QOTD July 13, 2011: What Confuses You?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know many things about many subjects but I don't claim to know Everything about Every subject and I'm sure many of you are the same.  There are things in this world that I just DON`T get!  What about you?  What confuses you?

Me?  Directions confuse me... north, south, east or west??? I have no clue!  

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know many things about many subjects but I don't claim to know Everything about Every subject and I'm sure many of you are the same.  There are things in this world that I just DON`T get!  What about you?  What confuses you?

Me?  Directions confuse me... north, south, east or west??? I have no clue!  

Me too! Utah was a perfect state for me because the streets were labeled according to how many blocks north, south, east or west from the center it is. Streets are 100 North or 500 West instead of something like "Maple St."

I don't get math...at all. Once quadratic equations started it was over.

That's how my husband gives directions... go north on this street and go west on that street and go 1 mile east blah blah blah...

I have to do math.  I work with numbers ALL day long.  I'm an account ... math math math.   I didn't think I'd be more at home with numbers than I am and showing people the logic and stories behind a bunch of numbers in accounts. Go figure, literally :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also used to have major problems with N/S/E/W, until I started doing some major travelling and living overseas. Just like the new language I picked up out of necessaity, I had to learn this mode of taking and giving directions, or condemn myself to being perpetually lost in countries where I didn't speak or understand the languages. It's a universal way of doing so, unfortunately :) What else? Why some people are just truly self-centered....I guess that angers me more than confuses me, actually :) I think there are more issues that bother/irritate me than actually confuse me LOL

This isn't the place to tell people what bothers you.  I may put that as a question of the day.  

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also used to have major problems with N/S/E/W, until I started doing some major travelling and living overseas. Just like the new language I picked up out of necessaity, I had to learn this mode of taking and giving directions, or condemn myself to being perpetually lost in countries where I didn't speak or understand the languages. It's a universal way of doing so, unfortunately :) What else? Why some people are just truly self-centered....I guess that angers me more than confuses me, actually :) I think there are more is.  sues that bother/irritate me than actually confuse me LOL

I, too, get very confused directions.  Once someone starts telling me on the phone how to get somewhere, I tell them to please hold and I give the phone over to my husband.  Puts him on the spot and he hates it, but if I didn't do that, we would never get where we are going! LOL  I used to be good at directions and I guess I am if I have a map, but that's confusing all on it's own.  How confusing is it to refold a map?  It can be like rocket science some days! LOL I know you all know what I'm talking about and laughing to yourself.  It's funny when you aren't in the middle of getting miffed b/c you can't follow the folds! LOL

That's why we got a GPS haha :) If somebody stars giving me directions, I just say 'Don't worry about it. All I need is the address and I can put it in our GPS'. Some people truly aren't good at giving directions as they have no sense of direction themselves, so that GPS makes me love it every time we get in the car. Any place we ever want or need to go, even outside of Canada, can always be found on that thing. It seriously lowers my amount of stress when driving because I always know I will never be lost due to my own screw ups, or the badly given directions from others. Therefor, I am rarely late for anything anymore, which is also great.

Oh lord, I cannot stand maps. All those stupid folds LOL It's like having an explosion of uncooperative paper in the car. We will be buying maps for Indonesia for it when we go back there to live again because the roads there are an absolute maze with crazy drivers everywhere. Another plus to having a GPS is that with the amount of appointments my husband and I have between us, we never have to worry about locating a new office in any city or town. It's funny, I got my mother a GPS a few years back for Christmas because she flips out in the car every time she used to take me to my doctor's appointments before my husband got to Canada. It really stressed me out and a couple of times I ended up getting really angry at her, just getting out of the car and calling a taxi to get home. But even though she now has that GPS, she NEVER uses it! It sits in the glove box, untouched. She absolutely refuses to learn anything new that's related to technology *gaaahhhh* Needless to say, I never get in her car anymore AND I never take her anywhere in my car. If she's driving, she's freaking out if she's lost. Which is always. If I'm driving, she is constantly telling me which way to go - freaking out if I don't listen to her - when I've got my GPS sitting right there on the dash which I am pretty sure has a better sense of direction that she does!

Left vs. Right.  Someone tells me to turn right...I start to turn left and they yell "NO, your other right".  Math confuses me.  I can add.  I can subtract.  After that, forgetaboutit.  Complicated instructions confuse me.  Whenever I get a new toy....I hand the instruction book to my husband, have him read it and then teach me.  I learn better from someone showing me how to do something, as opposed to reading about it. 

My "wife" calls me GPS, I have a really good sense of direction. PLUS I can give really directions to those like urself...I would say something like turn left at the McDonalds right at burger king if you passed Wendy's you've gone to far! LOL

what i have problems with is grammar, to put the comma or not to put a comma...especially when to use "they're,their, there, their's" ughhh HATE It! even spelling i have trouble with but oddly enough I can spell the names of medications since i work in the pharmacy..like "cyclobenzaprine" but i can't spell "follow" just the other day...
doh.gif

What confuses me??????   People!!!! Some of them just need to know what they are talking about before they start shooting their mouths off. I don't see how someone doesn't feel embarressed when they state something that isn't a fact. It just boggles my mind. LOL!

This is a frustration not a confusion. 

Originally Posted by CLKR97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What confuses me??????   People!!!! Some of them just need to know what they are talking about before they start shooting their mouths off. I don't see how someone doesn't feel embarressed when they state something that isn't a fact. It just boggles my mind. LOL!

For someone that can't drive.. I'm pretty good w/directions and maps..   I think.. lingo.. 

Like.. I can be proficient and do jobs well.. but when someone asks me about something specific.. sometimes I just freeze up and don't understand what they are saying... its even funnier when I'm doing it at the moment.. but just not thinking of what its called.

BUT... I was able to learn spanish enough to speak to people by just listening.. so.. idk..........

I get brain farts all the time, I just forget something I've known how to do for years and years and for that instance...I've forgotten.  

That's how kids learn to speak languages...

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For someone that can't drive.. I'm pretty good w/directions and maps..   I think.. lingo.. 

Like.. I can be proficient and do jobs well.. but when someone asks me about something specific.. sometimes I just freeze up and don't understand what they are saying... its even funnier when I'm doing it at the moment.. but just not thinking of what its called.

BUT... I was able to learn spanish enough to speak to people by just listening.. so.. idk..........

Yes.. kids because they are raised w/it.. and its around them all the time.. its not really a choice.

Most adults I know can't just stand there and put the effort into learning by just listening though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I get brain farts all the time, I just forget something I've known how to do for years and years and for that instance...I've forgotten.  

That's how kids learn to speak languages...

Sometimes you don't have that choice, especially if you don't know the language.   You can pick it up by listening to other people.  My daughter picked up Spanish from Dora before she picked up English.  

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes.. kids because they are raised w/it.. and its around them all the time.. its not really a choice.

Most adults I know can't just stand there and put the effort into learning by just listening though.

Divas! - Divas confuse me so much, I don't understand how they work and why they are like what they are .....!

I also don't understand the concept of sings on the road that say "speed monitored closely" on roads that I never see any police cars on?
I don't know just a thought :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have a good amount of those around me.

ALSO. I don't understand the habit of biting your nails and how that is comforting? 

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I get confused by forms to fill in. Name and address is Ok but after that I just go blank. Maths is a bit of confusion for me as well. I hated algebra in school all those a over b equals c stuff. What was that all about?

Originally Posted by amylovesmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also don't understand the concept of sings on the road that say "speed monitored closely" on roads that I never see any police cars on?

I don't know just a thought :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have a good amount of those around me.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah I don't either. Is it that they're trying to get us to see how fast we're going so we'll slow down? My husband drives fast all the time and a speed monitored closely sign isn't going to stop him haha. Sometimes I do though, I don't like to drive over the speed limit, which is 70 here in Texas. It was 55 in my home state of New York. 70 is scary.

Latest posts

Back