QOTD July 26, 2011: What Do You Think Is The BEST Invention Ever?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you think is the best invention ever?

Some people think its the wheel, others think its the light bulb.  Me?  I think it's Online Shopping ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I have to say, I came across this quote a while back and it challenges me still:

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~ Elizabeth West

I'm gona be old school and say toaster, I can't live without my bread being toasted every morning.

Then we'd all be sitting in the dark because lightbulbs came after the bicycle. 

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to say, I came across this quote a while back and it challenges me still:

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~ Elizabeth West

I think the point was that the bicycle doesnt hinder or use up or destroy natural resources and it actually benefits man kind, whereas the lightbulb uses energy and blah blah blah blah... doesnt do anything for the human spirit/body.

but see, that's what I mean - the bicycle one challenges all the other inventions.  It keeps me stumped.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then we'd all be sitting in the dark because lightbulbs came after the bicycle. 

Yeah, I got the quote.  She was doing this self-sustained life thing and writing about it.  It is to say tho that man was taking all they can out of Mother Earth centuries before bicycles.  It has only been recent that people have gained awareness of how we are destroying the Earth.  Even how the rubber was harvested to make the tires and the metal dug out of the earth to make the bicycles at that time was destructive.

Talking about fashion, I would probably say that the best invention would be the heels. I love them so much and it makes me feel confident and walk taller when I am on them.

But in a more serious note, I guess the best invention would be recyclable bags or those canvas bags you can reuse for shopping.  I mean, we have used too much plastic and paper bags that we have to look for alternatives in our bid to salvage our planet which is in need of change.

Canvas bags actually came along before those flimsy plastic grocery bags but it is good to return to the basics.  I actually bought a grocery bag with wheels at the bottom.  It'll be great when I go buy product because vegetables get so heavy and the produce store that I go to is located in a mall and they don't have grocery carts to wheel out to your car.  I can't wait to try them out.  Someone there had brought mesh lingerie bags to hold small vegies like tomatoes, beans and onions etc. instead of using those small plastic bags that come in rolls at the produce area.   You can get them at the dollar stores for $1.  

Originally Posted by pmartin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Talking about fashion, I would probably say that the best invention would be the heels. I love them so much and it makes me feel confident and walk taller when I am on them.

But in a more serious note, I guess the best invention would be recyclable bags or those canvas bags you can reuse for shopping.  I mean, we have used too much plastic and paper bags that we have to look for alternatives in our bid to salvage our planet which is in need of change.

Hi there folks! Do you consider great inventions to be gateways through which our lives can be made better? Here's a future forecast of inventions that can alter the globe, thanks to The Futurist magazine. While none of this is supposed to be guaranteed, the potential to save money, time and ultimately life makes them something to be valued.

Back