holly Ann-Aeree (she does a lot of sponsored product videos, but I do think her tutorials are good), Dustin Hunter, and Michelle Phan (I can't believe nobody's mentioned her yet! Her older videos are awesome). Christine from Temptalia's look-of-the-day posts are also a lot of fun for inspiration!

lol Im the only one who Does Not like you tube for Makeup At All!!  I learned Mostly from myself & Professional Makeup artists in the Industry from Schools & People Ive met through Work & their Connections  Oooh & lets not forget the Late But Absolutely Great Kevin Aucoin books!!!

youtube is my favorite place i am so thankful they have this in our generation........because my mom's motto when it comes to makeup is to test nothing new out (shes been using the same simple makeup routine her whole life) and I don't have a sister, so there was no one in my family to teach me anything about make-up... I learned some things also from makeup counters....and MAC girls in the stores...but yea youtube you can feel free to try as you like and they go step by step.

Back