Contouring?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After replying to the favorite facial features thread I was thinking about my cheeks...haha. I've never contoured my makeup before, but I was wondering how to do it so it makes my cheeks look a little slimmer? People tell me they aren't chubby but I feel kind of self conscious so I want to see what I can do! Is there a different way I should be applying my blush(NARS orgasm)? Or should I not be applying it at all...? Thanks you guys!

Does anyone know how to contour your foundation to make your nose look smaller? Pics would be awesome!!!

TIA =)

Here is a thread from last week.. That might start you off with some tips! I'll search for more info now. I also have a pic of Kevyn Aucoin's Contouring Face Guide so i'll post that in 2 mins

usually you would just use a foundation two shades darker than your skintone and take a synthetic brush(i use mac 192 ) and swipe the foundation down the sides of your nose and on the tip. you can take a lighter foundation color or concealer and swipe down the bridge of the nose also. and then blend, blend, blend! you can also use a wedge or mac 242, 252 brush.

What exactly is contouring on your cheeks and how do you do it? I see those angled blush brushes all the time? Do u need just that one or do you need the regular blush brush as well?

I'm no expert but I think for contouring you need 3 shades of blush or a blush , a highlighter and a bronzer , you brush the darker shade into the hollows under your cheeks , the blush in the middle of your cheek bones and the highligher on top of your cheek bones. hopefully someone else can help

Contouring is really hard to pull off unless u have been doing it awhile (IMO). A contour brush would help if you really need to do it though. You would need a shadow or foundation that's one or two shades darker than your base.

A great book for this, aside from Kevyn Aucoin's, is "Plastic Surgery Without the Surgery" by Eve Pearl. It really teaches u how to contour step by step

This is good information to know.....i never really knew the meaning of contouring except to define the cheekbones more......

I think contouring is more about where you apply highlighter and a darker foundation or bronzer than the actual brush, though I do think those contour brushes would give you a more precise application and make it easier than a large brush. (I have Sonia Kashuk's Contour Brush but I just use it for applying loose powder to my eyelides as an e/s base and under my eyes to set concealor... you can see a pic of the brush in my notepad.) The purpose of contouring is to create the illusion of a slightly different face shape and/or to highlight or minimize certain features. I haven't tried it myself but here are some resources:

Here is a related thread on contouring your nose:

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/showthread.php?t=13733

And some websites on more general contouring techniques:

http://styles101.homestead.com/conhigh.html

http://www.movingmakeup.co.uk/lessons.htm (Good pictures at bottom of page)

I think that second site has been posted in another thread here but I can't find it!

here's a pic about where to contour. ofcourse you don't use that much product though and you blend

I forgot about this thread :/ Neway, thanks guys for the info. Liz that picture looks so confusing...I wouldn't know where to start! That book by Kevyn Aucoin looks interesting, I believe I saw him on Oprah about 4-5 yrs ago and he did some before and after on models. He turned them into completely different people!

Latest posts

Back