Getting your Makeup Done Professionally: Fail or Fantastic?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this question/topic:

Have you ever had your makeup professionally done--whether it was at a MAC counter or by a freelancer at a wedding, or anything in between?

• What was your experience like?
  • Did you end up going home and washing it all off, or adding your own touches?
  • Did you love it?
  • I'd love to hear your experiences!

I've had my makeup done at Ulta and let me just say that I was not impressed at all!  First time, she used only Urban Decay products and the second time, it was Too Faced.

I'm thinking it was the technique of the cosmeticians and not the products since I own a boatload of both.  I guess I'm one of those that like to do my own makeup.  

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had my makeup done at Ulta and let me just say that I was not impressed at all!  First time, she used only Urban Decay products and the second time, it was Too Faced.

I'm thinking it was the technique of the cosmeticians and not the products since I own a boatload of both.  I guess I'm one of those that like to do my own makeup.  
I've had some bad xp's as well getting mine done, but I've also had some really great experiences. I had my makeup done for my dad & stepmom's wedding, and it turned out really well (although I did add a little more liner hee hee). 

I actually like to go get mine done professionally every now and then (I don't mention to the artist that I am one) just to break me out of my routines, and get another 'opinion' on how to do my own.

I had my makeup done professionally and at the Bare Minerals counter. Both experiences were positive. The girls were nice and listen to which look I was going for. I can't say that I'll be able to recreate those looks again with all the product they used. You really can't go wrong with a makeup counter makeover. My only frustration is that they can't get my skintone right. I end up with a terrible foundation line. 

I've been wanting to get my makeup done at Ulta.  What do I do?  Go in barefaced and ask for a makeover or what lol.

They have events just about everyday where you can go in and have an associate do your makeup.  No appointment necessary.  

Great topic!!  I am too particular about my makeup to get it done by another artist.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Plus I really don't have any eyebrows, and most MUAs look perplexed when they figure this out! 

This should be very helpful for those who freelance like me!  Keep the answers coming.

That's got to be frustrating about the foundation, especially if you're outdoors or in harsh lighting where it's REALLY visible you know?

Personally, I always custom blend foundation on clients because I find that many people have very unique skintones, and the major big name brands don't always match up to them (or they warm up to much after application and look a totally different shade that doesn't match!). I've also noticed some people (like me) happen to be much darker in certain areas of my face than others. I'm outdoors everyday so my forhead is much more tan than under my chin. The great thing about custom blending creme foundations is I can work with an array of skin tones vs. relying on a liquid line that won't always work. 

@ kik great info! That's cool you can walk right in...never thought about that!

@ bonnie I'd probably go in bare faced (but I would HATE doing that LOL). I guess if you didn't want to do that you could always ask them to remove your makeup....or just have them do certain parts of your makeup (like if you came in w/ foundation on and just wanted eyes or something?)

The thing I don't like about few times I've had it done @ counters is that I feel pressured to buy all the products I use. I mean, I understand and expect to pay for having my makeup done-just not hundreds of dollars in products. 

When I've gone in, I usually have a product that I'm interested in.  First time, it was UD 24/7 in Bourbon.  I had her use it.  Even though she applied it like crap, I still liked the color and went ahead and purchased it.  That's what I've done.  Had something in mind that I would purchase anyways and had the girl demo it on me.  Win win in my book!

I had my makeup done a handful of times and I was only happy once.  It's what pushed me to be an MUA myself.  I've always sold products and people tend to call me to do makeovers with the products I sell - however, Im getting away from the selling and more into makeup artistry in itself.

My experience is that they always use the wrong shade and layer it on too thick - even after I've said I dont want a made up look.  The last time I had my makeup done it was a complete disaster and I looked more like a geisha instead than a bridesmaid. LOL!

I've been to three places to get my makeup done "professionally" (LMAO).

MAC - she made me look like a clown. TOO heavy on the makeup.

Clinique @ Macy's - she made me look like I had jaundice (too yellow).

MicaBella - allergic reaction to products, unable to return unopened/not used products, screamed at by manager.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MicaBella - allergic reaction to products, unable to return unopened/not used products, screamed at by manager.
So, you'd say you've been unsuccessful, huh?  

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess if you didn't want to do that you could always ask them to remove your makeup....or just have them do certain parts of your makeup (like if you came in w/ foundation on and just wanted eyes or something?)
Good idea. Lol  I don't think I could go out totally bare faced. 

@kiki Thanks for the info :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've never had it done. I want to.. if nothing else so I can have more of a hands on knowledge of what to do when doing someone elses makeup. But I don't know where to go around Fargo. We don't have a MAC counter and I'm not driving to Minneapolis.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never had it done. I want to.. if nothing else so I can have more of a hands on knowledge of what to do when doing someone elses makeup. But I don't know where to go around Fargo. We don't have a MAC counter and I'm not driving to Minneapolis.
Well, it looks like you dont have an Ulta anywhere near Fargo either 
icon_sad.gif
  You can go to the mall inside of Macy's, Dillards, JCPenny's etc and you can try there.

Thanks, I'll try that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah half the companies that are semi-decent don't even have one in North Dakota! I'm in nowhere land till I graduate.

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, it looks like you dont have an Ulta anywhere near Fargo either 
icon_sad.gif
  You can go to the mall inside of Macy's, Dillards, JCPenny's etc and you can try there.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, I'll try that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah half the companies that are semi-decent don't even have one in North Dakota! I'm in nowhere land till I graduate.
Yeah, I'm from the midwest (Chicago) and have driven thru Fargo several times on family trips.  There's really not a whole lot out there 
icon_rolleyes.gif
  Sorry girlie.  

Oh my gosh what a nightmare! Did you buy any products after the application fail? Did they pressure you to? And regarding the MicaBella allergic reaction: the manager screamed at YOU? wow. Allergic reactions can be scary things...

I'd write/get in touch with corporate or their HR about that!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my gosh what a nightmare! Did you buy any products after the application fail? Did they pressure you to? And regarding the MicaBella allergic reaction: the manager screamed at YOU? wow. Allergic reactions can be scary things...

I'd write/get in touch with corporate or their HR about that!

With MAC and Clinique - no. With MicaBella yes because I lied too. The owner of kiosk said I could return it but on the receipt it stated no refunds and the manager was a complete... witch... who screamed at me in the middle of the mall. I posted about it in this forum if you want to read up on it. I have a pending lawsuit against them in small claims for my money back.

Back