How to make small eyes POP?!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any

-eye shadows

or

-eyeliner tricks

or

-certain eyelashes

or

-eyebrow shapes to make small eyes POP?!?!?!

Any tips or suggestions on how to make small eyes appear bigger would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Kassie<3

have you tried lining your waterline with  a white or peach pencil?  also put a white or off white liner  or shadow in the corners of your eyes

I like to add false lashes if I want that extra bit of oomph when I'm done with my eyes.  No matter what I do, it can add an extra bit of pop when you blink.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

have you tried lining your waterline with  a white or peach pencil?  also put a white or off white liner  or shadow in the corners of your eyes

Waterline??

& is there a technique for applying white liner/shadow??

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like to add false lashes if I want that extra bit of oomph when I'm done with my eyes.  No matter what I do, it can add an extra bit of pop when you blink.
I've done lashed too, but for some reason they seem to big?

I have to cut them sometimes:/

What can i do?

I like to dry it with a qtip of run my finger gently over it (my eyes water a lot).  Then just apply. If it's a gel or gel like pencil I like to let it dry, it only takes a few seconds.  What I do with black liner is also set it with the same color eyeshadow.  I haven't tried this with a light colored eyeliner yet though, I'd imagine it would work just as well though.

I have small eyes and I found that using eyeshadows works. Use lighter shades on the lid And mediums shades on crease and or outer corners. Highlight inner corner and brow bone.

Depending on what you mean small.... My daughter has small eyes and has to pluck her eyebrows from below to give her eyes more illusion of being larger.

Does Lining your eyes all the way around make them look bigger?

Myth Buster:

No. It's actually the Opposite! I see this mistake all the time. To make eyes appear bigger you need to start your line near the center of the lower lash line, going thicker around the outer corner of your eye. Then add a hightlight around the inner corner. Doing this will open up your eyes and give you that big "doey" look us girls are always looking for.

Also, using eye shadows that contrast your eye color  will also bring out your eyes:

Eye Shadow for Brown eyes
COLORS that POP: purples, greens and blues

Eye Shadow for Blue eyes
COLORS that POP: gold, copper, browns…or violets

Eye Shadow for Green eyes
COLORS that POP: berries and browns

Eye Shadow for Hazel eyes
COLORS that POP: greys, pink, copper

Yes, it's true. line the outer 3/4 of your upper lid, and 1/2 for the lower lid, smudging a bit on the inside to soften the line. Extend your liner just a bit.

Also it's normal to have to cut false eyelashes, they're of a standard size, the first thing you have to do is just apply them dry on your eye, and see if they're too long or perfect. If too long, cut some of the inside part.

Depending on the false lashes used, you can also cut one in two halves and apply one half on each outer corner of your eyes. Apply one more coat of mascara on the outer lashes as well.

Another trick that has been mentioned too is to use dark or medium shadows for the outer "V" and crease, and a light color on the lid. Definitely highlight the inner corner and the browbone. Highlight the top of your cheekbones as well, With the light it gives more definition to your eyes.

The eyebrows are important as they frame your eye, but to say if there is a specific shape, i don't know. I follow my natural shape, Elke von Freudenberg has a fantastic video on youtube for shaping eyebrows, this is the method i use.

For that I'd recommend checking out tutorials by some of the best gurus on youtube..it's better to see it done..

pixiwoo's small eye tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSo6XzfOAA  (if you want your eyes to appear bigger with minimal make-up)

and makeupbyeman's small eye tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSlSScajpQ  (a smokier look for small eyes)

also kandeejohnson's tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NCOuQprwU (focuses on opening up the eye with mascara)

keep your eyeshadows along the lash line, and blend out is what I've found makes my small eyes look more dramatic....don't put so much really dark colors in the crease or above, because it will push down your eye and make it even smaller....I like to still use dark colors along the lashline even though my eyes aren't big, because I like the sultry look it gives..

You should check out a book called Makeup Makeovers by Robert Jones, even just go thumb through it as Borders or Barnes and Noble....it has many awesome tricks and pictures so you can follow along. Its all rather involved so I suggest going to check out the book, I think I bought it for like $25.

Back