I got a job at Sephora !!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone !!

I'm new to this community, but I just recently had a few interviews with Sephora - and was googling to find tips on interviews with companies in the beauty industry. I came across a thread of which I can't remember, but one girl answered in detail, and I followed her advice to the T. I'm soooo happy, I was waiting for something like this for so long ! Anyways, I was hoping for some advice from anyone who works at Sephora or knows anything at all about the lifestyle, discounts, and all that.

Thanks so much ! (Thanks to the girl who gave a great description on how to be prepared, I'm not sure if you will ever see this, but I am grateful for your advice!)

Congratulations!! That's awesome! =D
I don't really know what it's like to work for Sephora at all, but there's a girl who works for them on another forum I go too and she gets so much gratis it's ridiculous! You're really lucky. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm glad someone here gave you such good advice too! Best of luck for when you start there.

Awesome thanks so much girls ! @ AndreaRenee - what forum do you use? Would love to see what else everyone's talking about !! @ BonnieKrupa - thanks!! will do - was just offered the position today so I wasn't too sure if i should have asked straight up - going in tomorrow to give in the forms :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haha sorry I'm not familiar with forums like this but thanks for your comment ! What's the other forum you use - would love to see what everyone else is talking about !

Oooo, don't ask right off the bat - its never a good thing.  Makes it look like its the only reason you want to work there is for the discount. 

The management team should let you know all the perks within the first few days of you working there.  Be patient, if they're good - you'll know all there is to know about working at Sephora.

Good luck and Congrats!!!

well yeah if you ask the manager vs a coworker don't make that the first thing you ask.  You'll be going through orientation and stuff and they should go over all that with you anyways

Congratulations! I'll totally have to look into that because I just applied to Sephora >.<

Do you have any tips?

an employee manual (if sephora has one?) might explain benefits of the job as well, without sounding so forward about finding out what perks you get.  Oftentimes though, whoever helps you get acquainted and does your orientation for you will tell you the best parts of the job within your first couple of days.

@Jellay: 'the vanity forum' on www.nexopia.com.

Nexopia's a Canadian social networking site that pretty much went dead when Facebook was created, but parts of it are still pretty active.

Thanks for all the replies girls ! I can't wait to start. And yep I'm waiting for orientation which is coming up around the end of this month so if you'd like I'll keep you posted. I've heard the disohunt is about 20-30% and there's monthly bonuses if the company meets or exceeds sales expectations :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL at this point I'm going to take whatever I can get, I've been waiting to get the makeup aspect of my career going so this is definitely a huge opportunity for me!

@janet - I applied online months in advance thinking I wouldn't get it, but secretly hoping I would. I got a call back at the end of April for the position. My best advice to you would be to be patient and don't sweat too much ! As you know many places accept resumes only online, but in certain cases (like Sephora) you should go in and speak to a manager directly. I know that most of the time they will be in store - it looks very professional. If you choose to go in store and apply don't overdo your makeup, a neutral eye and a soft lip still looks classy. I did that for my interviews as well (I had three). I felt that the more I got comfortable speaking, the more I was able to express myself through my makeup in the interviews. By the second and third one, I went in with a pink lip with blue undertones and a nude colour to tone down the vividness of the lip. LOL I hope I'm helping. But personality wise, just act natural, I was lucky to have known someone who did work there so I got some advice from her as well as these forums. Good luck ! & let me know how it goes for you ! Fingers crossed !

Congrats to the OP.  I have always dreamed of getting a job at Sephora or MAC.  I do wonder though, as a guy do you think it would be harder or easier to get?  I think it would be a great way to learn about makeup and get a discount on it as well.

@kdalt - to be completely honest with you, I do believe it is a bit tougher on males to get a job at either Sephora or MAC (in the retail stores). However, I have seen a couple videos on youtube where there have been males hired to work at Sephora. I think that there's no harm in applying especially because these days every company is about no discrimination - racial, gender, etc.. So, I suggest that you do apply, it's better knowing what your chances are when you do apply as opposed to just wondering ! Good luck ! & let us know how it goes for you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Congrats on your Sephora job! You'll have to update us how you like it in the future :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Im glad the forums were able to help you out! As far as males working in the Cosmetics/beauty stores--I don't know if it's just my area, but we have quite a few men at all makeup counters. I've seen men at both my local MAC and Sephora stores. They seemed to be doing great interacting with customers.

Back