So tinted moisturizer - what's the difference?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the difference between tinted moisturizer and foundation?  Is it supposed to let you skip the step of foundation or something?   Wouldn't loose powder/bronzer over moisturizer do the same thing - and AFIK most people use it anyway to set their makeup...

Tinted moisturizer is what it states - it's a moisturize with a color. Basically if you don't want to wear foundation that day but want some type of (light) coverage - like say you're going to the beach - then you'd use a tinted moisturizer. As the moisturizer is absorbed by the skin you're left with a little bit of color on your face.

that explains a lot! Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ... it actually might be something I'm interested in since it probably wouldn't cover my freckles too much then.

I find tinted moisturizers barely have any coverage.  The only difference I see is my skin looks a little better.  I still have to conceal like a mad woman.  I mix my mineral makeup with facial lotion so I can choose the amount of coverage.  I find loose powder usually has even little coverage and can feel heavy on a hot day.  Also bronzer would just turn your skin a different color : /

I love tinted moisturizers for the days when I don't have time to use foundation. I just quickly apply the tinted moisturizer and my skin looks better than leaving it bare. It won't look as good as it does with foundation but it still looks better than nothing. I sometimes use a little powder and blush on the top and my face looks polished and natural.

It doesn't have to be just for that.  I wear tinted moisturizer most days because it's quick and easy

It doesn't have to be just for that.  I wear tinted moisturizer most days because it's quick and easy
This. Most days, I just do TM, concealer(s) and MSFN. I don't find I cut down on that much time, but it's more fool-proof than foundation. FWIW, I find the BB TM do have pretty buildable, decent coverage - more so than the Stila Sheer Color TM (which I also like.)

I ordered some from Urban Decay, I'm really hoping I like it for the pool or just hot days. Does it rub off easily?? I need some thing light that won't rub all over the inside of my motorcycle helmet... go figure I'd buy the one with a white interior!!

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really need to try some BB cream....
I just found Maybelline BB cream here in Japan, do they have it there?  I won't be going back to NY until July, so I don't know.

How do you wear TM and concealer?  I have undereye circles which need to be concealed, but I don't know how to apply the concealer and the TM without the concealer either being wiped off or standing out like a sore thumb..

:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  You have a motorcycle?!  I'm jealous!  That's so hot!!!

Hehe thanks! I have a streetbike, '02 Honda 600 CBR F4i in red, Mario red 
wink.gif

I love it!! I do notice that girls give me the DIRTIEST looks or cut me off all the time. Guys are usually super excited LOL

We don't have that here :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />... YET lol.  You apply the TM then your concealer

Thanks Bonnie :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's so weird about the Maybelline, it's an American brand, but yet they don't have it there *_*

Hehehehehehe...this is so cool... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hehe thanks! I have a streetbike, '02 Honda 600 CBR F4i in red, Mario red 
wink.gif

I love it!! I do notice that girls give me the DIRTIEST looks or cut me off all the time. Guys are usually super excited LOL

I hear TM's are good to wear on a really hot day. 

You don't want to have that feeling of some heavy foundation of your face when it's feels like 100 degrees outside.

A tinted moisturizer moisturizes your face while giving you a sheer wash of color at the same time. It's very natural looking and the pro of most tinted moisturizers is that they contain SPF, and since they're light, they're most popular during the summer. I never use foundation, ever, because tinted moisturizers are my HG. If you have pretty good skin, rarely get breakouts, and don't like the heavy feeling most foundations give you, then you should definitely get a tinted moisturizer. The Laura Mercier one is the best I've tried so far. I don't feel it AT ALL and it gives a great, natural coverage. The finish is semi-matte, and is NOT over oily

Latest posts

Back