Makeup that Lasts as Long as You Do

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let's face it, we live in a world where inventors and innovators are focused on developing new programs and products that will yield a faster result, provide instant gratification, and give us more time.  We in turn, take the extra saved minutes and squeeze a few more things in.  We are a society of multitaskers, over achievers, and we march to a quick, thriving tempo.  This lifestyle, this pace, this demand to go-go-go has created a new demand in the beauty industry.  

We used to be impressed when cosmetics would last 8 hour without a touch up.  "Incredible," we thought.  Today, 8 hour wear is below par.  Today's woman requires makeup that lasts as long as she does.  Luckily, our favorite artists and creators have answered this call so that we can arm ourselves with an artillery of war-paint that is tough enough to keep up.  

Primer

The first step in a lasting look is primer. To achieve the nourishing moisture your skin need and a perfect poreless look that we all seek choose something like Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer or Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer.  These are both light and will not clog sensitive pores.

Foundation:

I typically prefer to stick with the primer and skip foundation for daily use, but if you need something to take you through a humid or eventful day, consider something like Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra for sensitive skin, or Cover Girl's 24 hour Foundation for non sensitive skin types. The lasting coverage is amazing!

Bronzer

The next and to me, most important part of a long wearing skin regimin is the BRONZER.  I admit that I shamelessly blend away the roundness of my face, contour my jawline, and give myself the cheekbones I should have been blessed with.  I work hard and play hard.  For my full day I require Hourglass' Superficial Waterproof Bronzer. This bronzer is a softer, more natural bronzer.  You can build it to the level of definition you prefer without it looking artificial.  Best of all, it withstands my slight break in sweat (I call it glistening, not sweating) after I have to run after another San Francisco buss for the 20th time, lasts through my work day, and is still there when I come home from a night of dancing.

Skin protected and perfected...Check!  The next are of focus: Eyes. 

Eye Primer: 

I have tried many eye primers, but the one that continues to impress me time after time is the cult classic, Urban Decay Primer Potion.  I swear by this primer.  I can go to the gym, do a quick freshen up in the locker room with some Mac facial towelettes, and my eye shadow and liner are still perfectly in place and on point!  No other primer has been able to hold up the same on my eyewear.

Liner

Liquid: Eyeliner is tricky.  I really depends on the person. For me, Lancome's ArtLiner is quintessential. The thin felt tip allows me to create the thinnest line, a cat eye, and allows me to line my waterline.  The look stays and doesn't run down into the under-eye area.  

Pencil: I love the Urban Decay 22/7 Glide On Pencils.  They have a great selection of colors and the name says it all. If you have a really hard time keeping eyeliner put the Urban Decay Primer Potion is a must. 

With the aforementioned products you can put your makeup on at 6 am, go to work, the gym, and even a dinner date afterward with the confidence that the look you created has remained fresh and in tact all day long.  Finally, you can have a look that lasts as long as you do. 

-Chris

Thanks, i heard that Lancome foundation was good, i'm trying to use my current liquid foundation before i buy this one, but the temptation is great.

I definitely will try the Too Faced or Smashbox face primer. The one that I use now is lacking a bit. Thanks for posting about the liner because I need to step up my game in the liner department. Mine keeps running and messes up my makeup.

I have tried countless primers (MAC, Laura Mercier, Smashbox and others), really the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel is my favorite.  9/10 of my makeup items are high end but this is the stuff!  I might try that Bronzer though.

My fave face primer is mark Primed for Perfection Face Primer. At $10 this works just as well and as long as the more expensive primers. I'm on my third tube in 6mos and love it!

My fave eye primer is by Concrete Minerals on Etsy. AT $9.99 this little pot last a very long time when used with a brush to apply a thin layer. just gor a Heartsy.com coupon and now have credit with CM and plan to stock up.

these two don't let me down ever even in texas heat!

This month Avon just come out with a new line of makeup called ExtraLasting. It's suppose to be  fade-proof, smudge-proof and will stay fresh all day.

• ExtraLasting Foundation lasts up to 18 hours
  • ExtraLasting  Mascara 18 hours
  • ExtraLasting Eye Shadow 12 hours
  • ExtraLasting Lipsticks & Lip Glosses 8 hours

and then of course Avon has their original primer as well called Magix. It's gotten great reviews.

Each item is under $10 and more often than not you can find them on sale in the Avon Brochure

I Use Airbrush Makeup (alcohol based ) From dinair topped with my M.A.C or nyx powder & I last all day no need for primers!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have stopped using face primer (*gasp* Oh, the horror of it all!!!) and lemme tell you why. I'm soooo PARANOID because it seem as though the majority of all primers contain silicones in it. In my experience, this is one of the main ingredients that have caused my pores to clog up and I have so many break-out's throughout my face stemming from it. *sadface*

My face definitely does not stay as nice and flawless by the end of the day, as it looks when I initially apply my make-up first thing in the morning. However, it's a small sacrifice that I am willing to make in order to ensure that the condition of my skin will not be exacerbated from those silicones or any other pore-clogging ingredient in the primer.

Does anyone KNOW if there is a skin primer out in the market that won't clog pores?? Please do share, I would love to know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@hollymadison i've been googling primers that won't clog pores here is one set of primers ive found so far: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110211164041AAiSwBx

i use the L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base, and Smashbox PhotoFinish Light.. so far I haven't broken out from them, nothing more than the occasional breakout but that was going on before i got primers...i still have to do some research though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

just found another: Mattify! Powder

Haha - me too! But sometimes I put a primer on before airbrushing... haven't tried the Smashbox yet though. Generally use MAC.

Back