Shatter is out? Texture is in?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pandora-young/nail-polish-texture_b_859196.html

Quote:

Nail polish continues to move past being merely a cosmetic decoration and into the realm of an artistic movement, this time with a host of unexpected textures and finishes. I'm particularly fond of the texture trend, because it delivers nail art in a bottle, making it both more convenient and less expensive than most other manicure artistry -- I'm looking at you, Minx.

Shatter Topcoat

The postmodern manicure! The shatter polish is applied like a regular topcoat, but as it dries it splits and crackles for an urban, gritty effect.

2011-05-09-570nailscrack.jpg
From left: Black Shatter by OPI, Lightning Bolt, Broken Hearted, and Cracked Concrete, all by China Glaze.

Tweed

The Jason Wu collection, created in collaboration with CND, features a special effects top coat that contains silk fragments. It gives the nails a fabric-like finish, resembling tweed or suede.

2011-05-09-570nailsfour4.8.jpg
From left: Brigitte, Veronica, Sophia, and Miss Wu, all shown with the Anna topcoat. From CND.

Rubber

The polishes of Orly's Plastix collection dry to a pleather-like finish, making nails look as though they've been coated in rubber.

2011-05-09-570nailstwo4.8.jpg
From left: Retro Red, Viridian Vinyl, Old School Orange, and Purple Pleather, all by Orly.

Matte

Matte nail polish is arguably what started the trend of alternative finishes and textures. Chalkboard flat, it is the antithesis of the typical glossy nail.

2011-05-09-570mattenails.jpg

From left: Mitzi, Lolly, and Phoebe, by Zoya. Matte Smoke by Diamond Cosmetics.

Not shown but highly recommended are the kickass matte nail polishes from indie brand ManGlaze. Their selection includes a silver glitter matte called Hot Mess that looks almost like velvet and is impossible to photograph. I tried and failed.

Follow Pandora Young on Twitter: www.twitter.com/PandoraYoung

I don't about you but I'm loving the rubber and tweed looks.

I like the rubber look! I dont know about tweed...it just reminds me of when I go to bed before my nails are completely dry and you get those sheet marks...ugh.

Zadi! Fantastic information! 

I'm in LOVE with the tweed. It's just such a fantastic look. But I'm think shatter and texture are great way to mix up a mani! 

@kayjay: MY thoughts exactly.

I can make texture:

Step 1: Paint nails

Step 2: Go to bed

Step 3: Wake up to bed sheet prints! Viola!!!

*LOL*

I love the mattes. For those who may not know ... You can mattify a polish you already have. Hard Candy makes a pretty good one. I have a Haute Look order with a few Barielle polishes and I did order their mattifyier polish. I hope to test it ASAP and I'll let yall know how it does.

- Dini :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Omg omg omg omg I love the mattes and rubber lol.  I love anything matte I don't know why.  That tweed kinda looks like you fell asleep before letting your nails dry

sheet nails was EXACTLY my thoughts too. Except, it's like sheet nails to the extreme. Rubber coat looks like a more matte version of the satin coat which is kind of cool. I know matte itself chips horribly no matter what company you use...I wonder how well the rubber stands up?

I still like the Shatter nail polish, I think it would look good for the summer especially the white one. As well I really like the matte and rubber, but the tweed one I'm not too crazy about. 

Crackle is still the real look.  The others look like a crappy polish job.  I wouldn't let anyone leave my salon looking like any of the others.  I guess my clients aren't into tacky looks.

The crackle, which I love, does look like someone's nail polish is chipped so I don't get how the rubber one looks crappy to crackle. To each her own! LOL The rubber ones look like a fun base to do designs on.

I think the rubber is ok, but I agree about the sheets thing on the tweed/matte polishes.

My favorite is still shatter.  I have the new silver shatter, but I still need to get the black.

Originally Posted by kayjay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the rubber look! I dont know about tweed...it just reminds me of when I go to bed before my nails are completely dry and you get those sheet marks...ugh.
I know exactly what you mean!  lol  I thought I was the only one!  :p

I really love the rubber!

Back