Urban Decay's Book of Shadows Vol. 4

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Another Urban Decay palette?! I don't even own the 15th Anniversary one yet!" I stated that to myself last night when I read over on Temptalia that there's yet another UD palette coming out.

Image from Temptalia.com.

The latest palette is the Book of Shadows Vol. 4 which is set to launch on August 20th at a New York City Sephora. The cost for this bad girl? $64.00! Ouch! It's priced higher than the 15th Anniversary palette by $9 but you get lots of little goodies with it such as:

• 10 brand-new, exclusive to this collection shadows
  • Full sized 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion (blackest black)
  • Travel size Supercurl Curling Mascara
  • Travel size Eyeshadow Primer Potion
  • A mirror
  • Portable speaker
  • USB cord
  • Audio cable
  • ‘Get the Look’ QR card.

The eyeliner alone retails for $18. The travel size primer retails for $9 while the full size retails for $18 ("vintage" bottle, the tubes are $19). I don't think they retail the travel size mascara but the full size one is like $20 so the retail of mini would probably be $10. So if you discount the cost for all the eyeliner, mascara and primer the shadows are only $27 which is a fantastic price. (Yes, I'm trying to justify the price in my head as an excuse to order it. lol)

Now I know Temptalia.com states on her page that there are 10 brand new colors but I counted 11.

1. Blue Bus
  2. Cobra
  3. Bender
  4. Gravity
  5. Lost
  6. Hijack
  7. Crystal
  8. Bust
  9. Missionary
  10. Skimp
  11. Zephyr

What's the one color I'm mistaking for new? Oh, it's Skimp that's not a new shadow. I don't own this and it's no longer sold at UrbanDecay.com, Sephora.com or Ulta.com. Since I'm still newish (less than a year old) customer to Urban Decay I've never seen it until now. So those of you, like me, who are newer customers to UD this will be a new color to you too unless you're lucky enough to either found Skimp online or through a previous palette.

It's a gorgeous palette that's making me look under sofa cushions to scrape up money to get it but between that and the 15th Anniversary palette I'm seriously going to put a dent in my beauty budget for the new couple of months! Hmm... maybe I can justify buying this as a couple of birthday presents to myself then? LOL

Here's a look at the 15th Anniversary to compare colors. Image is also from Temptalia's site since I don't own this bad girl either. This retails for $55.

The 15 new shadows in this palette are:

1. Midnight Rodeo
  2. Tainted
  3. Deeper
  4. Midnight 15
  5. Junkshow
  6. MIA
  7. Vanilla
  8. Omen
  9. Ace
  10. Flow
  11. Evidence
  12. Blackout
  13. Chase
  14. Deep End
  15. Half Truth

If I did my math right the two palettes are $119 for the two and you're getting 25 new shades that are exclusive to the two palettes plus all the other goodies that comes with BoS4. Oh the temptation! The temptation! The little devil that sits on my right shoulder keeps whispering, "get it! GET IT!" while the little angel on my left says, "save your money!" I think the little devil might win this battle. lol

Another palette?!
icon_eek.gif

I love UD and I have been super happy with their products.
thumbsup2.gif

I can tell you, while I love the quality and consistency of their products, I am not going to dish out $69.00.  Why? I don't need the "other" stuff.  While the other stuff probably is a small fraction of what the entire palette would cost me, I would rather UD eliminate all the small stuff and just focus on the makeup.  And really, ANOTHER primer?  I have 3 of them already! Give me $10.00 off the palette price and take back your primer. Ugh.

I have the 15th Anniversary palette and I love, love, love it.  The case, the colors, everything about this palette screams luxury and quality and to me, it was worth the extra $$.... but not the BoS 4.  It's probably a cardboard palette box too?
icon_confused.gif

I just cant justify the price in my head. *sigh*  Shame, cause if I know UD, these colors will rock.
icon_neutral.gif

Cobra is not a new color to Urban Decay, since Cobra is in the black palette. I'm glad this book of shadows didn't include perversion as an eyeshadow since the last few did, or as I recall, all of the previous ones did. Cobra is a black eyeshadow with a gold shift, so it's pretty nice & I wouldn't mind to have another :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think $64 is expensive, but I'm trying to justify it as well by telling myself the eyeliner is originally $18, & I don't need the others so I'm not going to count them in the price. Regardless, it's only about less than $3 per eyeshadow, which is still a steal, even though it's NOT full sized like the 15th Anniversary Palette or the Naked Palette. I just hope I'm going to use this if I buy it though, because I found myself selling my Alice in Wonderland and Book of Shadows Vol. 1 because I never touched it, it was just for the sake of having it. lol.

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another palette?!
icon_eek.gif
LMAO Glad to know I'm not the only one! LOL

Originally Posted by xlisaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cobra is not a new color to Urban Decay, since Cobra is in the black palette. I'm glad this book of shadows didn't include perversion as an eyeshadow since the last few did, or as I recall, all of the previous ones did. Cobra is a black eyeshadow with a gold shift, so it's pretty nice & I wouldn't mind to have another :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Is it? Then once you take Cobra and Skimp then there's only nine new colors not 10 like Temptalia stated.

Strike that... I figured out the 10th new color - it's Midnight Rodeo. That was first seen in the 15th Anniversary palette so it's not exactly "new" but I guess they're calling it new because this is only the 2nd palette it's appeared in.

OR - to really give you a bang for your buck - an all eyes palette with all new items and NO REPEATS.

A compact palette with no wasted space no extra stuff you probably wouldn't use anyway.

(my cut and paste rendition)

OR - to really give you a bang for your buck - an all eyes palette with all new items and NO REPEATS.

A compact palette with no wasted space no extra stuff you probably wouldn't use anyway.

Oh I LIKE that version MUCH more than what UD came up with.

I say ditch the mascara too. I've never heard anyone saying "UD makes the best mascaras! It's my HG!" I never hear anyone talking about their mascaras at all. (Well except the colored ones, but I also read reviews that said they kinda suck but have pretty colors.) So get rid of that and let women use their own mascara and add in 4 more eyeshadow shades.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh that is such a waste a portable speaker really?

Oh yeah, that too. My first thought was a speaker? USB cord? WTF! People go to UD for makeup and elsewhere for electronics! Sheesh!

not digging their packaging at all. All i really care about is the eyeshadow anyways lol.  but another palette already... i havent even dipped into all the colors in the 15th anniv palette. whew ...

meh... who needs another mirror? portable speaker, usb cords, audio cable.. qr card. I feel like half of it is useless stuff.. cheaply made...hmmm.

I love UD eyeshadows but the packaging of the book of shadows make them less appealing for me. I have the BoS III and I have to admit that I have hardly used it while the naked palette has easily become my absolute favourite both at home and when I travel. I will for sure pass this one, I like the 15th anniversary one waaaay more both package wise and for the colors in it. I hope UD comes up with a new version of the naked palette or something equally sleek!

Yeah I never got the huge crazy packaging for BOS.  Yeah they're cool to look at...for about 15 min but I mean come on, are you going to set them out for display on your fireplace mantle or what  ...

UD's best packaging for these was their very first BOS. i have them all and each one has gotten thick and ticker. Me no likey. I depotted BOS3. And will probably for that for BOS4 ( you know i can't not get it, my willpower has no chance). I truly hate these big bulky things. I am always putting on my makeup on the go so these have to fit into my purse.

Swatches L to R: Bender, Gravity, Lost, Hijack

Bust, Missionary, Skimp, Zephyr

Blue Bus, Gun Metal, Cobra, Baked

Midnight Cowboy, Sin, Midnight Rodeo and Crystal

These images are off the UD FB site and are NOT my own.  These are just for your information and enjoyment.

Don't ditch the mascara, give it to me !

Seriously guys, this mascara gives me long lashes (the kind you have to wait until it's dry before blinking, or you get spider prints). Minimal clump (which can be avoided if you comb your lashes before), good enough volume, i love it ! It's a bit hard to remove, nothing oil can't beat though.

I don't care so much for the volume 4 (they HAD to put one of their midnight eyeshadows, *eyeroll*), but the other palette, yum !

The only thing i'm worried is this : similarities with other shadows from UD.

Deeper : Half Baked

M.I.A.: twice baked or Smog

Midnight Rodeo : Midnight Cowboy, version without glitter perhaps? or Sin.

Midnight 15 : Virgin ? temptalia says it has silver glitters, but it looks like Virgin otherwise.

Ace : Gunmetal, glitter free.

Blackout : looks like a basic matte black.

Deep End : my goodness it's gorgeous (ahem, says a turquoise shadow junkie) but it made me think of Flipside. Or the Deluxe Peace shadow.

Evidence : Deluxe shadow Adore (seems discontinued).

Omen : Deluxe shadow Ransom ?

Flow is gorgeous, Tainted looks like the perfect nude pink for me, and every woman needs a bright fuschia in her life. This one looks much more wearable than my 80's Sting. Vanilla may be a tad too yellow for me, but i'd prefer to check it IRL.

I am NOT saying or implying the shadows in that palette aren't original as the brand claims, but i own 4 palettes (Book of Shadows 2, Ammo, Naked, Baked), not to mention a few single shadows from Urban Decay (X, Midnight Cowboy, Sting, Adore, Rust), so i tend to seek for dupes in my stash in order not to buy another palette, however gorgeous. There is only so much products a woman can use in her life, and i don't apply as much eye makeup as i used to lately.

Latest posts

Back