What color of eyeliner to use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am blond, light-skinned, with blue eyes. My eyelashes are so light & look odd with black mascara, so I am forced to use brown. Should I use brown as an eyeliner, too? I think black is too harsh. What colors do you recommend for me that won't be too harsh and noticeable? Sorry, I am such a newbie at make-up.

There is soft black and black black mascara. Have you tried mixing a brown with black to tone down the black?

I know how you feel! Im blonde,fair, and I have blue eyes. I always use a dark brown eyeliner. I use covergirl lash blast fusion in blackbrown for mascara. Black just doesn't look natural on me. One plus is that brown makes blue eyes stand out.

I'm blonde with blue eyes and just recently I tried brown/black eye liner. I really liked the way it looked. Normally I use black for night time and grey for day time. I always use black mascara however because the only time I tried brown mascara, I looked like I was sick. It just didn't look right on me. For you if brown mascara looks better on you, I would also try a brown or brown/black eye liner. You can also also use eye shadow to line for a softer look.

black can give you a nice contrast. But if you want something lighter, light browns work..purples, mostly baby colors (baby blue, baby pink). Also if you use too many lighter colors, you might look ghostly.

MAC Blitz and Glitz Fluidline. It's got some gold shimmer in it, but it's not super-noticeable. It's a softer-black (I'm very fair, blonde & blue-eyed as well) than Blacktrack, BB Black Ink, etc. but it's still dramatic enough. UD24/7 in Bourbon if you're looking for a brown, CG Liqui'line Blast in Brown Blaze if you're looking for something not as warm.

yes soft blacks and charcoals are a softer effect, there's also dark browns that are dark but not as dynamic as a blackest black.

Charcoal black looks better, i agree, as well as dark brown. You can also go for ocntrast by trying a colored liner like blue, green. Chose a medium color, it's trial and error, but light colors can make you look tired, or ghostly as another poster said.

I, too, am blue eyed, blonde hair, light skin.  I burn within the first 5 mins out in the sun!  I wear all different colors of eye liners.  I wear black for my bold looks, I wear a gunmetal for daytime.  I wear purples, blues, greens, dark browns and light browns. Basically, I wear whatever color compliments my eye makeup or color of outfit that day.  I don't go for the "natural" look, normally.  I don't mind if people can "see" that I'm wearing makeup. And I always wear the blackest of black mascaras.

There are all kinds of different color eyeliners to choose. If I were you, I'd go with light blues, purples, whites, etc. The light colors make your eyes look bigger. In my school, many blondes wore black eyeliner. It did look harsh. You can go with brown and black-brown liner of you want darker colors. You even can go with black if you want a night time look. At night, sultry makeup is okay since it's night.

another alternative you can try as well, is using eyeshadows...like bronzes and browns (MAC browndown, bronze, patina, beauty marked etc), to apply

as a liner on your top and bottom lashlines, lightest color first, then darker, and blend it out with a brush...it is a nice subtle, not too harsh but smokey way to line the eyes..

Depending on how comfortable you are with going outside the norm of black and brown... you could try light blues or even a grey/silver color.  It could really make your blue eyes pop.  I love MAC fluidline. Try MAC's Blitz n Glitz, a little different than a black or brown.  Def let us know how the hunt goes and which colors you liked the best. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back