Colors and styles that suit us: How much does this have to do with actual science (our natural coloring and body lines) and how much does it have to d

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just on the "Beauticontrol" website and I happened to notice that they have a fun online online quiz for figuring out your color season and style type. Now, I've had real online PCA's done by actual professionals so I know that I'm a Warm Autumn with some Deep Autumn characteristics (Warm Autumn leaning Deep Autumn.) But I decided to do this quiz just for fun, and to see what it was like. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> In the color analysis quiz, my result was Winter because I have light skin, dark hair and dark eyebrows, deep brown eyes and skin that burns and freckles easily. (Although I believe that is often a Warm season characteristic, not a Winter one?) I was not overly surprised, almost all online quizzes tell me I'm a Winter or a Deep Season based on the way I look. However, I was still a little disappointed with the result. For years I wore colors like white, black, true red, candy pink and deep fuchsia. I never really received very many compliments in those colors. People told me that I looked "washed out" in white (I also noticed at some point that white emphasizes dark circles under my eyes), that I look much older in black (and again, that it washes me out) and pink...is just really bad. Years ago I posted a picture of myself on www.hotornot.com wearing a deep red top and candy pink cat ears. I thought I looked sexy and cute. Most people rated me 5 or lower dressed like that. My feelings were so hurt! Recently, (since I've had my PCA's done online) I finally decided to post another picture of myself on there as an experiment. This time, I am wearing a pumpkin colored sweater and jeans. Not particularly sexy in my opinion, I never would have dreamed of posting a picture like that instead of my cat-ears picture in the past. It immediately received ratings of almost 10 the minute I put it up, and now it's down to 8.5 after almost 1200 ratings but that's still incredibly high compared to my other picture!!

But I digress. The point is: I'm not a Winter, I'm an Autumn. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But...back to the Beauticontrol website: their color quiz didn't work that well for me, but I found their style quiz much more interesting. I completed that one too and my result is "Natural Chic" which is so much more spot on than my result on the other quiz! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Mind you, the questions are a little arbitrary and are based purely on what you like as opposed to body lines and face shape. So..some people may criticize that as imperfect too. However, I personally liked the style quiz a lot more than the color one since it seemed to pinpoint me so well! I also received makeup recommendations based on my style result, and because it is "Natural Chic" most of the recommendations (or many of them anyway) fit with my color season really well. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So I was really happy about that.

But taking these quizzes made me wonder: how much is PCA (and style recommendations) based around actual science, and how much is just based on our personalities and the "energy" we project? I have done a good amount of reading and research on color analysis and a bit on style recommendations and body lines too and it seems to me that there is some actual science behind it. As I said, I've been told that I don't look well when I wear white, that I look older in black and I just get plain insulted if I wear pink. That really seems to be linked to natural coloring and color relationships. However, the fact that I got a lot of my season's colors of the style test but not the color test on this website really makes me wonder how much of a role personality type actually plays in this too! I understand that these are just fun quizzes on a website and they are not very in depth and therefore there is margin for error I definitely don't take my results on there as gospel truth. (As I've repeated already, I'm certainly not a Winter! Unless maybe there is actually such a thing as a low contrast Winter and I only suit warmer colors because they create less contrast with my natural coloring.)  However, I know there are many people who swear they don't believe in PCA. My mom is an artist and she says she doesn't believe that I can't wear purely cool colors. I know there are lots of other people who think that PCA is a "fad" as well, that it doesn't work, that there is no real science behind it, and that it is just another part of marketing in the fashion industry. There are many good arguments against that but I won't get into those here. I know there is a school of thought though that says that anyone can wear any color as long as they feel confident in it. OR, that anyone can wear any color as long as they have the personality type to pull it off. Sometimes I think there may be some truth in these statements, although I also think there may be science behind PCA as well. The same statements could also be applied to clothing, makeup and hair styles. So..I scored "Natural Chic" on my personality test. Autumn is largely a "natural" season. So..there may be some validity behind the argument that I come across better in Autumn palette colors than Winter palette ones because they suit the whole way that I am and the natural energy I project. Winter colors obviously come across as weird on me because I don't have the personality type to pull them off. My boss in my last job actually put forth this theory to me, and I rejected it at the time, but now I'm wondering if there's a good amount of truth in it? How much does my color season have to do with actual science and how much is based on my personality? After all, colors all have strong psychological connotations..maybe our color seasons are based a lot more on psychology than on our physical appearance? I suppose that's still a scientific basis since psychology is science..but not a physical basis so much.

What do all of you think?

I took a season test myself, i can't remember where, it was one of my first results in a google search.

I'm a Deep Winter. It seems to match me pretty well, when i saw the colors they indicated it was like they had peeked in my closet because i found in the list all the colors i own.

It was a pretty much exact match for me, but nothing i hadn't discovered through experience.

I had other tests in the past, that were not as thorough as this one, and i was ranging in summer or autumn, both of which only partially satisfied me. I don't believe in them being exact science, but they can help.

I'm a dark/deep autumn. But honestly I wear anything I like if it looks good. These tests, in my opinion are limiting.

Back