*sigh* Another company to be wary of "Makeup Monthly"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Makeup Monthly is a $30 per month makeup, nail subscription company similar to Birchbox. The difference is that this company's is operating illegally in the State of Washington as far as I've been able to determine.

In WA state all businesses are required to have some type of license - local or state. Because they're basically a reseller they are required under state law to collect taxes and in order to do so must have a state Master License. They do not. Furthermore they do not have a city license in Federal Way where their PO Box is located at.

When I looked up their domain name info to see who registered the company the name is also set to private so no way to know who owns the company.

From what I've gathered the cosmetics they've sent out tend to be discontinued products. One video I've seen on Youtube (dated July 2011) the girl received some type of liner brush (no name on the brush), a Smashbox lipstick in Flash (which was discontinued a while back) and a foundation (which she said the packaging is different than the manufacture's site).

So buyer beware. This subscription company sells their boxes for $30 per month with a minimum of three months required. Products may or may not be discontinued/old products. The company is not licensed in the State of Washington to do business.

Ugh.... and you know these companies thrive on the feelings and thrills that makeup give women. Some females just fall for it without the knowledge or the where-with-how to check to see how legit they are.

Thanks for the heads up!!

plthumbsdown.gif
 Evil little bastards.
icon_evil.gif

Hello, 

I am the owner of MakeupMonthly and admittedly we got off to a rough start in the beginning regarding the products we were receiving from suppliers because we wanted to supply high end items at discounted prices which required us to be able to purchase at a discount.  Now as our membership has grown, our suppliers have been willing to discount their prices to us because now we can purchase in greater bulk.

I am not sure why you believe we have no Master license in Washington state.  This is untrue, as our logo states the name of the company is your Own Beauty's MakeupMonthly.com.  I file my B&O tax return every month as required by the state under our trade name Your Own Beauty. 

When I first started my company it was me and a cosmetologist operating out of my home.  When I registered my website it required a physical address, it was my home address which the site warned me I should make private because people have used the information to steal your identity.  I do not live in Federal Way so I was not required to get a business license in that city, but I am just over the city line from the post office located in Federal Way which is why I my PO box is located here.

I strive to give all my subscribers good customer service.  Which although I have an initial three month I have remained very hands on with the subscribers and have allowed the to cancel and suspend their subscriptions if needed.  Every subscriber who has been dissatisfied with what they received in their package has been made whole either by refund or replacement item.  I won't lie there were more in the beginning, now they are few and far between.

I hope anyone will give us the opportunity to show what a great company we have become and our intention to satisfy every single one of our subscribers.

Keisha Roland

Owner

Never was interested in subscriptions. If I want something, I just buy it. Why pay for something if you don't even know what you're getting? Not my thing.
laughno.gif

Look at the color of the concealer this woman received.  Yikes!!  The concealer is brown and her skin is fair.  That was one of two items she received in the makeup monthly skincare box.  The other item is a Calvin Klein body wash.  I did a quick google and I see CK body washes on clearance for $5.99.  So this woman just paid $30 for a $5.99 body wash and a brown concealer!

youtube video:

http://youtu.be/tH_IGaN3unQ

$5.99 CK body wash:

http://www.perfumania.com/shop/clearance/obsession-night-for-women-by-calvin-klein-shower-gel_153981.1.html

And this girl, starting around the 5:50 mark, says she was unhappy with her makeup monthly boxes and left messages and emails with the company repeatedly and no one responded to her. Sounds like she eventually got a refund by filing a dispute through her credit card company.  

Originally Posted by Shenese /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not sure why you believe we have no Master license in Washington state.  This is untrue, as our logo states the name of the company is your Own Beauty's MakeupMonthly.com.  I file my B&O tax return every month as required by the state under our trade name Your Own Beauty.
Hi Keisha. Thanks for clearing it up. I did find your business license with the DOL and DOR under Your Own Beauty once you posted that here. Thanks again for clearing it up.

Since you're here... Can I ask why you didn't respond to Kimberly's phone calls or emails as well as why do you send out old and discontinued products? Most people who sign up for monthly subscriptions expect new products (as is just came out or hot on the market). From her videos she complained the items sent to her were old and discontinued, the wrong color for her complexion and that she had to contact her credit card and file a dispute to stop her subscription.

30 a month for a box? NOPE.  i'd rather spend $30 a month at sephora or CVS and buy what i want.
Exactly! I'm way too picky to have random stuff show up even if it turned out to be high quality random stuff!

Wow........That is completely unacceptable!!!! Who in their right mind would pay 3x the price of birchbox/myglam for discontinued/clearance/poorly matched products and horrid customer service? Someone should report the company to BBB. Just because you have the opportunity to "run" a company, does not mean you should if you cant do it properly 
banghead.gif

Exactly! For $30 I could get 4 or 5 old/discontinued high end products at Marshall's or TJ Maxx or off Ebay.  I have no idea why I would pay $30 to get just 2 old/discontinued items, including items like concealer and foundation that don't match my skin!

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow........That is completely unacceptable!!!! Who in their right mind would pay 3x the price of birchbox/myglam for discontinued/clearance/poorly matched products and horrid customer service? Someone should report the company to BBB. Just because you have the opportunity to "run" a company, does not mean you should if you cant do it properly 
banghead.gif

Originally Posted by eliza7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look at the color of the concealer this woman received.  Yikes!!  The concealer is brown and her skin is fair.  That was one of two items she received in the makeup monthly skincare box.  The other item is a Calvin Klein body wash.  I did a quick google and I see CK body washes on clearance for $5.99.  So this woman just paid $30 for a $5.99 body wash and a brown concealer!

youtube video:

http://youtu.be/tH_IGaN3unQ
LOL! I love how this woman is all cool with getting those clearance products! I wouldn't even use that body wash, it's probably expired since 2007!

Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL! I love how this woman is all cool with getting those clearance products! I wouldn't even use that body wash, it's probably expired since 2007!
I saw that video as well and it didn't even seem as if she knew much about make up or skin care products because she misidentified the smudge brush she received. She thought that it was for applying eyeshadow and not for smudging eyeliner or shadows or as I use it to "erase" mistakes with eyeliner and mascara. (I still need to get that type of smudge brush since my last one broke a while back and I can't find an inexpensive one and I don't feel like paying $10 for one).

Sadly, this is probably the type of customer they're looking for.  I still don't get how they're able to convince even clueless customers to spend $30 a month instead of going with a $10 a month subscription program.  

elf has some inexpensive smudge brushes, if you like their brand:

http://makeup.eyeslipsface.com/search?w=smudge+brush

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw that video as well and it didn't even seem as if she knew much about make up or skin care products because she misidentified the smudge brush she received. She thought that it was for applying eyeshadow and not for smudging eyeliner or shadows or as I use it to "erase" mistakes with eyeliner and mascara. (I still need to get that type of smudge brush since my last one broke a while back and I can't find an inexpensive one and I don't feel like paying $10 for one).

Yup. $30 MONTHLY. With companies like MyGlam ($10), Birchbox ($10), TestTube (almost $40, quarterly), Julep ($19.99 + tax), Beauty Army ($12), etc the $30 MONTHLY price tag is just way too rich for my blood.

If the company is indeed sending out discontinued products versus new then I would be VERY upset and angry about it (if I were a subscriber). It's not to bash Keisha from MakeupMonthly but as a consumer I wouldn't want to spend $30 on something that seems like it was picked up at a cosmetic outlet. The concept is nice - you get a choice to pick which "club" you want to subscribe to (nails, makeup or skincare) but between the price and the discontinued products I just wouldn't recommend it to people. As I've stated with Beauty Army and MyGlam, order at your own risk.

*stupid spell check

Latest posts

Back