Does anyone know anything at all about living in a dorm?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am moving into a dorm in a couple of weeks for summer classes. Is there anything specific I should bring with me or buy? What's it like? I just bought some pepper spray & a body alarm because I won't know anyone there. Lol I also have a few things for the room. Give any advice you have for any aspect of college & dorms! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it would be MOST appreciated. I just graduated (!) & I can't wait to start college. I'm going to Major in Business Admin & minor in Art. This way I can run a business of my own or choose to continue my makeup business. I miss being on here as often with all you lovely ladies! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've also gotta find a way to keep up my youtube channel while at college...not to mention lighting.

There are several things you WILL need!

-earphones (for when you cant disturb your roommate)

-flip flops (for shower)

-lamp

-towels

-trash bags

-sandwich bags

-paper towels

-fan for when it gets hot

Dorms are fun, but you have to be organized to fit everything in such a small space! Use as many tools as you need to in order to condense your "stuff". I would also recommend getting a small safe. They normally aren't more than $50 or so, but they are useful of you need to leave you laptop or valuable in the room,

Also, you mentioned that you wanted to keep up with your youtube videos. Most of the time, dorms use standard cheap lights that can be relatively dim. You might need to bring a form of lighting to use for your videos.

Make sure you also have some food that you can eat that doesn't need to be prepared like granola bars, poptarts etc. I was always grateful for those when I was studying and didn't want to go all the way to the dining hall haha.

As far as advice goes, (I'm not saying that this will be you) but don't be disappointed if you and your roommate aren't super-close. I wasn't super good friends with my roommate, but there were tons of people in my hall that I grew incredibly close to, so it didn't really bother me. We weren't hostile or anything, we just didn't have a whole lot in common. That was the same experience that my sister and most of the people I knew had. Also, if you know who your roommate is going to be, try to coordinate with them what you should bring. My sister and her roommate basically decided that her roommate would bring the tv and she would bring the mini-fridge, just so that they wouldn't have to spend so much on the big items.

-On that note, get a mini-fridge. You'll be grateful you did :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OH MY GOSH. MINI FRIDGE.

They are amazing. I cant believe I forgot that one. Definitely a must!

On the roommate note, my first roomie and I were just that. roomies. We were not friends, we really didnt even talk to each other. But I met a girl, we became friends, and then got close. So next time, I moved in with her. Long story short, just have patience and know that you can always move at the end of the semester!

Definitely a mini fridge for sure and a small microwave if you are allowed.  If you aren't allowed to have a nuker, then get a pot kettle so you can make soap or kraft dinner in case you missed meal service or you get hungry during the night or just want some tea or hot chocolate.  An alarm clock, your pillow and sheets and blankets,  a pair of slippers because the floor is not that clean.  

One more thing... get a Magic Jack.  You can hook it up to your laptop or pc and you can call home or your friends back home... this is especially handy if you live long distance away. You can choose a local # in your home area and your family and friends can call you and leave voicemail if you're not home without long distance charges to anyone.  It costs $40 and its good for 2 years service!   All you need is wi-fi which most likely you'll have in your dorm.  

I had a great roomie, but her dad wanted her to have her own room, she left after 2 wks.  so for 1/2 of the year, a double room to myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  3 months before the year end, another girl moved in.  She handed me a list of rules to my own room!!! I looked at it, there were 11 items on the list... I thought WTF!!!  I wrote on the back of her note in jiffy marker to drop dead, that day I had my room back to myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Make sure you also have some food that you can eat that doesn't need to be prepared like granola bars, poptarts etc. I was always grateful for those when I was studying and didn't want to go all the way to the dining hall haha.

As far as advice goes, (I'm not saying that this will be you) but don't be disappointed if you and your roommate aren't super-close. I wasn't super good friends with my roommate, but there were tons of people in my hall that I grew incredibly close to, so it didn't really bother me. We weren't hostile or anything, we just didn't have a whole lot in common. That was the same experience that my sister and most of the people I knew had. Also, if you know who your roommate is going to be, try to coordinate with them what you should bring. My sister and her roommate basically decided that her roommate would bring the tv and she would bring the mini-fridge, just so that they wouldn't have to spend so much on the big items.

-On that note, get a mini-fridge. You'll be grateful you did :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wow. Just wow. I've never lived in a dorm, I live with my fiance off campus because well. I don't like most other girls! Or living with someone I'm not sleeping with.

But WOW. I sorta need to know what those 11 rules are!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely a mini fridge for sure and a small microwave if you are allowed.  If you aren't allowed to have a nuker, then get a pot kettle so you can make soap or kraft dinner in case you missed meal service or you get hungry during the night or just want some tea or hot chocolate.  An alarm clock, your pillow and sheets and blankets,  a pair of slippers because the floor is not that clean.  

One more thing... get a Magic Jack.  You can hook it up to your laptop or pc and you can call home or your friends back home... this is especially handy if you live long distance away. You can choose a local # in your home area and your family and friends can call you and leave voicemail if you're not home without long distance charges to anyone.  It costs $40 and its good for 2 years service!   All you need is wi-fi which most likely you'll have in your dorm.  

I had a great roomie, but her dad wanted her to have her own room, she left after 2 wks.  so for 1/2 of the year, a double room to myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  3 months before the year end, another girl moved in.  She handed me a list of rules to my own room!!! I looked at it, there were 11 items on the list... I thought WTF!!!  I wrote on the back of her note in jiffy marker to drop dead, that day I had my room back to myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yes, a kettle ! For anything you can add hot water to, tea, dehydrated food.

Don't laugh at me, but you never know, what about ear plugs? I can't sleep with someone snoring (or "breathing loudly" lol !) so ear plugs, good thing to have !

I also know you can buy flashlights with different settings, one is specially made for you to read without disturbing the people around. You could try getting something like this for those times you want to continue your activity without disturbing anyone.

I like the idea of bringing a blanket and pillow from home - maybe a stuff animal too. You might get homesick and appreciate these.

A fan is a must.

Tide, Bounce and clothes hamper

Kettle, tea bags, hot chocolate, powdered milk and sugar/sweetener

Mugs, plates, bowls, silverware, can opener

Clock radio

Roll of quarters

Once you settle in, you can usually get what you need there

heck!  That was decades ago but they were so common sense that it was insulting...

stuff like:

- if you want to borrow something, ask and you may use it.

- keep the door locked at all times

- keep your friends on your side of the room

- keep noise levels at minimum

11 of these stupid rules that I didn't need to have from someone moving into a room I had ALONE for 5-6 or so months already!

Back