What are your thoughts on fake nails?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking what were your thoughts on acrylics and fake nails in general...

Every couple of years or so, I go through this phase where I want to get my nails done (acrylics), and now is one of those times. I have been a nail biter since I was a kid, and have a stopped biting temporarily a few times here and there, but never permanently. I am preggo and feeling like I need to do something extra to "perk up" my appearance now that I've finally gone from frumpy housewife to doing my hair and makeup every day (this board really helps to motivate me to help me looking my best, too!)

So, I guess I was wondering if you all like them, think they're tacky, too expensive, etc...and If I should just get them, although they get pricey with the fill-ins etc... (I told my husband it was an investment in my self-esteem, lol! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />). Btw, the times I do end up getting my nails done, I usually go for about 3 or 4 months then I quit going and let them grow out/ take 'em off (ouch!)...

So, what do you guys think?

Personally, I don't have the money for it. I'm certainly not against anyone who does get fake nails. I always had friends growing up that would go every week!! My nails have always grown fast and been naturally strong, so I've never really found the need to get fakies. I always have people ask me if my nails are fake though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like them! I can't grow mine so I get them done. Even if I could grown them, they'd never look as good as the acrylics :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm not the type to have them on ALL the time though, I do them if there is a special occasion!

I used to have them on for years and years. I got tired of the cost and the maintenance and now have had them off for years and years.

I don't mind if people have them. I think they always tend to look nice.

But for fun here are MY pro's and cons of having them.

Pros:icon_smil

Looks nice

Long nails

Makes you feel better

Nice to have them done

Cons:icon_sad:

Expensive

ruins your nails

When I finally took them off it took over a year for me to have my nails "normal". For the longest time they looked ratty and would break so easily.

I do go and get them put on now and again for special occasions but I usually take them off after about a month.

I say if you want them, then you should get them and enjoy!

I personal think they suit some and not others, i used to have them all the time untill i had a baby and found it difficult to do nappies ect, and my mum used to hav them too untill she found it to hrd to typr on her computer at work. You have to think of every aspect of your day to see if u can cope!!

If you think you can then great - go for it! they are a great 'pick me up' and because you use ur hands every day everyone gets to see them and think "WOW"

Just remember when its time to take them off to soak them off in acitone (nial varnish remover) because it can damage your nails and be very painfull!

I don't think there's anything wrong with fake nails as long as they don't LOOK FAKE.

Meaning, find a really good manicurist who attaches them well and that they aren't dragon-lady claws long. Make sure that at the sides of your nails there is no tell-tale sign that they are fake, make sure they aren't too thick at the tip.

As long as you have good maintenance with them, they will look great.

I've got them done a few times, though I prefer the gel coat over the acrylic coats. Gels look more natural and can have nail polish remover used on them. When I got acrylics done, even the acetone-free nail polish remover kind of melted it and made it coarse.

I've been a nail biter since a kid too and that's why I first tried the fake nails. The problem was that my nails were s short that the fake nails would last two weeks max (I chew my nails up pretty bad).

I wouldn't recommend them for longterm though because the filing damages the nails and the coat doesn't allow them to breathe. In the longterm, you'll wind up with brittle nails. I only leave mine on for a month max before removing them.

Just make sure you go to a proper nail tech because if it's not done properly, you could get in infection.

I myself am I very bad nail biter. I have absolutely no problem with getting fake nails put on. My real nails are very thin and flimsy because I have bitten them for so long. So when I do grow them out, they just tear immediately. Actually I have been wanting to go get them done, but my nails are so short that I don't think they could attach a nail to them.

I agree with Amethyst, as long as they aren't really long and fake looking, I don't see anything wrong with it! (My hairstylist back home always has fake nails that extend almost an inch past her fingertip, painted in bright crazy colors -- I have no idea how she manages to do hair with them but she does! Oh well, it matches her mini-skirts and all the other teenager clothes she wears... and she's 50! Don't look like that and you'll be fine, lol)

I personally wouldn't want to spend the money on it because I'm cheap. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Plus, my nails are naturally pretty strong so I can normally grow them out fairly long! I just file and shape them at home and (when I have time) paint them with drugstore nail polish -- way cheaper than manicures! (And the one time I did have a manicure it looked worse than when I paint my nails myself -- those people had no idea what they were doing!)

Only if they're done up short and natural-looking. IMO, long, boxy acrylics are the equivalent of tapered leg, high-waisted jeans. :icon_redf

I like them with conditions... I used to have them, and I would LOVE to get them again but no $$.

I don't like when they are super long or really thick, so they look obviously fake. I also hate it when they are so square they are pointy on the edges...

i had them done once because i wanted to try it, and they made my real nails terribly soft and yellow and just awful! it took months for them to go back to normal when i took them off. i dont really need fake nails though as mine are naturally strong and they grow pretty fast. i dont mind others having them, each to their own. although i dont like it when they look obviously fake and the girl is like all show-offy about them, i just feel like going up to her saying, those are fake hun, what are you showing off? lol. no offense intended...

They're too "high maintenance" for me. I've had them before and it just gets annoying having to go get them backfilled. Is it safe to be around all those fumes when you're pregnant? Some of those places really smell.

:icon_lol: LOL, amen sister

You know the smell factor didn't even occur to me! (duh) good one, I have to think about that one, b/c you're right some places are terrible...

I think they look nice on some people and have often contemplated getting them but never have because I don't want to ruin my nails plus I hate the fumes.

Ditto! A lot of girsl at my school get them for dances and such, and leave them for awhile for a couple of fills, and some of them look nice, while others just look icky, too thick and boxy like the other girls have already said. Plus, they are too much maintenance for me, and I can grow my nails out pretty long as it is, and I have had people ask me if mine were fake when they have an opaque polish on them! I'd rather buy jewelry or makeup, to be honest:icon_chee

I got them like 4 or 5 years ago and they completely destroy my nails. I'm not against the idea but they are just not for me. Till this date my nails are soft and brittles

I got fake nails put on before homecoming once, and when I had to take them off [i play cello, which is nearly impossible with long nails] I soaked them in acetone but something went wrong and all the skin on my fingers was killed so basically the skin was just peeling off in layers. Not a very pleasant experience.

I think they certainly can look nice. But again it's the damage to your real nails that concerns me.

Also with a new baby coming along soon, they might be a bit of a hinderance..? I don't have any children so i couldn't say for sure, but just something to think about...

I love acrylic nails but usually my nails go long and strong and people sometimes ask if they're fake, especially when I do french manicure; but now however as my nails are peeling due to stress I may consider acrylics or gel nails.

Latest posts

Back