Best foundation for covering up large pores? :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies!

So I've recently run into a huuuge problem for me ;(

For years I've been using the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse as my go-to foundation, because I *thought* it does a really good job. I guess it was okay, but not superb. It would melt in my face and settle around my pores... once I noticed this, I decided to switch to MMU because I read so many good things about it.

I've been using the Everday Minerals Intense Base foundation for a few months now, and just yesterday realized how much I AGAIN lied to myself. I WANTED to love it, I WANTED it to work.. but... again, it doesn't do the job as I need it to be done. The foundation settles around my pores and highlights them. I noticed this when I took a picture of myself... I could see my huge pores although I applied a primer, foundation and powder.

I finally have enough, and I am willing to cash out for a good foundation.

I have oily (not uber oily, but still) skin, some acne scars, redness and very large pores on my cheeks. They're not huge pits, but they're definitely big.

Can you please let me know you thoughts on a good foundation?

I was considering:

- Smashbox (as I really like their Photofinish primer)

- Benefit "Some kind of Gorgeous"

- MUFE

- Clinique (not the acne foundation; I read horror stories on that one)

- Dior... maybe

- MAC (never had anything MAC before)

I need something that doesn't cake and is lightweight... more or less. Price *almost* doesn't matter, I am willing to spend $40, or maybe even $50.

I am planning to go to Sephora and ask there but the problem is that theu are professionals, and know how to apply everything spot on.. so I'm scared they recommend me something, apply it to my face, I buy it.. come home... and it doesn't work for everyday use.

Please let me know your thoughts!

I use the Laura Mercier silk creme foundation. A little goes a long way with that stuff and it ends up looking great. It's $42. I liked MAC Studio Fix until it made me break out, but as far as coverage is concerned, it's great. It works for some people, just not for me, and it's $26.50 (i think?). I'm sure people on this forum will suggest less expensive stuff, but for me buying Laura Mercier was worth never having to deal with the hassle of a foundation search again. I found it to be pretty lightweight and it didn't cake at all. I also use the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer beforehand.

I have the oiliest skin imaginable, large pores and previous severe acne, and tried MUFE HD (didnt like the coverage and broke me out), MAC Select Foundation (good), Clinique (great for sensitive skin, but need more coverage)...and Revlon Colorstay, and I like Revlon Colorstay the best because it covers up all my scars and has great lasting power..makes my skin look flawless...a little too flawless I might add lol.  Covers up a face full of freckles..

I'm going to hit up Sephora and Ulta today to look around, thank you for suggesting LM! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> By now, honestly, I don't even care how much I pay. I just want a good end result!!

Sue, Revlon ColorStay? Really?? :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I gotta check this out. I wonder if they have a shade suited for me, I'm very very fair (even in summer) and always have to use almost white foundation in order to not get that "mask" effect! Hearing about MUFE is a bummer, I thought people love that stuff. I guess it's not for everyone!

I was also thinking about Urban Decay... mmhhhh. Gosh, I hope I can find something that works for me:(

You need to work on the pores first before worrying about foundation. Basically you need to either have a professional facial done or do one at home. By washing your face properly then applying a facial mask then "close" the pores with a toner that will held reduce the appearance of (but will not permanent reduce the size) then your foundation will go on better. A facial once a week should help.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to work on the pores first before worrying about foundation. Basically you need to either have a professional facial done or do one at home. By washing your face properly then applying a facial mask then "close" the pores with a toner that will held reduce the appearance of (but will not permanent reduce the size) then your foundation will go on better. A facial once a week should help.

I already do all these things. I've had severe acne from ca age 11 to age 17. I would love to get a professional treatment done, but  I don't trust beauty salons that offer this as it can be dangerous if done wrong, and an appointment at a clinic can go into the range for $1000+... I supported myself for several years now, and there's not much money left at the end of the month ;(

What I'm trying to say is that I am aware of how to take care of my skin, I've done it for several years. It's just that by now I know that I will never have a flawless face, no matter how much I clean and tone it. It can look decent, but never perfect. I was just looking for advice on a better foundation.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you thought about trying mineral makeup?

I used MMU for a few months now (I do know how to use it... I didn't over apply it or anything) but it highlights my pores even more as it settles around them. I read a lot of people had the same problem. MMU is great, but not for me.

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used MMU for a few months now (I do know how to use it... I didn't over apply it or anything) but it highlights my pores even more as it settles around them. I read a lot of people had the same problem. MMU is great, but not for me.
Yeah, I've heard that tends to happen to some people. I have really oily skin, so that was unfortunately the case for me too. Good luck on your search! A lot of people on this forum rave about Revlon Colorstay, so it's definitely worth a try. I'm just a slacker and I don't like returning stuff, so it's easier for me to try something out at Sephora than it is for me to try to color-match myself at a drugstore. One of my friends happened to rave about Laura Mercier, so I went and tried it and it's seriously the best one I've ever tried
icon_cheesygrin.gif

hmm... what about an HD powder as a base over your primer?

I already do all these things. I've had severe acne from ca age 11 to age 17. I would love to get a professional treatment done, but  I don't trust beauty salons that offer this as it can be dangerous if done wrong, and an appointment at a clinic can go into the range for $1000+... I supported myself for several years now, and there's not much money left at the end of the month ;(

What I'm trying to say is that I am aware of how to take care of my skin, I've done it for several years. It's just that by now I know that I will never have a flawless face, no matter how much I clean and tone it. It can look decent, but never perfect. I was just looking for advice on a better foundation.
People that have never had severe acne don't really understand what we go through...it's rarely a case of not cleaning "properly" or not using the proper things, it's all about internal mechanisms in our body.   For most girls, it's hormonal/genetic, and I was on the birth control pill for 4 years since I was 17, and I had perfect skin while I was on it, however it was causing other problems so I had to go off it.  Now the acne has returned, huge cysts, and I'm on acne antibiotics which do help to kill the bacteria, but I still have breakouts.  I don't think it's worth it to get a facial especially if you're on a tight budget.  A facial cleans the "external", if you ever want your face to be perfect, you have to control the internal...which is much harder..........anywho....

Revlon Colorstay is definitely worth a shot.  A lot of people on the Acne.org message boards also use it, it's quite popular......Mineral make-up does have a tendency to have a "glowy" effect....while it is better for the skin, it just depends on what you're looking for in the finish and application.  I did use the Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation Powder for a year when I was younger...I thought it was amazing, never broke me out, however the color selection is limited, literally only 7 shades to choose from and it is not a matte finish.  Also just to add, don't think it's worth the $35.  You could probably find similar results with Bare Escentuals...I just don't like using powders for foundations anymore...I need more..

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People that have never had severe acne don't really understand what we go through...it's rarely a case of not cleaning "properly" or not using the proper things,
And what makes you think that I don't understand where she's coming from? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have large pores on the sides of my nose and the best thing I found to reduce the appearance is to properly care for my skin including doing a facial with a mask at least once a week to draw out the oils and to help tighten up my pores. Unfortunately, as I stated above, nothing will ever permanently reduce the pore size.

And what makes you think that I don't understand where she's coming from?

lol...I did not even read your post, I was referring to what she was saying in her post about severe acne and cleaning your face to a certain extent.  
y.gif
=

"What I'm trying to say is that I am aware of how to take care of my skin, I've done it for several years. It's just that by now I know that I will never have a flawless face, no matter how much I clean and tone it. It can look decent, but never perfect. I was just looking for advice on a better foundation."

I just sympathize and understand her frustration...I'm in the same place..er..

Just going to say I dont think UD has anything that will be good for this kind of skin concern. I have GINORMOUS pores on my nose and no urban product really caters to that

And what makes you think that I don't understand where she's coming from? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have large pores on the sides of my nose and the best thing I found to reduce the appearance is to properly care for my skin including doing a facial with a mask at least once a week to draw out the oils and to help tighten up my pores. Unfortunately, as I stated above, nothing will ever permanently reduce the pore size.
for me even when i know my pores are completely clean and cleared out and toned, they are STILL huge. So cleansing is def not the answer or the cure for me. Masks hardly even touch my pore size. At best it was Mario Badescu's silver powder that has worked for me... but even that's hit and miss. Some days it works pretty good , other days there's no difference. Mine's genetic, both parents, large pores. Clean all i want, they barely even tighten.

I have the same problem. ACNE + giant pores when i dont wear makeup.

here is everyday routine:

- exfoliate t-zone with anything that has salicylic acid

- toner with alpha hydroxic acid and alcohol - to minimize the look of pores

- moisturizer - kiss my face - 8% alpha hydroxic acid

- use a primer: either one of these lancome la base pro (3.9/5 on makeupalley), Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Base (3.8/5 on makeupalley)

- dewy foundation or tinted moisturizer - something moisturizing - because my oily skin gets even oilier when i use powder!!!

- after foundation  i use Clinique Pore Minimizer Instand Perfector - $18 - i believe.. it's very good - and you need just a little bit on your t-zone! it reduces pore size, redness, oiliness.

you can also wear it before foundation or alone.. it's slightly tinted.

A water-based, oil-free foundation works best for hiding enlarged pores because the subtle finish they impart reduces the appearance of pores. But remember – you should apply just a small amount of the foundation if you have enlarged pores, otherwise you can make them look even larger and more visible. Apply it with a makeup sponge or with your fingertips for more precise application.

I have large pores on my cheeks and benefit porefessional makes them almost disappear! I was honestly surprised :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (I must have said this several times on this forum lol but I really was surprised). Can I post a link here to a blog with good pics of the effect here? It's not my blog, I found the photos through google and the photos demonstrate the effect very well.

Honestly, I think a primer would be your best bet, as opposed to looking for a new foundation. Clarins Instant Smooth perfecting base, as well as Dr. Brandt's Pores No More pore refiner (which I think is more effective than both the Clinique & Benefit versions, but it's all very YMMV), are the best I've found. If you're looking for medium-buildable coverage, I'd skip the Benefit. MUFE Mat Velvet+ might be an option, but it's a rather dry feeling foundation. Depending on what your skin is like in Winter, it might not be an all-year foundation. The Smashbox HD might also be an option.

I bought Benefit´s POREfessional primer after seeing Enkore´s demo on youtube. I think if you see what it does on his acne-scarred skin & large pores (which a lot of ex acne-sufferers are left with even after their skin clears up) you can assume that it works equally well for most people.

I have large pores and a few small icepick acne scars on my skin, and if I want a truly flawless look I use this under my foundation. It doesn´t mattify btw (but it´s not supposed to), it just fills up the pores & indentations to create a smooth surface.

In terms of foundations, I found that a truly long-lasting foundation looks best on me. Since my skin is so oily, 90% of liquid foundations disappear on my skin throughout the day, especially in the areas where I´m oiliest & have the large pores. So no matter how lovely a foundation looks good at first (and a lot of them that have that dewey look to them make pores look less noticeable), it´s no good if it doesn´t last all day. I love Estee Lauder Doublewear & Shiseido SPF 42 foundations because they are so long-lasting. Revlon Colorstay gets great reviews also, and it´s also a lot more affordable!

Latest posts

Back