Question about Blonde hair dye

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I naturally have dark brown almost black hair. For the past year almost now I've been getting it dyed blonde, but with my natural color is still visible underneath. I get it done at the salon but over 100$ every 3-6months is a lot. I unfortunately don't have the money to keep paying that. I don't want to give up this blonde hair either though. I've been considering trying to dye it myself but I've never done it before. Right now I still have my blonde hair done by the salon but already I see my roots coming in and I want them dyed. I personally don't like the "ombre" look. I wish my stylist would just dye the whole thing blonde. Anyhow, my question is if I bought a drugstore dye the same color as it is currently could I just dye it as is and it would fix my roots as well as giving an all over color? Or will dying a new blonde over this blonde and my natural hair turn it a funky color? Hopefully that makes sense, lol. :]

In my opinion, dying hair at home... will have unexpected results that you may hate! lol

your roots may end up looking more orange than the rest of your hair.

I have black hair and have always had trouble with drugstore dyes.  I finally went and checked out sally beauty supply and found a product called L'Oreal Quick Blue (I get the tub, not packets because it's cheaper and more convenient).   I use it on my roots every month or so (my roots are covered so I don't dye that often) and I've rarely had problems.  Sometimes I don't leave it in long enough and get a yellow result on part of it so I reprocess it.  Yes I know it's not good but I know my hair can take it and I give my hair a couple days of break before re-dying and deep condition.   I take  scoop of the quick blue and 1/4c of 40 creme developer, mix in a bowl and apply with a hair dye brush.  I used to wash my hair with purple shampoo when I kept it blonde

I have blonde hair and my natural color is not very dark. I've had huge problems with drugstore dyes and happily pay the price for getting my hair done professionally after the mistakes I've made. I bought a light color and used it all over with the same idea of covering the roots but I ended up with a ashy dark color. It was nothing like the box showed. I ended up having to get it fixed in the salon. I've tried it a few times and always the same thing. What happens is that the ends soak up the color more and sometimes can end up looking different. I would be very careful with trying the drugstore colors. Now they have the new foam colors and maybe they are better than the older drugstore colors. I've never tried the foam dyes. 

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It was nothing like the box showed.
I HATE that.  I used to randomly dye my hair from blonde to light brown and it always came out almost black : /

Thanks for your replies ladies. :]

I did go to the store and looked at a couple different dyes but I am still afraid of the outcome.
unsure.gif

Especially after reading your post Reija. I'd hate to have that happen!

I did see those foam type dyes but I'm not sure either how well they'd work. I read some reviews on MUA but I'm still not too sure.

It's not that I mind paying the 100 and something dollars for it to be done it's just that I don't have that at the moment, unfortunately.

But I suppose based off what the two of you have said it may be safer to just hold out and see if I can come up with the money and just deal with the roots until then.

It seemed like it may work to just cover the roots but I also realized the stylist has it in three different shades, two types of blonde and a brunette color underneath so that may not work with a box dye anyway?

Thank you for the help, greatly appreciated!

I payed $120 last time I did highlights. and $50 to get hair thinned out. I think it's worth it.

When I used foam dyes...it costs me $30 a month...because I had to use.. 3 boxes of hair dye for a consistent color :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />(( it would wash away after about 10-11 washes...

Once I died my long hair with drugstore blonde hair dye and it turned my hair ORANGE and patchy. it cost me $300 to fix it.
sadno.gif

Originally Posted by Miss.Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for your replies ladies. :]

I did go to the store and looked at a couple different dyes but I am still afraid of the outcome.
unsure.gif

Especially after reading your post Reija. I'd hate to have that happen!

I did see those foam type dyes but I'm not sure either how well they'd work. I read some reviews on MUA but I'm still not too sure.

It's not that I mind paying the 100 and something dollars for it to be done it's just that I don't have that at the moment, unfortunately.

But I suppose based off what the two of you have said it may be safer to just hold out and see if I can come up with the money and just deal with the roots until then.

It seemed like it may work to just cover the roots but I also realized the stylist has it in three different shades, two types of blonde and a brunette color underneath so that may not work with a box dye anyway?

Thank you for the help, greatly appreciated!

Back