How Young is Too Young?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Not sure if you saw this little girl on Good Morning America today, but I think she is adorable!

Her name is Maddy and is 5 years old.  She has a YouTube channel with fun makeup tutorials that to me are obviously for her "playtime."  They had a PhD discuss women's studies and the negative ways society "sexualizes" young girls.  I think this is okay because it is obviously "playtime" for her and her mother is the one posting the videos.

What do you guys think? 

In her case you know she's just playing and it's cute. When my kids - both the boys and the girls - were little they use to draw all over themselves with markers, least she's playing with makeup which washes off easily. lol I watches a few videos and it's obvious that it's just playing and for fun.

Now I've seen other so-called YouTube gurus who are between 10 and 16 who DO take it seriously and have high end brands but who look absolutely horrible because they cake on the makeup, don't blend and waste product. I won't name names because it's mean but suffice it to say the parent in me wants to smack not only the girl around but her parents for allowing her to sexualize herself to become a YouTube partner (which several are). Like I said, I can think of a few including a pair of teenage sisters. I'm sorry but at the age of 12 or 13 you shouldn't look like a hooker much less dress like one. I do blame the parent on that since it's obvious they either don't care, have no control of their children (cut their money off parents!) OR don't know (be a parent and monitor your kids online behavior).

I dunno, this is disturbing.  Not so much the girl above, because it's just fun for her.  But what zadi is talking about, I need to see for myself because I can't believe it.  I know it's niaive for me, and things like this should not phase me, but it DOES!!!  I agree with Zadi on this one, the parents are the ones who need to take the fall for this one.

At 5 y.o.... playing for fun - no big deal. But I'm with Zadi... I will not watch all the tween/teen gurus...

It's not the makeup that's creepy, it's the fact the parents have seemingly OK'd her Youtube channel.

^ If I recall correctly her mom could be heard in the background feeding her daughter lines. It's apparent that the mom is the one who puts the videos together and uploads it. Maybe the mom is after a partnership with YouTube since unique channels get partnered and earn money. Who knows but I don't think it's creepy.

this girl's going to wear more makeup then me at 10. when makeup becomes your 'hobby for fun', you end up wearing it daily.

LOL! Seriously.. I get irked by friends rummaging through my makeup let alone a 5 year old getting her kid germs all over it. (can you tell I'm not a mother? haha)

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously, who lets their 5 year old play with their Naked Palette????

LOL Obviously her parents have money if they're letting her play with a Naked palette. I just had a fit over my 16-year-old gouging my $2.99 Wet 'n' Wild palette for goodness sakes! No way I'd let her, much less a 5-year-old near my Naked palette! LOL

Haha I even get mad at myself when I gouge or break a $1 palette.  I don't know why but they have to stay pretty!  haha

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha I even get mad at myself when I gouge or break a $1 palette.  I don't know why but they have to stay pretty!  haha
LMAO! I'm the SAME way.

^ If I recall correctly her mom could be heard in the background feeding her daughter lines. It's apparent that the mom is the one who puts the videos together and uploads it. Maybe the mom is after a partnership with YouTube since unique channels get partnered and earn money. Who knows but I don't think it's creepy.
Putting your kid up for strangers with internet access to oogle your kid doesn't seem like responsible parenting to me, but it certainly doesn't seem any worse than turning your kid into a show pony for a Youtube partnership.

I think its cute & Who knows maybe she'll Grow up to be a MUA Or actress (shes def not camera Shy)  & In a way its cool the Parents are allowing her to have fun & Express herself , & in another way you kinda wonder how did this start  Did this 5 yr old say "Hey mom I wanna do a youtube video for Mu like the girls i see?"   or was this the act of a Creepy "Stage Mom" whos living through her baby girl?

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think its cute & Who knows maybe she'll Grow up to be a MUA Or actress (shes def not camera Shy)  & In a way its cool the Parents are allowing her to have fun & Express herself , & in another way you kinda wonder how did this start  Did this 5 yr old say "Hey mom I wanna do a youtube video for Mu like the girls i see?"   or was this the act of a Creepy "Stage Mom" whos living through her baby girl?

I have to agree with that. Too many parent live through their kids and most do it for greed. If you ever watch Toddlers and Tiaras you'll see so many moms make stupid comments that show they're just greedy... monsters. Oh so hard NOT to cuss about those types of parents.

I don't know, but I wore no make-up until college...this fact is frightening to me now that I didn't give one thought to make-up until I was something like 19..wtf

Back