Any one of you (without a being a licensed beautician) cut your own hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just thought of this as I sat on the bed with my hand mirror, a towel around my neck and a pair of small scissors in my hand as I began to snip... systematically as I could.... my bangs tonight. My hair is in good shape, doesn't need ends trips, color looks great, just my bangs are a tad longer in my eyes than I liked.

I've watched my stylist enough to know how to get a little bit of a razor look with a choppy layer.  As I look at myself in the mirror again, I'm please with how they came out. (Pats myself on the back).

Do any of you NON professionals cut your own hair?  Trim your ends? Angle the sides? Whisp the bangs?  And if so.... ever have a "I will NEVER tell" mishap???  
help.gif

If I just need a trim I just throw my head upside down and cut straight across... It gives me the layers I need and all that. My hair is naturally more wavy and has extra body in it since having kids... I started doing it this way about a year ago and its been great. I don't have a short hair cut to maintain though...

I use to but got tired of not having a style so I went back to seeing a stylist once a year for a style then I maintain it myself at home. Come to think of it, it's nearly time to go in for a cut.

I do the very same thing as Not a Vampire.

For a year or better - I flat iron my hair first, to get a clean line across.

When I let it dry curly, it looks nicely layered with a choppy look, which I love.

I also do my bangs - have been for countless years now.

well i trim my hair :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> when its wet i sometimes take a bit off just to keep it healthy.  but one of my friends got bored one day and took her pony tail and cut it off :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> she came to school the next day and i thought it looked really cute :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so i say don't do anything to drastic because you might not be lucky like my friend.  So stick with trimming your hair and bangs i think :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have cut and styled my own hair since I was 14.  I get women on the street complimenting me and asking if my hairdresser is accepting new clients.  I tell them that I have a private stylist and she has a customer of 1 - me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i have also been cutting my own hair for a while now... i have alsso been cutting my fiances hair for the past 3 years now. He doesnt complain... I have long hair but i am also getting bored of my style, so i have been thinking of going to the hairdresser for some change but its just too expensive...

I've been cutting my own hair for the past two years. I've never had a big mishap but I did give myself straight across bangs which looked terrible on me.

I cut my hair all the time.  I've been cutting my bangs for ...who knows how long.  It's easy, to do and I don't have to instruct someone to cut them just the way  I want.  I more recently cut my own hair too.  I went to the lady 2 times and she still couldn't get it right.  So...snip snip snip lol

I'm AM a hairdresser now but i DEFINITELY cut my own hair before i became one! I feel like every girl should try it! i mean, especially if you have bangs, just because they're so high maintenance, you know? Also trimmed my ends sometimes. Nothing's ever come out bad but i suppose if it did i could always just wear my hair up for a bit! <3TZ

I ALWAYS cut my own hair, and it works out great, but as I am not licensed or anything I don't want to risk any new styles, so I just always stick with the one I know and started a few years ago. It is so boring now, so I am going to get it done in a salon (with a new style) then I can trim myself afterwards.

Originally Posted by NotAVampireLvr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I just need a trim I just throw my head upside down and cut straight across...

I cut my hair the same way, and my daughter's hair, too.

I actually started cutting my own hair a few monts ago. I cant stand paying 65 bucks for a trim. Like maybe for a full cut and style ok but a freaking trim? I dont think so. I can do that myself.. This thread actually reminded me I've gotta go out and buy a good pair of scissors from a beauty supply store so I can give myself a trim soon =)

I have been cutting my hair since I was about 14 ish, so about two years. Beats paying over $50 just to get it cut.

Back