What do you know about your ancestors?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you pin point where you came from?  As in, your ancestors?  Me?  My family is so so so so huge, that I think it's impossible to go very far back.  I would love to know though.  The much I know stops at great grandparents.  Funny enough, all the women in my family straight down to my mom's generation, were housewives,,,,hmmph...weird.  I don't know much about what they (men and some women) did for a living because weirdly enough my dad doesn't talk about his family much at all, my mom more talks about his family.  I don't know many of dad's relatives, if any at all.  But I do know up until my parents, few of my ancestors were actually Trinidadian.

Mom's side:

Great Grandfather - Ghanian (I don't know if that is what you say, but he was from Ghana)

Great Grandmother - Trinidadian

Great Grand father - Scottish

Great Grand mother - Trinidadian

Grandmother - Trinidadian (born from first great grandparents above)

Grandfather - Trinidadian (born to Scottish & Trini native parents)

Mother - Trinidadian

Dad's side:

Great Grandmother - Dominican

Great Grandfather - Dominican

Grandmother - Dominican

Great Grandparents on his father's side - no info

Grandfather - Trinidadian

Father - Trinidadian

So...what do you know about your family?  Do you know all the way back?  I definitely have to sit my parents down one day and get the full background of all this.  It's good for my future kids and nieces and nephews to know.

My family history isn´t that exciting. My grandparents and great-grandparents on both sides are/were all Austrian and Catholic, and pretty much all of them were farmers.

Originally, the last names in my family were spelled differently (the Slovenian way, since my family is part of the bilingual minority here in the South of Austria) than they are spelled now. I think they may have german-ized their last names during the Nazi regime, but I don´t know if that´s actually true.

My Granny is German, she moved to Canada when she was pregnant with my mom. My aunties and such are all German too.

I say this first because I really only look German and nothing else haha.

My Dad's side is Scottish and Irish, I have a gaelic last name and my Dad's side all has hazel/green eyes.

My Grandmother (Dad's side) is really into genealogy, she knows a LOT about our history. I've been meaning to ask her forever.

Apparently we had wealthy ancestors in Scotland.

Oh also:

Granny: German

Great Grandma: British

Great Grandpa: Blackfoot (Native tribe of Alberta and Saskatchewan)

Great Grandpa: Irish

Great Grandpa: American

That's all I can remember, I really need to make a family tree. I'm very interested in this.

I don't know that much about my family tree either. Again, no one has ever traced it very far back as far as I know. Also, I don't even really know my grandfather on my dad's side of the family (my dad's dad.) He could be descended from just about any kind of background.

This is what I know:

My mom and dad are both Canadian by birth like me and my three brothers. My mom was born and raised in Toronto and my dad was born in Timmins and raised there and in other parts of Northern and Central Ontario.

Grandmother (mom's side): From Londonderry, Northern Ireland (Catholic)

Grandfather (mom's side): From Middleton, Greater Manchester, UK (Anglican)

Grandmother (dad's side): From Basiliano, Northern Italy (Catholic)

Grandfather (dad's side): French Canadian from Timmins, not sure what ancestry he comes from, presumably French ancestry and possibly also Canadian aboriginal background. I also often suspect that he comes from some sort of German background because his first name is Walter but I could be wrong I have no idea.

My grandmother on my mom's side told me that her parents were also both Irish. I think she told me her father's family came from the actual republic of Ireland, and some of them were from Dublin, but I don't know that much about that. The only significance in that is that some of the Dublin Irish are actually descended from Vikings, therefore I may possibly also have a certain amount of Scandinavian blood.

My grandfather on my mom's side is actually English, and I know that his parents were English too, born and raised in England. I don't know very much about his family though aside from that. They all seem very, very white anglo-saxon protestant though.

I know that my grandmother's (dad's side) parents were also both from Friuli in North-east Italy. They all spoke Frulan, not Italian. (I think they understood Italian too though.) My great grandfather (on my dad's side) was apparently very tall and blue eyed. (I never knew him but I've seen old photos and I've been told he looked like that.) So it seems very likely to me that he came from either Slavic or Germanic background of some kind, but again, I don't actually know very much about this! My Great-grandmother, his wife, looked more "Italian." :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But, yeah, I don't know her exact ancestry either.

My grandfather, on my dad's side is a bit of an enigma to me because we are estranged from him and his side of the family. He has a French last name, and I am told he is French Canadian but as I said his first name is very, very German. I have been told that there are many Canadians of Aboriginal (First Nations) descent with the same last name that my grandfather has. That could be coincidence,but probably not. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I think that's everything I know about my family tree LOL!

I don't know much, i always joke saying i'm half Celtic and half Roman. My dad's side is all french for centuries, my mom's side is equally divided in belgian and italian origins. I know my cousins from Belgium, but i don't know those from Italy other than by pictures showed to us by my grandfather. We never learned italian so relationships got difficult. My mother once told me my family in Belgium had castles, but with all the wars that happened in this part of the world, there isn't a rock left to testify for that past.

I spent a number of years finding my family tree.

Dad's father's family - traced back to Cumberland England 1807

Dad's mother's family - traced back to 1792 Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland

Mom's father - traced back to 1810 Ireland (don't know which County yet)

Mom's mother - traced back to 1883 Scotland (don't know which County yet)

My relatives married Irish, Scottish or English so my family history and culture doesn't deviate too much

If anyone is looking for their Canadian family history, check out "Library and Archives Canada" for census.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html

Also look at Family Search - https://www.familysearch.org/  Website put together by Mormon church for Canadian, American and other  countries.

And the best is Ancestry.com.    I can access it for free through my library.

It is the best site to find information!

All I know about my father's family is that they came to America in 1820 from Ireland. I have some information on most of the people since then, before that I have no idea. My mother's family is even harder. I know they came to Peru from Spain, but that's about it, I don't even know all of my aunts and uncles, let alone my ancestors on her side.

I'm adopted and I know absolutely nothing about my family or history.  I hate it.  I did try to contact my birth mother through the adoption agency but either they couldn't find her, she's dead or she wants nothing to do with me : /

Thank goodness there are more people that don't know much about their own past.  My parents don't really talk about ancestry nor family history so I'm in dark when it comes to that.  My DH's family have books written and such about them. I'm in a book!

My dad's parents are from China, they left China and moved to the Philippines when they were 16. Records were burnt during that time so there is none.  My parents arrived in the Philippines with a purchased passport and a different last name.  My last name (my dads) is not the same as my grandparents.

My mom's family are Filipino for the most part but some Spanish somewhere... 

My mother's side is Polish, and my Dad's side is all British/Irish/Scottish/German. So, basically white. They're all rather recent immigrants (Dad is 1st Generation, and Mom is 1.5 Generation Canadian.) after WWII, and I've visited the ancestral homelands a couple of times, but geneology isn't something I'm very or super-interested in. I know my (paternal) grandmother's parents came to England from Ireland during one of the famines, and that my (paternal) grandfather's father converted to Catholicism (which might've explained my Grandad's strident, religious beliefs... bless him, but he was almost cult-like in his beliefs) at some point. I don't speak Polish, and my mother and uncle's is very limited/weak. Granted, I had shown an interest in French very early on, so putting me into Polish lessons on top might've been a little much. My grandmother had always spoken to me in English. I was given a very white, Gaelic first name and I have a British last name. I'm the spitting image of my mother and maternal (duh) grandmother, but the name gives away my ethnicity. I had a guy from the UK of all places, add me on Facebook, with the exact same name as my Dad, first and last. He's not related to us (or if he is, it's far enough back that we've all dispersed) but honestly, spitting image of my dad - near identical hairlines, long faces. I'd post pics, but considering they're of other people and not me, I don't think either would be comfortable of that.

I don't know much about my Mother's side, but I know most of them are American and we have Blackfoot Indian in there somewhere.

I know a lot more about my Father's side. My last name is Polish but I'm 1/2 Ukrainian and 1/2 American.

My Grandpa (Dads side) was born in Poland, but that part of Poland is now Ukraine.

My Grandma (Dads side) was born in Ukraine.

My Father was born in Germany in the forced labor camps. My Father passed when I was 5, so there wasn't much I could ask him obviously. My Dad's family lives 10 hours away and for many years as a kid they had a feud with my Mom. When I was 18 I went up to visit and didn't ask anything. That year my Grandma passed. Finally in the last few years my Grandpa started telling more stories. Most of my family in Ukraine was taken into the forced labor camps or forced into the German military. Once Hitler died my family were allowed to leave the camps/farms and they came to America to start new :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Some of the stories my Grandpa has told me are insane. I can't believe the things he has seen and lived through. I have so much respect for him <3

My Mother is Mexican of German and Danish decent and my Father is Mexican as well of Aztec, Spanish, African, and Chinese decent. 
biggrin.gif
 Both and myself were born in Mexico and we consider ourselves mexican. Mixed races is not a big thing in Latin America ( well at least for me) since majority of latinos are of mixed races. It is interesting though to learn about races, history, culture in Latin America.

Most of my family is Mexican But my Moms dad n all his Family are full blooded Gabrielino Indian  Which is always cool Since In our Mission's Museum  there are black n white images of Indian women on a porch n my grandma knew them n said they are related to us through my moms dad side   very interesting!!

Back