Do you think music is dying?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sure do.  I can't listen to the radio much, except for those stations that play oldies.  The music channels are now full of Reality Tv and young pregnant people shows.  People are more obssessed with their image than their talent and producing good music.  People (notice I am NOT saying artists) are no longer developing and showing off their vocal skills.  Now its all who could dress weirder and who could wear the best designer brands first.  Not to mention the invention of autotune >_< ...that was a mistake...now almost anyone can become a singing sensation.  There are a few geuninely talented musicians but I can probably count them on my right hand.....I just can't anymore with music.

No, I always look forward to new music and so far I still like it. 

I don't think it's dying I think it's evolving.  I DO hate the fact that it's all about looks and publicity now rather than raw talent.

I don't listen to American music except for a few bands like Miss Derringer and Vampire's Everywhere. I listen to primarily Japanese rock and pop.

I Listen to Oldies, Morrisey, Old Rap, 90's Freestyle      That music never Dies  Especially in L.A  So i really dont pay attention to Music now

It's just not as good as it use to be. Im almost 18 and I'd rather listen to 80's music!

Yes, and no. I do think the companies in this industry play on reality show stars, while other people with real talent have to work hard to even get noticed. I have an ecclectic taste so there's always something new for me, but whenever i want to buy a new cd, it will be the latest of an artist or band i know already. Lately i'm into Kpop.

I'm not really a fan of current music. I don't really like music that is profane or suggestive though, which rules out a lot of the stuff today. I do listen to a lot of 90's music, some alternative rock, but I mostly listen to country. I'd say new country isn't bad, but new pop is not for me.

i agree with bonnie krupa...i think it's just evolving, times are changing, i'd have to say i'm more into hit songs from a few years back than now.

I definitely think it is. Even comparing pop music from the 90s to now, it's really depressing.

People might not have written their own songs back then but at least they could actually sing. Nowadays hardly anyone in the mainstream music industry is talented and the lyrics are SO stupid.

There are exceptions, like Adele. It's really nice when someone genuinely talented is actually making it big, it feels like a breath of fresh air.

Mostly I just stick to my weird sub-genres and older music that gives me nostalgia. I have appreciation for all music genres but only what I deem actually talented out of all of them.

Sounds kind of elitist, but it's true. I guess I fit into the group of older listeners that actually has an attention span, shit like Kesha just makes me facepalm.

I listen to old school everything for the most part. When I try new music, I oftentimes don't know what they're talking about. It's like random bits of half phrases lumped together *sigh*

I don't think music is dying, it's changing because people's music taste change continually.

I think that as you get older and have listened to more music - and grown tired with it - you still tend to seek for new sensations, just as when you were young, rather than listen to the same old stuff, whether in its original or its recycled form.

It is. . .It's not necessarily "evolving". Just recycling old ideas. Old songs come back as a sample of something else "new". Just musicians need to get more creative at it.

The music is a part of our life it never dies
smile.gif

if you are talking about mainstream music, its just changing with the times.  If you just follow what's on the radio then yeah, you'll see a decline in talent and a shift towards entertainment value. 

Stuff you see on mtv and listen to the radio is not the only music out there.  Follow certain genres and they are alive and thriving,  continuously putting out new music and making strides within their own realm. 

Its just this generation.  They want crazy and the "wow" factor.  For us musicians who stick to our musical morals, we'll just ride out the storm and wait for all this mess to die.

i have my radio station on mix 106.5.... a real oldie station, best of 80s 90s and now.

i rarely listen to the newer music.... "artists" like rebecca black killed the industry

I hate the music they play on the radio, I still to the underground bands and such. Or I just play oldies or classical music. I sometimes cant even stand lyrics anymore

Back