What is the best facial cleanser (and toner) for combination/oily skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
 I have combination (leaning somewhat oily) skin and I'm looking for a really good quality facial cleanser (and possibly toner.) I have visible pores in the T-zone, and I sometimes get a bit oily there, otherwise my skin is drier everywhere else on my face. I occasionally get some pimples (mostly caused by hormones/time of the month) but it's not usually a major problem for me anymore. I find that some cleansers and toners for oily skin are too harsh and drying, and can make my skin red and/or irritated. However, most products for very dry skin seem to be wrong for me too, and usually seem to be too "heavy" and can sometimes give me pimples if they have too many heavy moisturizing ingredients. I am 30 years old and female, and I am beginning to show some signs of "aging" as well ("minor" lines around my mouth mostly, and only just slightly under my eyes) but I don't have any major wrinkles yet.

Can anyone with a similar skin type (or someone with expertise in this area) recommend some really good quality products? (I don't mind if they're on the expensive side.) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

thank you very much. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For the toner, keep away from anything with alcohol. That's the drying/burning ingredient that will cause more harm than good.

I also have a sensitive skin, so i take that into account when buying my products. The less i hurt my skin, the better it feels :

I use floral water. Chamomile is my best friend, but lavender is good for its balancing properties. Rose water is also good, it's kind of a universal water because any skin will find some benefit in it.

That is my face cleanser when it's not that dirty, in the morning for example. When i wore makeup or did some activity that requires more than just floral water on a cotton pad, i use either my aleppo soap (12% laurel oil), or my oil cleanser. It's a combination of grapeseed and ricebran oil (ricebran is interesting for the antiaging part), i mix it equally with my floral water on the cotton pad to remove makeup, or i apply it directly on my face, massage it gently, then remove everything with warm water and a facecloth.

If it still exists Vichy has a 3 in 1 cleanser/makeup remover/toner in a tube that is really good. It's a bit higher priced than supermarket products, but it remains decent.

I have very similar skin to your's.  I'm also close to your age, 32 here.  I've been using Clinique's 3step system for 10+ years and I've never looked back!  My skin is goregous and I get a ton of compliments on it!  I would suggest you would be a number 2 in the 3 step system. 
The first step is the facial cleanser, then step 2 is an exfoliating toner, and step 3 is Dramtically Different Moisturizer.  It's the best!  I also use my clarisonic every other day.  I, too, have larger pores in my tzone area and get oiler there, too.  But with the combo of the 3 step system and the clarisonic, that is all disappearing on me.  I'm less oily and my pores appear smaller!  If you don't like the skin care system, you can always return it. Clinique has an awesome return policy.  They will make sure you are 100% satisfied! Give it a try, it can't hurt.

I use Clinique's 3-step too. I got my starter kit for $32.50 and I've been trying it out and I've noticed immediate results. It's awesome! Honestly, I couldn't really go wrong for $32.50, and Sephora has a great return policy as well.

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Clinique's 3-step too. I got my starter kit for $32.50 and I've been trying it out and I've noticed immediate results. It's awesome! Honestly, I couldn't really go wrong for $32.50, and Sephora has a great return policy as well.

Yes, immediate results are to follow! I couldn't remember what I paid for the 3 step, so thanks janet for putting that in there for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And I have to agree that Sephora has a great return policy, too.  I just puchase my 3step through my Clinique counter at Dillards. I got my Clarisonic from them, too!

You can use Acne Control Cleanse that was a very gentle, not drying antioxidant rich cleanser that works deep down to remove excess oil and problem causing bacteria. It also helps you to remove dead skin and remove excess skin oil.

I have combination skin and am looking for a cleanser too. I'm thinking about trying REN Mayblossom T-Zone Control Cleansing Gel...has anyone tried this? I really like the ingredients and that it does not contain green tea (my skin hates green tea). On the other hand I received Clinique 3 step samples for 4 uses (with toner number 2) but I'm really afraid to try this because right now I have 100% clear skin and I don't wanna risk it (my skin is so unpredictable when it comes to trying new products). What worries me is that Clinique toner contains menthol and my skin went crrrrrrazy with pimples the last time I tried a product with menthol.

I recommend you to go total beauty website and see their review. They have made reviews on the 20+ best toners, facial cleanser, listing out the pros and cons etc. The downside is of course you have to take time to read but as individual differs from one another, you should take your time to read and find what is suitable for you.

All the best!

Concerning the face, hotness is the greatest crux. Heat makes an air for your pores to develop. A sizzling cloth (as blazing as you can stand it) over the face is the best wager. The extent that a topical medication, you have to put resources into a great scour and an extremely fine toner. I tell individuals this constantly that I do cosmetics for. Here are some key things to recollect when searching for chemicals:

1. A great clean ought to have an exfoliant (i.e. microbeads, pumice grains, and so forth.) in it. When you have connected the sizzling cloth to your face and opened up your pores, the scour is utilized to get where it counts down into the pores and clean them out.

2. In a great clean, stay far from anything that has a ton of cleanser or scent to it. Aroma = added substances that likely will intensifies things. Your principle element when searching for a clean is salicylic harsh corrosive. Salicylic harsh corrosive goes about as an antibacterial to purge profound to split the zits and battle the microorganisms initiating them.

3. An exceptional toner ought to be discovered since once the skin is clean, the toner is utilized to tighten the scrubbed pores to minimalize the doorway of future microbes. What's more unfortunately to say it (yet get over it), A Toner Does Stink! Its made fundamentally of liquor, so it will stink! Get over it! It's worth the trouble!

4. Ultimately, and a ton of individuals don't contemplate this, gem a light moisturizer with an included sunscreen anyhow Spf 15). You need a light salve (nothing extravagant or fragrancy) with a sunscreen to avoid dryness from the toner and the sunscreen willhelp ensure from sun harm (clearly!).

Continuously recollect to get zits before they begin (before they come to be pimples)! Also for the adoration of God: Do Not Pick At A Pimple If You Get One! picking just makes more spoiling from the microbes on your hands....and generally imperatively: its just Gross! A few marks to strive for a scurb or toner might be: Oil of Olay, Biore`, Clinique, Clean & Clear, Clearasil.......just to name a couple! Wow and p.s. to fellows: simply in light of the fact that young ladies utilize it within a business Does Not imply that a gentleman can't utilize it as well! A young lady might like it a ton progressively to see a gentleman with a clean face and a bureau full of girly skin health management stuff, than Mister Zit nearby! I'm gay....trust me on this!

I'm 30 as well and like you, have combo skin and starting to show slight signs of aging. I've been using a foaming cleanser for the last couple months that I really love - it's by Racinne, which is a Canadian company that uses Korean technology (which is quite advanced), so it's amazing quality but not too expensive.  My skin feels clean and taut afterwards, but not dried out or too tight.

You can check it out here - shop.racinne.ca - I think they have a toner as well but I haven't tried it.

Good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My skin is just like yours (combination) with especially big pores and blackheads on my nose and chin/underneath my lip area. I use a series of Biotherm products.

I start by using Biosource Exfoliating Gel on my Clarisonic Mia 2. Then, I use Biosource Instant Hydration Toning Lotion (which is actually a toner and nothing like a lotion). After toner, I use Source Therapie7 which is my serum. Finally, I use Aquasource Skin Perfection as my moisturizer. It has worked wonders for my skin. Less acne (not that I had a lot to start with but now, I never break out and only get the odd small pimple here and there), less blackheads on my nose, smaller pores and no dry skin!

I really like Pai. They have a really wonderful organic line. I've been using the rice plant and rosemary toner for a couple months now with good results. I had been having really heavy fluctuations between oiliness and dryness and I found that using the Pai line (I use the cleanser and the combo-skin moisturizer, too) evened out all those shifts. My skin is still normal across the cheeks and T-zone oily, but it's a lot calmer then it had been before. There isn't any alcohol or foaming agents, so it doesn't over dry. I wanted something that would brighten my skin and help with periodic oiliness and occasional blemishes, but I didn't need a full blemish system, so this is great for me. I'd say the downsides are, no SPF =( and it's a little on the pricey side. There is a sample kit you can order though, so you can check it out without making a huge investment.

I'm using Laneige White Plus Facial Foam cleanser and I'm loving it! Been using for quite some time now :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have combination skin too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Edit - Please no links for personal blog promoting, thank you! - Cookie

I absolutely LOVE the Olay toner, I've gone through 3 or 4 bottles. It really controls oil and minimizes pores. It has a strong smell so that can be a problem for some but I think it is worth it to tolerate it. It's cheap and it works!

I have skin very similar to yours. I really like Juice Beauty's clear skin line... They make a great cleanser, serum, moisturizer, and face mask. I'm not sure if they have a toner or not. Also, anything with tea tree oil is great for oily skin, but doesn't dry you out. The Body Shop makes some good tea tree face products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by sabinebyrne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have skin very similar to yours. I really like Juice Beauty's clear skin line... They make a great cleanser, serum, moisturizer, and face mask. I'm not sure if they have a toner or not. Also, anything with tea tree oil is great for oily skin, but doesn't dry you out. The Body Shop makes some good tea tree face products. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Juice Beauty is great too! Their moisturizer was too heavy for me, but I like the peel and the antioxident serum. I don't think they have a toner either, I think the serums fill that role. My husband uses their cleanser and moisturizer and he really likes it.

Truth be told as much of a beauty addict as I am my routine is simple. Cetaphil cleanser and plain old Baby soap. No more tears. Toner ... Witch hazel. I also use Olay cleansing cloths ... They are great!

Latest posts

Back