BRIDAL BEAUTY BASICS FOR MAKEUP ARTISTS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thank you to Suzanne Talmont from LeCosmetique for this wonderful guest post. 

BRIDAL BEAUTY BASICS FOR MAKEUP ARTISTS 

[SIZE=14pt]When working with brides, the most important thing is making sure they are happy with their makeup. Understanding their makeup style, and preferences is key to building your bridal clientele. Here are just some basics when getting into bridal makeup.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Makeup should be long wearing. It typically takes experimenting with products to understand what is long-wearing. This experience with product and understanding what works and doesn't is valuable to your client, and she will have more confidence in you if you are confident with your cosmetic choices.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=14pt]Understand what her style is. I always have my brides come in with their makeup on, so that I can get a good sense of what they are used to already. Does she wear nothing but chapstick and mascara? Or does she wear a smoky eye for her day look? This will help you determine what her comfort zone is as far as makeup styles to choose for her big day.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=14pt]Know where to stop with trends. Most brides want to look timeless in their photos, so be careful not to choose really trendy colors or looks. Trends are fun for runways, but be careful what you decide on wedding day makeup.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=14pt]Waterproof. Make sure your makeup is as waterproof as possible. A wedding day is a long day, so make sure you always choose waterproof [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]eyeliner[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt], mascara, lash adhesive, etc.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=14pt]Be careful with mineral makeup. Mineral makeup can tend to be overly reflective, so be careful not to use it over the entire face, and just place where you want highlighting. Also,  (if you don’t already provide touch-up powder) be sure to ask your bride what powder she will be touching up with. I’ve had brides that have touched up with mineral powder that had too much bismuth in it, and they looked so shiny in their pictures from using the wrong product.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=14pt]Make your run-throughs (or trials) complete. If your trial is coming beforehand, she should see what the makeup will look like exactly on the day of her wedding. Knowing that she will love her makeup, it will take the stress off of her, and she won’t have to worry whether or not she will love her makeup. If you are airbrushing, use [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]airbrush[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]. If you are using [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]false lashes[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt], use them at the trial. Ensuring your clients satisfaction during the trial will make the wedding day go by smooth.[/SIZE]

Suzanne Talmont is the Founder of LeCosmetique, an online cosmetics boutique geared toward the fabulous and challenging lifestyle of a makeup artist.  LeCosmetique offers a collection of  leading industry products with one goal in mind: To offer "the best pro-quality cosmetics at an affordable price and provide exceptional customer service."  LeCosmetique is open to makeup artists and beauty enthusiasts alike. For more beauty articles such as this post, check out the LeCosmetique Beauty Blog.

I couldn't agree more with this advice, especially on the "getting to know your bride" section. Many artists make the mistake of creating what they envision as a great bridal look as opposed to what the bride wants. I think it's great to give your professional opinion if you are seeing a problem area/issue with what she wants (like a super dewy look that you know will look oily on camera), but the bottom line is that she's paying you for what she wants on HER day. 

Thanks for sharing! Great read.

I think SPF should definitely be an option that is offered to her. You can offer her a moisturizer with SPF that is light and safe to use under makeup.  I work with the Eucerin Social Media team and I use the Everyday Protection Face Lotion that has an SPF 30.  I love it because it saves me a step as it is a moisturizer with the benefit of spf. I use it in the morning and I am happy knowing that my face is protected on my walk to the subway to get to work.

This is something that should definitely be thought about, especially if the wedding is outdoors or if they will be taking pictures outside.  You don't have to be at the beach to be at risk for incidental sun exposure.

@ exoticaveronica

Absolutely true, I meant it more as a stay away from foundations with an SPF or Face creams with an incredibly high SPF. They can cause blow out but sunscreen should be a part of your daily routine in all seasons. If you are going to be inside for most of your wedding stepping outside for

Back to the thread,

also take the age of your bride into consideration. I have seen a lot of MUA's lean towards Nude shimmers and they can be pretty but sometimes they do not work for the bride. It can almost take away from the dress depending on how classic they are going with the wedding. It can also make them look much older then they are. I tend to stay with mattes on the eyes and use only a finely milled shimmer in the browbone.

And please take into consideration the skin of the bride. Most skin highlighters have shimmer in them. If the bride has large pores, you are making them more defined by adding a shimmery highlighter on the cheeks. Instead, use a matte eyeshadow or powder foundation a little lighter than the bride's skin tone. It will give the illusion of higher cheekbones without making her look like she has huge holes in her face.

Nice info... Specially, I agree with the trial thing. All things which a bride wants can be discussed and tried on the trial day.

Not all shimmers are created equal, some have hot spots [ glitter ] don't use these it photographs like sweat. on older skin a small amount of shimmer should be used because as we age the skin looses it's natural reflective quality and this needs to replaced to create a more youthful appearance.If you find that your shimmer is too strong cut it for powders use translucent powder for creamy or liquid illuminators use moisturizer or mix it with foundation. For large pores apply a little highlighter and gently wipe it off the high areas this will leave the deep areas lighter, softening the look.

Tnx for sharing.

What do you think about the Makeup For Ever HD powder? I use this also for my brides and it gives a beautiful matt finish over the whole makeup.

Great article! Thanks for sharing, i couldnt agree more with this! Always take your time & listen to the bride she will give you all the hints you need :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not all shimmers are created equal, some have hot spots [ glitter ] don't use these it photographs like sweat. on older skin a small amount of shimmer should be used because as we age the skin looses it's natural reflective quality and this needs to replaced to create a more youthful appearance.If you find that your shimmer is too strong cut it for powders use translucent powder for creamy or liquid illuminators use moisturizer or mix it with foundation. For large pores apply a little highlighter and gently wipe it off the high areas this will leave the deep areas lighter, softening the look.
I was just going to mention older brides. Make sure to have matte and slightly pearlised shadows. No glossy/glittery looks
madno.gif
 It makes for awful photos.

I was recently teaching a class in Hong Kong and found out that it is tradition to do photographs 6 months to a year in advance so there are photographs for the guests to look at.

I love hearing about other traditions.

Latest posts

Back