Brush Recommendations.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sick of E.L.F. Brushes, I want some good quality brushes that are cheap. I want to buy sigma but I just don't have the money. Any recommendations?

I totally know how you feel. I'm a broke graduate student! I'd love to get all of MAC's brushes, but unfortunately, the money isn't there. I bought some of Ecotools' brushes and I think they're really good. I've heard people on here give them mixed reviews, but they work great for me. Especially the blush brush!

have you looked on ebay, you might be able to get ones you want for a lot cheaper.  There are also 24/32/34  etc etc sets for like 15-20 bucks and they work amazingly well.  They also come with a pouch

i recommend brushes from brigitte's boutique. they sell them individually or in a full pro set with a pouch. i absolutely LOVE their brushes, it's really high quality and they don't shed like crazy.

How about Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target? I only have the synthetic flat top brush, so I can't speak for the others, but my brush is pretty freaking awesome. The other Sonia Kashuk brushes get rave reviews from other people, too.

Another thumbs up for EcoTools! I haven't had good luck with all (the two blush & powder brushes I own perform equally well, but both are different shapes to one another; and the retractable kabuki broke within a week for me) but the angled liner brushes are excellent for brows/tightlining/cakeliners, as is the bronzer, and the eyeshading brush is excellent for cream shadows & concealers. They're online, but the Everyday Minerals are pretty decent.

I've had no luck with ecotools.  They've all come apart from the handle.  My bronzer brush separated from the ferule :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  sucks!

I like a couple of brushes from Coastal Scents and the brushes from Everyday Minerals are good too. 

Originally Posted by BlueSakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about Sonia Kashuk brushes from Target? I only have the synthetic flat top brush, so I can't speak for the others, but my brush is pretty freaking awesome. The other Sonia Kashuk brushes get rave reviews from other people, too.

I totally agree. That's the only Sonia Kashuk brush I have and I am totally going to buy another.

Try Crown Brushes, great quality, and good prices (especially the kits), I love mine! They're so soft and the hairs don't fall out.

The eyeshadow brushes are really good at picking up all different kinds of shadows and I don't get a cheek full of colour either :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The face brushes are good too and I find blushes and powders easy to put on a blend.

I will DEFINATELY buy more of these brushes and probably never buy any other brand!

Have you seen the MAC dupe section for brushes?  Check it out. Its on here somewhere... Hey Jean! Can you post a link?
call2.gif

I  love ecotools, except the bronzer brush. The angle brushes I find amazing, and the rest are medium quality I could see spending more on them with another brandname. They go for $5-$15 each, or the sets of five are around $15-$20. I love the eye brushes, again, the face powder brush and kabukis are medium, foundation brush is a little better, and the bronzer is no. The set of mini eyeshadow brushes is worth it, at 6 for $6 (in canada, at least). I use them whenever I need to carry them on me, or I just don't have time for fooling around with all my brushes.

Also, if you have Icing (by claires), they have three brush lines. Super crappy ones with black bristles, medium ones with brown bristles, and really really high quality ones with brown and white bristles. They all go for between $5-$10ish each, or a roll of five or six for $20. I bought them in doubt, but I love them. The duo tone bristle ones are better than some of my higher end brushes and don't shed at all, the brown ones are better than you'd expect from Icing, and the black ones you'd expect to pay about 50c for.

I also got a roll of seven from Urban Planet for $3, and only the face brush was crap, the rest I use all the time. Not great, but more than useable and helpful to have on hand. They don't have a label, but they were in a little grey/silver/black leopard print roll. I'm assuming they were LA colours, because they only sell LA Colours and ELF there, and  they don't look like the only ELF brush I have, and I don't see the roll on ELF's website. I'll look online, see if I can find their brand. (No, I can't, and Urban Planet doesn't list cosmetics online). While I'm at it though Urban Planet always has really cheap basic clothes, like tank tops marked down to $3 and sweaters at $10, so while you're moneyless, you might remember that.

If you shop at Body Shop (if you don't, don't listen to this), they often have promotions with their brush roll, which I really have liked. Usually it's if you spend $30 you can get the roll for $10 or free, and it's a nice and large roll. So, if you shop there anyway (for your skin care or whatnot), wait until that promotion's going- it should be on the website, it's not usually one of the ones up on signs in the store, the reps usually tell you- then by it ll at once and get the roll for free. If you don't shop their anyway, it's obviously not worth it. If you do, it's a good quality five-piece roll with two extra slots, so if you shop there, I recommend. It's not worth the regular price $90, but for free-$10, it's amazing

Back