I need help with my skintone/undertones (pics included)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it seems I am pretty confused about what undertone I have and what colours I should prefer.

Here are photos of me without any make up just some eyeshadow .

So please answer if you know

1. What is my undertone? cool/warm ?? (I have both green and blue vaining on my wrist)

2. What number should I choose from MAC? (e.g. NW25, NC30)

3. Any other suggestion will be welcome.

(I get tan easily, I am tanned here, in wintertime I am way more white)

As far as undertone's go I would catergorize you as neutral, because you have both yellow and pink undertones.  You are more pink around your nose, forehead and chin and have more yellow around you jawline and cheeks.  I don't know anything about MAC Foundations, so I'm afraid I couldn't help you there, but I would recommend the yellow undertoned foundations.  It will help neutralize the pink/red in your T-zone and is the undertone covering the largest surface area of your face.  Hope this helps!

Hey thanks for your help!

I hope someone will make a MAC suggestion
icon_smile.gif

I agree with Jean aswell. MAC warm is going to have more yellow tones so it will help neutralize areas where you are a little pink. Although, if you find it to be to yellow you can always custom mix your foundation. After applying NW 25 to your face starting in the center and spreading it outward, go back with your brush and add a little of the NC 30. It is hard to suggest an exact color only seeing a picture but it is common for people to not find there exact color in foundation. My foundation is a little more yellow then my skin tone so I set it with a powder the has cool tones to make it match. I hope this helps!

Hmm thanks girls, in fact I never wear anything yellow, no blouses, no dresses no eyeshadow nada yellow or orange. I prefer pinks, purples, I wear green (and I love it!) and in general cool tones. And some browns and black of course.

I think yellow washes me out. Or makes me look really yellow which is not a good thing. 

I will try a yellow toned foundation though. I was hoping to find something neutral in MAC series but they all seem to have this NC or NW. 

For MAC I think is the oposite NC is yellowtoned no?

From what I can figure out I will get my foundation in NC and my powder in NW, no?

I have pink undertones and I called MAC on the phone and talked to them about what category I'd fall in, be it NC or NW.  They told me that if I wanted to cancel out the pinkness to wear NW, and if I want to keep the pinkness to use NC.  In Clinique, I wear a Neutral.  So I bought both NC and NW to see what I liked best.  I still haven't tried them and I think I got too dark of color, but will have to wait and see.  Hopefully it will work out just fine.  I do have the liquid tints, one happens to be white and one black and then the primary colors.  So I can play with and change up the foundation if I don't like it.  If I don't wanna mess with all of that, then I will just exchange them.  Keep your fingers crossed that I got the right colors, I hate messing with exchanges. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Its a bummer when lines of foundation only do COOL and WARM.

As stated above LA Minerals has a wide range of colors with a 3 different coverage formulations. My mom kept saying she thought i was a WARM tone. In most liquids i've bought beige shades. Like Revlon, I picked a beige color. And L'Oreal I chose their neutral selection. I honestly felt i was neutral becuase I don't have any real distinct undertones, maybe golden these days since I found my puerto rican gene. But i wear any color eyeshadow well. Same with clothes. I did know for sure that i was not a cool tone.

LA Minerals has Cool, Warm, Neutral and Beige to choose from in Fairest, Fair, Medium, Med/Dark, Dark and Deep.

So i bought loads of samples. And it was a toss up between Medium Warm and Medium Neutral. Found out the Beige colors have a bit too much ... rose tint? it's more like, not too orange but Terracotta tint. I finally went with Warm though Neutral would fit if i was in the sun a bit more, it's slightly more bronzed type of tinting on my skin.

Anywho..... I know you are looking for a MAC color, but there's sooooo many other brands that have a bigger spectrum. I would def experiment with other companies if you end up not finding what you need form MAC.

A very basic way of deciding what your underlying pigment is 

1. Turn your wrist over, do the veins look more blue or more green? If the answer is blue you are more cool toned, if the answer is green warm toned.

2. What shines more against your skin silver jewelry or gold jewelry, one typically will look more dull. Silver=cool toned Gold=warm toned

3.Which color looks better on you, white or eggshell? White=cool toned Eggshell=warm toned

Cool Toned

• Your skin burns easily
  • You have rosy cheeks
  • Your skin is ruddy, pale, freckled, ebony
  • Dark brown, olive, medium or pale with pink undertones
  • Your simply pale with no recognizeable undertone
  • Olive complexion (this would include many of Asian or Hispanic descent)
  • Dark brown hue
  • Have cool bluish or reddish undertones beneath your eyes
  • Pale skin that almost appears as if it were softly translucent
  • Medium-pale or pale skin with a pinkish hue around your cheeks
Warm Toned
  • Your skin tans easily with a golden glow
  • Pale peach flesh-tones
  • Brown with faint undertones of pink or gold
  • Warm golden and yellow undertones
  • Skin with lots of freckles or rosy flush
  • Medium to dark brown with an orange or gold undertone
  • Pale with peach or gold undertones
  • Light brown with gold undertones

see now i have a hard time putting olive skin tones under cool. I am hispanic but not a cool tone. I tend to think of olive as being kind of golden... therefore warm. Maybe im wrong but i do know cool shades look ashy on me.

I have purple viens but Gold looks best on me....
icon_scratch.gif

I know i look kinda pinkish in the pics but in fact I really believe I am neutral. Or that I have both pink and yellow undertones. It is so complicated I have read a ton of articles. 

As I mentioned before there are both blue AND green veining on my wrist. I prefer black, white, pink, purple colours for my clothes.

My hair is dyed red now and everyone compliments me. I have them red for over a year, in those pics it is really faded. My hair is now deep red/burgundy. Everyone says it is the best colour I ever had.

Well now for MAC, I have no choice other from MAC. My other choices are Department brands (Dior, Lancome,Clinique, estee lauder, clarins, shiseido) or dragstore brands (maybelline, seventeen, loreal, max factor, toyoko, deborah, art deco) I dont recogize the brands you mentioned, I live in Europe.  

One other choice I have is Bobbi Brown, I never tried anything from BB, but I ve heard all the foundations run on the yellow tone, so I'd like to avoid it.

I ask here some opinions because I will go to a MAC store where the MUA there are not very helpful.

Originally Posted by Ash Mathews /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A very basic way of deciding what your underlying pigment is 

1. Turn your wrist over, do the veins look more blue or more green? If the answer is blue you are more cool toned, if the answer is green warm toned.

2. What shines more against your skin silver jewelry or gold jewelry, one typically will look more dull. Silver=cool toned Gold=warm toned

3.Which color looks better on you, white or eggshell? White=cool toned Eggshell=warm toned

Cool Toned

• Your skin burns easily
  • You have rosy cheeks
  • Your skin is ruddy, pale, freckled, ebony
  • Dark brown, olive, medium or pale with pink undertones
  • Your simply pale with no recognizeable undertone
  • Olive complexion (this would include many of Asian or Hispanic descent)
  • Dark brown hue
  • Have cool bluish or reddish undertones beneath your eyes
  • Pale skin that almost appears as if it were softly translucent
  • Medium-pale or pale skin with a pinkish hue around your cheeks
Warm Toned
  • Your skin tans easily with a golden glow
  • Pale peach flesh-tones
  • Brown with faint undertones of pink or gold
  • Warm golden and yellow undertones
  • Skin with lots of freckles or rosy flush
  • Medium to dark brown with an orange or gold undertone
  • Pale with peach or gold undertones
  • Light brown with gold undertones

After reading this, I would definitely say that I am cool.  Guess that's why I wear cool in Revlon Color Stay and neutral in Clinique. 

I don't live anywhere near a MAC counter, but through all the reviews and such that I read, it sounds like the MUA don't do a whole heck of a lot in being friendly or helpful!  I find that the CSR for MAC are very helpful and are very kind.  They don't try to rush you, even though they are busy.  They are there to answer every last question you may have! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  When I ordered a foundation online, I immediately doubted myself and called the CSR's and they suggested what other color to purchase and they got it sent out to me for free!  You would think that I would have tried these so far, but haven't.  Maybe I'll make a point to use it this week. 

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

see now i have a hard time putting olive skin tones under cool. I am hispanic but not a cool tone. I tend to think of olive as being kind of golden... therefore warm. Maybe im wrong but i do know cool shades look ashy on me.
yeah wtf  olvie skin tone is cool??  uhhh no that's so not right.  that's why there are always jokes about asians and yellow skin

If you are tanned in these photos, my guess is that you are warm during the winter and cool during the Summer months. If you are looking for a foundation and/or concealer right now, I would go with a cool (or NC). If you intend to maintain this shade, definitely go with the NC. I would only recommend purchasing a foundation and/or concealer in warm (or NW) in the months are not as tan as usual.

You're a mixture. You have warm, cool, olive and hyperpimentation. I had countless people come to me when I worked at Sephora telling me they got swatched at MAC or wherever and walked out thinking it was all fine. Then they actually applied it aaaand...yeah.

When you're a mixture (I personally can get away with warm or cool foundations) your best bet is to make a mixture. I use the palest pinky foundation I could find and mix it with a couple drops of a warmer yellowy and finish with a neutral powder. But that's just me!
patches.gif

Back