QC Makeup Academy???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been wanting to take a makeup artistry course but the only problem is I live in an area where there are no schools close by so I was considering a distance education program. I've found one called QC Makeup Academy.  I was wondering if anyone has heard of or taken this course and could let me know what they think plz and thank you!

I have heard of accredited ones where youre required to take pictures of your work or video yourself doing certain things, but I want facts before I get into that. Especially because there are no specialized makeup courses in the state of georgia.

not yet. i was wary about giving out my address if i didnt know anything about them.

I requested some info. Apparently, students under this school get a 20% discount with OCC, as well as other pro brands.

Hi ladies,

I actually recently enrolled at QC (I got an email promo and signed up before the date that it said and they even included a free bonus book)! I don't know if you saw, but I had posted some questions about the school in the past and was hoping to get some feedback as to how people were enjoying the course. I've signed up for the Master Makeup Artistry course and my course materials are awesome! I took some pictures of my materials for you... I am thoroughly impressed so far.

I've even been assigned my personal tutor... and she sounds really great. I'd be more than happy to keep you all updated on how I'm liking the course. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I decided to go with QC because they're registered with the BBB and have a great rating, have an awesome student support center, and an active Facebook page. Apparently they've been around for a long time and recently started offering makeup courses... so I really trusted the school since they have such a good history.

Hope I answer your questions and help you out a little :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Cindy S.

Will do! I don't get on here all that often, but I'll for sure keep you up to date when I get around to posting.... hopefully I can get some more posts out there soon, I'd love to be more active on here! I got a discount for paying all at once , so my total ran me around $1550 or so and included the makeup... I'll let you know if I can find out more about the starter kits :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I personally have not taken any long distance courses from QC Makeup Academy or any other school. They may be great, I can't say for sure. I can tell you that there are A LOT of great books out there and videos that you can get a hold of for free or very inexpensive. The thing about make up is that the only thing that is going to help you get better at it is practice. My suggestion would be invest in some great books to read about all the different techniques and then have your friends comeover and practice. Take pictures each time so that you can compare and start to see your progess. You can also buy great starter kits on line for around $600, camerareadycosmetcs.com has great ones. After you get comfortable have a photographer do a portfolio party with you. It will help you get quality pictures. Most makeup lines just ask you to submit shots of your work and a business card saying you are a makeup artist to get a discount on there line.

All that being said, the distance course may be worth it BUT you can also do it on your own if you have a tight budget.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

I was wondering if at the end of your course, do u get a certificate that u can use to get jobs?

Originally Posted by Be Radiant 26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally have not taken any long distance courses from QC Makeup Academy or any other school. They may be great, I can't say for sure. I can tell you that there are A LOT of great books out there and videos that you can get a hold of for free or very inexpensive. The thing about make up is that the only thing that is going to help you get better at it is practice. My suggestion would be invest in some great books to read about all the different techniques and then have your friends comeover and practice. Take pictures each time so that you can compare and start to see your progess. You can also buy great starter kits on line for around $600, camerareadycosmetcs.com has great ones. After you get comfortable have a photographer do a portfolio party with you. It will help you get quality pictures. Most makeup lines just ask you to submit shots of your work and a business card saying you are a makeup artist to get a discount on there line.

All that being said, the distance course may be worth it BUT you can also do it on your own if you have a tight budget.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

I agree that there are alot of videos and books out there and that you don't have to go to makeup school in order to become a makeup artist.  I know that it certainly doesn't hurt to be licensed!  Is the QC school accredited?  That would be my big thing.  If it's not accredited, I wouldn't give them my time or money.  I have a couple of local schools, but I think I would rather do it online at my own pace and schedule.  But that's just me.  When I went to college, I did it online and took night courses after work, and I prefered the online courses where I could do it at my own pace, but I did get a better grade going to class vs online.  Online I got a B+ and in class I got A's.  So, I think I can handle online classes.

I think in some states you have to have a license though.  I think I read that in another post somewhere

Yes! Definitely look into what type of credit or license you must have for your state. Each one is different!

Hey!

Bonnie, yes it was $1550 including the course. Everything was included that price (my books, the makeup kit, a starter brush set, etc) so it was not as hard on my budget as some other courses that I looked into. Now I have extra money left over so I can amp up my kit some more.... I'm a little too addicted to eyeshadow, so I'm glad to have that extra $! lol

Yes, you can totally get a job after with their diploma... I've looked into a lot of different companies and job opportunities, and they all say that they require "demonstrated skill", or a combination of skill and proof that you've had training. Obviously that's gonna change based on what company you're looking for, but I am looking to go into freelance so I'm all set. I'll have to get a business license if I want to register as a business, which isn't a problem.... I've never heard of a school that can give out a business license anyways.

I spend part of my year in Canada, and another in Florida... it's not mandatory to be "licensed" as a makeup artist since it's totally different from cosmetology or being an esthetician. I don't know about all states or regions, but as far as I know - there aren't too many licensed makeup artists. That's from the research that I did, at least.

my school is an international school, so it doesn't have region specific accreditation.. they are really well known, have a relationship with the bbb, and are a member with PBA, and have relationships with cosmetic brands (someone mentioned that one is occ, which is totally true.. I can't wait to place my order!). I am totally comfortable training from a school that's established so many different relationships, and has good student testimonials. I feel like I am learning a lot, and the DVDs are helpful (and I get to keep them for life), so I'd recommend the course (i'm in Master Makeup). Obviously which school you choose to attend is a personal choice... but if you were looking @ QC Makeup, it's got my vote. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back