Wearing Dramatic Makeup to a Wedding--Yay or Nay!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought this would be an interesting topic; here's the scenario:

You're invited to a wedding (friend's, relative's, whatever). Your normal everyday look/style is dramatic, and is considered "on the non-natural side of things "by standard makeup "rules."

Do you wear your normal style makeup to the wedding? Do you tone it down? Do you consider it rude or acceptable to wear dramatic makeup to a wedding?

What are you thoughts/opinions?! Can't wait to hear!

I think you should DEFINITELY tone it down and just use neutrals.

Dramatic makeup could upstage the bride, so keep it looking good yet natural.

I'd keep it neutral too. Maybe you can do a day look, and turn it into a night look at the Reception.

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought this would be an interesting topic; here's the scenario:

You're invited to a wedding (friend's, relative's, whatever). Your normal everyday look/style is dramatic, and is considered "on the non-natural side of things "by standard makeup "rules."

Do you wear your normal style makeup to the wedding? Do you tone it down? Do you consider it rude or acceptable to wear dramatic makeup to a wedding?

What are you thoughts/opinions?! Can't wait to hear!

It's rude. The day is about the bride and not someone else. Always keep the makeup looking good but never out do the bride.

I Say If the Bride Knows you & knows Your Everyday look is Dramatic Than she wouldnt mind you Being you Unless she is a complete "B"   I cant stand that whole Dont/cant look better than me on My wedding day Insecurities its ridiculous I Say However you Feel comfortable Wearing your MAkeup Than Wear your Makeup that way!!!!!  Its just Makeup some heavy shadow, Lashes, Its not like you should go in hooker heels, & a mini skirt!!!   Ive worn Heavy dramatic to every wedding Ive gone too & Have gotten some compliments too & Not once has anyone said "how dare you wear more makeup than the bride" lol

I agree!

I remember the very first wedding I went to, I was feeling anti-wedding...and I did dramatic hair, makeup, etc....i wanted to be better than anyone else...bad idea! haha...

It's best to appear neutral/nice/non-threatening...
biggrin.gif

unless you are Lady Gaga, then you can do whatever you want!
icon_twisted.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's rude. The day is about the bride and not someone else. Always keep the makeup looking good but never out do the bride.

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gifunless you are Lady Gaga, then you can do whatever you want!
icon_twisted.gif
LOL That reminds me of how she went to a family member's graduation or something like that and she was dressed in some weird outfit so of course it was all about HER instead of the family member's day. She should have gone low key as Stefani and let the family member have her day versus having gone as Lady Gaga and making it all about her. Rude on Stefani/Lady Gaga's part in my book.

^^^ I think thats funny If it was her family member I bet shes been using gaga as her claim to Popularity & I bet she didnt mind.

As for MUsingmuse-  Now what u did yeah a bit rude You went all out with an intention to stand up everyone, The original post states That if your Evryday look Happens to be a dramatic look anyways should she tone it down?

Greeneyedlady  I totally get what you mean My Everyday look is a full set of lashes , 2-3 shadows, liner blush lip liner lipstick , highlight n contouring (slight), When i have gone out with friends or family or co workers  & i happen to have very little or toned down Mu  I actually get more reaction because they all cant believe Im not "myself" lol They say are you feeling ok Why didnt you feel like putting on some pretty shadow or lashes  2day or  Aw your Face looks gorgeous but i always look forward to seein what new eye makeup your gona have on!!!!

I agree!  If your normal style is dramatic, why pretend to be someone you are not.  It doesnt matter anyways, gossip grows at weddings whether its too much makeup or too short of a skirt... its a wedding... the focus will always be on the bride regardless of what's going on around at the party... if the bride doesnt have enough umph to make her own day special then thats her problem.  NOT mine.  People know me and they know what I am about, if you dont want me there, dont invite me.

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I Say If the Bride Knows you & knows Your Everyday look is Dramatic Than she wouldnt mind you Being you Unless she is a complete "B"  

... when i have gone out with friends or family or co workers  & i happen to have very little or toned down Mu  I actually get more reaction because they all cant believe Im not "myself" lol They say are you feeling ok Why didnt you feel like putting on some pretty shadow or lashes  2day or  Aw your Face looks gorgeous but i always look forward to seein what new eye makeup your gona have on!!!!

Exactly!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
  You took the words right out of my mouth! LOL!

It doesn't matter what they wear... they are celebrities and will ALWAYS get attention whether they are wearing a garbage bag or not.  If you're second cousin is Lady Gaga and you invite her to your wedding - you better be ready to be one-up'd! 

A friend of mine invited her first cousin to her wedding... her first cousin happen to be a Spanish soap opera star... guess what... On Facebook a coworker wrote "Bride? what bride? All I know is that I was two table away from so and so and one of the paparazzi got my picture taken with her!  It was the wedding of the year (for me at least)."

You have to expect stuff like this if you know celebritards.

LOL That reminds me of how she went to a family member's graduation or something like that and she was dressed in some weird outfit so of course it was all about HER instead of the family member's day. She should have gone low key as Stefani and let the family member have her day versus having gone as Lady Gaga and making it all about her. Rude on Stefani/Lady Gaga's part in my book.

I totally agree. When I get married and someone "shows me up" and looks better then me, I don't care and it think its stupid that Brides and other people out there let this bother them. Sure someone may have on a great dress or fantastic make up but its not like that person is mowing over the bride going down the isle directly stealing all the attention away. Obviously I think its wrong to on purpose show up the bride, but if you roll on the more dramatic side then I say stick with it. Especially if the Bride knows how you look/do your makeup.

Weddings can be so political! 

I Say If the Bride Knows you & knows Your Everyday look is Dramatic Than she wouldnt mind you Being you Unless she is a complete "B"   I cant stand that whole Dont/cant look better than me on My wedding day Insecurities its ridiculous I Say However you Feel comfortable Wearing your MAkeup Than Wear your Makeup that way!!!!!  Its just Makeup some heavy shadow, Lashes, Its not like you should go in hooker heels, & a mini skirt!!!   Ive worn Heavy dramatic to every wedding Ive gone too & Have gotten some compliments too & Not once has anyone said "how dare you wear more makeup than the bride" lol

I personally feel like you should wear you hair and makeup however it suits you, anytime anywhere, period.  Forgive me for saying this, but I think the whole Bridezilla train of thought that no one can look better than her on that day is ridiculous, selfish, shallow and vain.  Silly me, I thought weddings were about the beginning of a marriage and a life together, not a makeup contest.

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A friend of mine invited her first cousin to her wedding... her first cousin happen to be a Spanish soap opera star... guess what... On Facebook a coworker wrote "Bride? what bride? All I know is that I was two table away from so and so and one of the paparazzi got my picture taken with her!  It was the wedding of the year (for me at least)."
Now that's just rude!!

Anyway, I think if I did dramatic for everyday I would tone it down for a wedding. I would feel bad if I upstaged the bride seeing as though her wedding is one of the most important events in her life.

I'd say that it depends on the bride's attitude.  I know I'd tone it done simply because it would be a nice expression of how much I care about the person (which if I am going to their wedding, I really do care).  It also matters what their intent is; if this is their normal style that's perfectly fine; but if they are trying to upstage me, I'd be a little po'd.

Weddings totally lost its original meaning... now it's a beauty/glamour contest... have you seen the show Bridalplasty or something like that. The brides compete for plastic surgery before their weddings...

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally feel like you should wear you hair and makeup however it suits you, anytime anywhere, period.  Forgive me for saying this, but I think the whole Bridezilla train of thought that no one can look better than her on that day is ridiculous, selfish, shallow and vain.  Silly me, I thought weddings were about the beginning of a marriage and a life together, not a makeup contest.

@ Muse - I remember seeing a commercial for that somewhere...

On a side note, Bridezilla's is my secret guilty pleasure... these biotches are insaine!  I love the "Where are they now" episodes and the brides say stupid things like, "Oh, I never said that, the show made me out to be an ubber snot nose!"  Then the moderator says a smart remark and replays the original episode to the exact moment when the bride said, "Uh, Im behaving like such a snot nose!"  BUAHAHAHAHAHAA!  Ooops sorry - got carried away.

Thanks for all of your interesting thoughts/opinions everyone! In my experience w/ bridal makeup, most brides prefer to stand out most in their wedding party, and want the look with the most 'pop,' and I encourage this...after all, it is THEIR big day. It's also important they show up in pictures and look as flawless as possible.

HOWEVER, I've had plenty of brides let me know to give whatever look a bridesmaid wants, no matter how dramatic she'd like it. I guess it's all a personal preference; I'm not having a wedding (seen enough of em LOL), but if I did I could care less what other women wore to my wedding, or even in my wedding photos. I'd rather have them look their best, and use whatever makeup means to do so; but hey, I'm a makeup junkie and that says it all right there.

As a guest, I would hope to know the bride well enough to go off of her tastes. If she's the type who would get offended by my "usual" dramatic makeup, I'd tone it down. If she was a friend who's a fellow makeup junkie and I knew she wouldn't care, I'd stick to my usual routine.  I'd also consider the time of day I'd be seen at the wedding. If it's a  wedding later in the afternoon/early evening, I think it's OK to wear somewhat heavier makeup. If it was in harsh daytime light, I wouldn't wear anything dramatic-especially not thick liner.

I guess all in all "it all depends" with me...but at the same time I wouldn't be so dramatic with insane winged liner and huge lashes, etc., no matter what--it is a wedding, not a club.

She dressed like that because her sister (the one graduating) told her to (for whatever reason), I'm sure Gaga would never upstage her sister like that just cause she felt like it.

Back