What's your favorite Mineral Makeup Foundation Powder?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey MUTers

As some of you know i am on a quest for a mineral makeup brand. I have used Sheercover and Bare Minerals already.

But I want to pull from the experiences of all of you:

1. What brands have you tried?

2. What's your favorite?

I am primarily focusing on mineral powder foundations, so things like:

1. Coverage

2. Cakeyness

3. Skin reactions

4. Shade availablility

5. and just over cost/ benefit/customer service

Any info would be great. I am running low on stock an hesitate to get new stuff until I hear some reviews. I am including even drugstore brands in this so the whole spectrum of mineral foundations.

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
helpp.gif

I've tried Bare Minerals, EDM (the intensive formula), Lily Lolo, Lumière Veena Velvet formula, Cory cosmetics, OceanMist, Lucy minerals OCS formula.

I would say my favorite is probably the last, Lucy Minerals.

1.Bare Minerals : reaction to bismuth, little coverage (not enough), little staying power. Big disappointment, 100% hype in my case.

2.EDM : fantastic coverage, but drying, whiting (reaction with my sunscreen), and under a few hours, melted on my face, ugh. Proney to cakiness on my skin, i just had a hard time blending it correctly on my face. Given their attitude towards their customers, i don't suggest dealing with this company.

3. Lily Lolo : i loved it, buildable medium coverage, easy blending, no cakeyness, perfect foundation match. I may have used three jars. Combined with their silky setting powder, my foundation lasted about 8 hours, with minimal touchups.

The catch : small amount of shades, and they changed it recently, my older foundation is now at least 2 shades darker, and the two fair foundations don't match me in terms of undertones, too white or too yellow. In terms of shade, i'm in between.

Disappointment for me, so i moved on.

Affordable, so worth the look. Pictures clear and true to life.

4.Lumière : used a couple of jars, still use it. I was tired of having to layer it for my acne scars and rosacea. The staying power isn't bad, but i can't wear it in hot places, or it can melt. Minimal cakeyness.

I have pink undertones, but the neutral foundations suit me way better. The color range is okay, but i wear the shade fair when i'm considered a light skin. I'm pretty sure the white lady wouldn't find a match (custom made is possible though). Pictures true to life.

The biggest jar costs US$18.

5.Cory cosmetics : sadly no match for me. Worth the look for their finishing powders.

6.OceanMist : foundations too yellowish for me, small selection of shades.

The foundation from Lucy minerals has different formulas and have two different just for combination/oily skins, it's full coverage, and a little is really enough. You have to wait until it blends with your skin to see the result, so don't be hastey. It also has a good staying power.

FYI it contains antioxidants and allantoin. I didn't care so much about those details, but they're a nice bonus.

The full size jar costs US$14.

wow , that was a wealth of info and much appreciated. I have oily skin ( parts get dry when i've over scrubbed though), and I live in Minnesota that is the definition of Humid in  the summer. So yeah i def need something that wont melt and wont add to the oil sheen.

I need decent coverage, I dont have bad acne but i get alot of little blemishes, caused by

1.) clogged pores (no matter how often i exfoliate)

2.) hormones (yay)

3.) a mild gluten allergy (which i recently figured out)

oh and genetics. fabby. anyways so yeah I dont have like "major" scars or red marks but i'm not even and i do have breakouts here and there. So i prefer medium-full coverage as a comfort level, i'd rather have the ability to use less than have to keep layering.

Hello Minerals hands down is the best I've tried. I have super duper sensitive skin and this is perfect for my reactive skin. I used Bare Minerals and I liked it a lot. I though, had a reaction to the bismuth and didn't care so much for that disco-dewy glow. I can't say enough good things about this brand. Customer service, product, everything they put out is great. Here's the link if your interested http://hellominerals.com/.

I am a FIRM believer in Bare Escentuals makeup. When I first tried it I had very problematic skin and it has been clear and healthy ever since using the makeup. Not only do I love it but I actually worked there and learned alot! Its all about the BUFFING! Its very important to heat up those minerals that are on your brush to apply them onto your face. And remember a little goes a long way. I like a medium to heavy coverage and I acheive it all the time. As far as cost goes, since a little goes a long way you really get the most for your money. I will say that I have not tried any of the other mineral makeup lines so I wouldn't know how they compare but I am so in love with this product that I havent needed too.

I like the Mary Kay Mineral Foundation, I've tried the BE and ended up with a reaction to it.  I wanted to try the hello minerals brand, but havent gotten around to it.

I just bought UNE natural beauty from a dept store in Paris.  I used it for the first time today over a tiny bit of foundation and it feels pretty good.  My skin looks really smooth and has a slight glow, a nice glow not an oily kind.   My skin is combo and a bit oily in the t zone.  I used a sponge to apply it.  It has a very silky and lightweight texture.  The one annoying point is that it broke as soon as I opened it.   I took the broken pieces and pressed them into an old MAC mineral powder container using a sponge .  That seemed to work fine. 

I usually use MAC mineralize skinfish.  I love this power as well.  Its great for all skintypes.  I use a big power brush and sweap it all over.  It doesnt get cakey even when you layer it up.  Med/dark is great as a brozer for light skintones.  The done is not red or muddy for those who are more fair toned. 

*edited by mod*

Sponging up all of your experiences. I am intrigued by LA Minerals. The different formulation and shade options really appeal to me, and the fact that i can get samples of colors is cool. Then i can figure out what shade i am without dropping a ton right away

Silk Naturals - I'm a loyal fan, they're the only mineral makeup company I purchase from. I've tried some BE stuff, and I just ended up liking SN much better. Silk Naturals has a customized foundation thing where you mix your own foundation - although the only powder I buy from them is their perfecting powder (amazing stuff!), I've heard people get amazing results with the mix your own thing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope that helped.

I love the one I make myself.  Its formulated for what I want and need and I know exactly whats in it.

That's the great thing about their products. . . Sampling. All of them are wonderful. Even the eye shadows, blush and concealers. [From what I use]

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sponging up all of your experiences. I am intrigued by LA Minerals. The different formulation and shade options really appeal to me, and the fact that i can get samples of colors is cool. Then i can figure out what shade i am without dropping a ton right away

Yeah I'll be getting some samples this week from them, I am really axcited about that actually. I know I am not a cool tone, i am pretty sure I am neutral. But i want to try medium warm, neutral and beige to see what works.

Have you tried any of their brushes?

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the Mary Kay Mineral Foundation, I've tried the BE and ended up with a reaction to it.  I wanted to try the hello minerals brand, but havent gotten around to it.

I spent 12+ hours on my boat. Sun, humidity, water...and my Hello Minerals looked just as flawless when I got home. Not to mention it covered 2 big chin pimples. Yet, another reason why I love this makeup. Plus no sunburn. Not looking like a lobster face at work : Nice indeed!

I actually haven't tried their brushes. . . just the makeup. [oh, and their lip balms.] 

But I would most def recommend getting a Veil to put over their foundations for the finishing touch. It makes it more flawless looking and even stays put in sweat and water after being wet or swimming.

I've tried some mineral makeup as well and I've found that I really like Jane Iredale and Estee Lauder mineral makeup. Jane Iredale goes on smooth and doesn't irritate or cause breakouts. It's pricey but worth it. I didn't like bareminerals. It just didn't work for me. The coverage wasn't good. I also love my Estee Lauder Double Wear Mineral loose powder. I just wore it yesterday and had forgotten how well it works and how much I love it. I was in a major hurry so I used the first foundation I got my hands on and it was EL Mineral loose powder. The coverage was perfect and it was so easy to apply. My skin was just glowing. The color lasted all day and didn't change and I didn't burn even though I was in the sun most of the day. This powder really works!

Just placed an order with LA Minerals for 15 samples. <Giddy>

I am trying:

Code:
 Formula: Valley Girl, Shade: Fair Warm Formula: Valley Girl, Shade: Medium Neutral Formula: Valley Girl, Shade: Medium Warm Formula: Valley Girl, Shade: Medium Beige Formula: Valley Girl, Shade: Fair Beige Veil Shade: Fair Beige Veil Shade: Medium Warm/Neutral Veil Shade: Medium Beige Oil Control Powder Shade: Medium Lush Blush Shade: Nude Lush Blush Shade: Pimped Mauve Concealer Shade: Bisque Concealer Shade: Just Peachy Concealer Shade: Ambient Bronze Shade: On Stage Illuminizer

Try Mahya Mineral Makeup. They are 100% pure crushed minerals with medium to full coverage. Contains only minerals and no additives such as Talc, Bismuth, etc. It's pricing is reasonable at $19.99 and can order online at www.mahya.com. They sell worldwide and their main office is in Dallas, TX where they manufacture all of their products and do not get their minerals from China like most companies. They use the highest quality of minerals and they wear time is amazing. It covers everything and they have many different shades to choose from! 
rolleyes.gif

Since almost 1 year, my favorite mineral makeup brand is Osé Mineral Makeup

I buy directly from their website:

http://www.ma-boutique-beaute.fr/

[SIZE=11pt]My skin is very sensitive and I have no problem with this mineral makeup.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]One of my friends told me that when you buy BareMinerals for instance at Sephora, remove the label on the back of the pot and have a look on the back label, there is an ingredient list, it contains bismuth. Have a look on the Internet to get the definition of Bismuth.[/SIZE]

I am using Elea Blake mineral foundation. (You can see many of their products at www.eleablake.com.) It is not sold in stores unfortunately. If you want any Elea Blake makeup you have to order it online, off of their website. If you don't live in the USA you can still buy their makeup too BTW, but you have to send Darin Wright an email telling her what you want to order, and then give her your name, mailing address and credit card info and stuff. It's quite expensive to have it shipped but I personally think it's worth it. After using their mineral foundation I don't think I would want to go back to using liquid foundation or pressed powder compacts. I so much prefer just sweeping all my foundation on with a brush, and I even think it makes my face/skin look better/healthier than some other foundations!

So far I've found that it doesn't cause any redness/dryness or adverse reactions. I don't break out in pimples from using it. (That's a common issue I had with other non-mineral foundations.) It's amazingly long wearing.I apply it on my face in the morning, and I find that even if I go for a brisk walk outside in the Summer heat and humidity (I live in Southern Ontario, Canada..it gets really hot and humid here in the Summer) my foundation doesn't wear off. I actually find that my face doesn't even get as sweaty or oily in the Summer when I wear this foundation. (This may depend on how oily your skin is though, but normally my skin can get pretty oily in the Summer.) I apply the foundation with a normal powder brush that has bristles that are a little bit stiff and it gives me excellent coverage. I really don't think you'll have coverage issues with this makeup, their foundations, bronzers and some eyeshadows can all be used as a mineral concealer too. I use their products and I find it makes my skin look beautiful and flawless. (I know that sounds like a commercial, I love their makeup though lol.) I also even find that it makes some of the lines around my mouth slightly less noticeable, so I think it it is good for mature skin too. The only other thing I want to point out though is that although the coverage of he foundation is really good, when you wear a full face application with medium-full coverage you can actually feel the makeup sitting on your face a bit. Mind you, I find the same thing is true with other long wearing brands. I've also used Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light foundation and I find it feels about the same on my face. So if you really dislike actually being able to FEEL your makeup this product might not be for you. In every other way it is amazing though.

In terms of color range: their color range is huge. You should be able to find the perfect match for your skin. And, even if you can't: if you visit their studio in person Darin Wright (who owns the company) can custom-mix the perfect foundation for you! If you write to her and ask you receive little samples of all their foundations. Test them on your jaw line using a Q-tip, sponge applicator or your finger. The perfect color will "disappear" on your jaw line. One other thing I should mention too is that all of their makeup is "color analyzed" using the Sci/Art PCA system, so all of the colors (and the foundations) are categorized into one of the 12 Sci/Art color seasons. Soo..if you don't know your color season this might be tricky for you. Again..you can visit Darin Wright in person and she can color analyze you. (Drape you.) Unfortunately, the Elea Blake studio (that she works out of) is located in Chatinooga, Tennessee. I actually have never seen her in person because of the distance I live from her. But I pretty much know that I'm an Autumn. My foundation match with Elea Blake is actually a color they call "Nurturing", which they categorize as a Soft Autumn overtone. (All their colors are named after the stereotypical personality traits that each of the 12 seasons is supposed to have.) I believe I am actually a True Autumn though, all the other colors I've been using are the True Autumn ones and they look natural on me, but I digress.

I really do recommend their foundation a lot. It's $45, which is a little expensive I admit, plus you have to pay shipping and handling on it but I still highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back