What do you do to settle your mind?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mind races at night.  OMG it just runs and runs and runs.  When I head to bed at nights, it's crazy.  That's when every single thing comes to my mind.  Things from years ago.  Alot of it is based on worry, things that are uncertain.  I really need to get a hold of this because I have stopped going to bed in an attempt to sleep, I stay and read a book or watch television until I am practically sleeping away before I go to bed.  What do you do to settle your mind?

Depends.

If it's something like you're describing above - I write in a journal.  Everything.  Everything my mind is dishing out - sometimes all you need is an outlet for all of those things running around in your head.  I write until I'm tired and pass out.

If it's stress from the day - I go for a run without my iPod.  Sometimes the frustration gives me my best running time.

If it's my x - I smoke.  He's the only one that drives me to smoke.  Given that I don't smoke often, I'll pick up a cigar instead of a pack of cigarettes.

If it's my family - I drink wine. LOL! Heck I drink wine anyways for any reason.
laughing.gif

To fall asleep I usually used to do what you mentioned with getting exhausted first.  I would fall asleep on the floor, in my computer chair, on the couch, w/e and hope that someone would wake me up for work the next morning.  It can't work forever; I started to fall asleep at inappropriate times, like divisional meetings!

What worked for me is to just address what I can and stop worrying about what I can't.  It took me a long time to get there though; for me, the key was to hyperfocus on what I can make better.  Then only occasionally would I have my mind race at night.

I've used this trick since I was a kid and it still works for me and my family when we can't sleep at night:

Lie in bed with no stimulus (no lights, tv, radio, nothing).  Close your eyes and envision a blank sheet of paper.  It can have the lines or no lines at all if you prefer (that was a question my stepson asked lol).  Concentrate on that blank sheet of paper and nothing else.  Just look at it.  BLANK.  Within a few minutes you'll be off to sleep, guaranteed! 

Two things work for me....  Working out till I'm exhausted or ALCOHOL!!

I have this problem almost every night too.  I bought sleeping pills but haven't used them yet.  I usually lay in bed with the lights off and surf the net on my phone or play a game till I get sleepy.  I also agree with Karren....Alcohol!  lol

My mind doesn't really race at night, but usually the best outlet for me when things are stressing me out is to go figure skating or running. Usually around finals week I'm skating every single day haha

it depends on the issue. sometimes i need a stress ball otherwise i'll flip the house around.

most of the time i find that i really just need someone to talk to, someone to listen to me without any value judgments

I either have a bubble bath, sleep or waste my time surfing the net to preoccupy my brain. >.>

I get how you feel though Illehsal, when I'm alone with my thoughts is when my brain eats me alive. Dx

Depending on where my mind is wandering to in the evening, I will do different things to unwind and clear my mind. Most nights, I can take a nice long shower and just let all of the worries get rinsed off. I think of it as washing away the stress from the day.

On nights that I know this will not work, I will often get out my journal and try to write about what is going through mind. Sometimes the act of just getting the thoughts out there is enough to get it to go away.

When I was a little younger I had that problem. I read someplace that it would help to keep a notepad by your bed so you can write down all of your ideas & important thoughts. Then convince yourself that you will handle everything on the notepad in the morning. This kinda forces you to give up on thinking on tons of stuff:) Hope that helps

take a drive and listen to some good music..no destination. i just drive and it makes me feel better =]

Back