Birch Box ~ bad business ~

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Birchbox has major privacy violation issues! My 1st box was sent to Virginia (I ...DONT live there) AND the rep TOLD ME the name of whom it was sent to. THEN, the rep emails Birchbox's grandpoohbahs asking what to do & COPIES ME IN ON THE EMAIL. To her management ppl (she said I was 'tweet happy'. Nice) !!! Yes, they're sending me another box & to be fair, refunded my $10, but this is bad business!!! I was SO looking forward to these samples every month but what other mistakes have they/will they make? BAD BUSINESS!

From what I was told there was a HUGE shipping problem with the boxes last month and it was the carriers fault.  Not birchbox.  Also EVERY box has a tracking number so you could have found out the address it went to anyways by calling USPS.  No privacy violation/bad business imo.  They refunded you 10 bucks and sent you anther box.  Seems like good business to me.

Not true, the tracking # only provides the city/state it was delivered to. I found out the womans name from the BB rep, because she TOLD ME. Also, Birchbox wouldve been the 1 to actually adress the box; USPS doesnt do that. Therefore, this was a BB fault, not a postal fault.

The rep then sends an email to her management team & copies me in on it ~ see below ~

*********************************************************************************************************************

Hi Girls,

Thought I should reach out to you about this - see my email below. It was in response to her tweet. She's right - The woman above her was named XXX on the office ship file. I was positive I didn't mention the name, but I must have. How can I rectify the situation?

I'm so sorry - I feel pretty stupid. I wanna make it right, but I don't wanna engage with this woman, because she's pretty twitter happy.

Ideas? I'm so sorry :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
*********************************************************************************************************************

Somehow I dont think that email was meant to be sent to me.

Oh I thought you meant it had gotten lost in the mail, not addressed to completely different person (how does that even happen).  Then yeah it is their fault but at least they corrected their mistake.

I've had my own personal problems with the company they use to ship - Streamlite = BAD shipping services - so I can understand your frustration.

The fact is that mistakes happen but exactly what would you like Birchbox do for you? They've refunded your money and sent out a replacement box. She does owe you an apology but after that what more do you want? She will most likely be reprimanded, we will never know since it would be bad business for them to announce to the world that she was reprimanded or fired. I don't think it was "bad business" on Birchbox's part but rather a lack of judgement on one employee's part. My suggestion is to contact Birchbox via their 800 number on Monday and speak to a supervisor there. Just keep in mind that other than a refund, replacement box and apology there's really not much else you can do. If you feel so strongly about this error then you should contact your state's Attorney General and BBB and file a complaint against the company.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had my own personal problems with the company they use to ship - Streamlite = BAD shipping services - so I can understand your frustration.

The fact is that mistakes happen but exactly what would you like Birchbox do for you? They've refunded your money and sent out a replacement box. She does owe you an apology but after that what more do you want? She will most likely be reprimanded, we will never know since it would be bad business for them to announce to the world that she was reprimanded or fired. I don't think it was "bad business" on Birchbox's part but rather a lack of judgement on one employee's part. My suggestion is to contact Birchbox via their 800 number on Monday and speak to a supervisor there. Just keep in mind that other than a refund, replacement box and apology there's really not much else you can do. If you feel so strongly about this error then you should contact your state's Attorney General and BBB and file a complaint against the company.

and/or just stop your subscription

I agree with Zadi. They are still a new company and mistakes will happen. Trust me, their customer service is actually quite stellar compared to another subscription service I'm a member of (cough.. Jewelmint). The good thing is they tried to make it right with you by refunding your money and replacing your box. If you're still unhappy, just cancel the subscription and be done with them.

Seems to me it was more of problem with the employee than the actual service, she should have known better than to tell you the womans name and send you the email, she was just being careless. I would let the bigwhigs of the company know so they can speak to or remove the employee.

I really don't think it's a big deal.  I've had packages get lost from Ebay and I've called up both USPS and UPS and FEDEX and they tracked down the packages and told me what address is went to.  Addresses are not secret.  So what she told the address of a lady she didn't know.  I  can go look in  a phone book and get millions of peoples addresses.  I just don't see a problem here.    o_O

To reiterate from my 1st post Foxxy, the rep did NOT tell me where the box was sent. I did indeed find that out ~ thru the tracking #, but what I'd said is that she'd given me the name of the person it went to (& she admitted to it). That IS a privacy issue & the fact that she CC'd me in on the email ABOUT me to her management......well, that's just not very smart.

I'm not giving up hope on them yet; I would love to be a subscriber w/ them, that's why I signed up in the 1st place. We'll see.

i'm sorry this happened to you, but having worked in customer service myself, i'd like to speak for the girl who you spoke to.

first of all, maybe she was new? just recently trained?

most likely birchbox uses outlook to send emails, and anyone who used outlook before knows that the "forward" and "reply to" buttons are close. being in CS is hectic and stressful. if you are in inbound CS, the only people who call you 90% of the time are frustrated and annoyed. yes, of course. you have to focus on your job and not make mistakes, but let's be honest - we all have made mistakes in our jobs, right? i understand you're very frustrated, but give the girl a break. she probably hit the wrong button, and didn't mean to CC you. it's odd reading emails about yourself to someone else, but i've made this mistake before myself. and no, i didn't get fired for that. unless this happens to you multiple times a day, they won't fire you for that. furthermore, to be very honest, her boss probably shrugged it off. imagine you'd be getting fired for just one mistake you made.

i've had horrid, mean, just plain and simple awful customers calling me. no matter how much i offered them, they never seemed to be able to just be content. also, please remember it's NOT the girl on the phone who shipped your birchbox to the wrong address. she probably works her butt off for $11-$13 an hour, and being mean to her doesn't get you anywhere. it never does when you call any CS. also, i think they did all they can. they sent you a new box, and refunded you the money. what else can they do?!

again, i'm sorry this happened to you. i'm just trying to make you understand the corp side of things a bit better. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

that being said, i'm glad i'm not in CS anymore. lol

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that being said, i'm glad i'm not in CS anymore. lol

I couldn't imagine doing that lol.  People are so mean and it's always "your fault" ><

I agree.  I think it was an employee issue here and not a company issues.

The girl is a total blunder.

Since you now have corporate emails, have you complained to them and stated the fact that you didnt appreciate the way she spoke about you to them and that is NOT good customer service skills.

while it might not be awesome that she, as the customer, got CC'd on the corp email, i'm 99% sure that's just how they talk within the trusted group of employees. at my old job we referred to people as "too bad so sad"-customers when certain issues came up. doesn't sound very nice, huh? but that's just how it is!

geez, people. -.-'

@bonnie: you have no idea!!! sometimes people would call me with the most ridiculous issues and scream at me for no reason at all. sheesh. one time a lady called me about a recalled product, yelled at me for 30 mins straight without telling me which product exactly it was.. turns out.. it wasn't even "ours". muaahaha. KARMA.

I once ordered something from Birchbox and waited for about two months for them to deliver it. I decided to call them to see what the heck was up, and they said they delivered it four weeks ago. I asked them where they left it. They said they don't know. I searched everywhere around the house, between every single door, and turns out they left it in a bush outside my house. Way to go Birchbox!!!!

You can't really blame Birchbox for the mailman leaving your package in a bush. I would complain to USPS for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13Bluestar97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I once ordered something from Birchbox and waited for about two months for them to deliver it. I decided to call them to see what the hell was up, and they said they delivered it four weeks ago. I asked them where they left it. They said they don't know. I searched everywhere around the house, between every single door, and turns out they left it in a bush outside my house. Way to go Birchbox!!!!

Originally Posted by 13Bluestar97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I once ordered something from Birchbox and waited for about two months for them to deliver it. I decided to call them to see what the hell was up, and they said they delivered it four weeks ago. I asked them where they left it. They said they don't know. I searched everywhere around the house, between every single door, and turns out they left it in a bush outside my house. Way to go Birchbox!!!!
How is that Birchbox's fault? The fault is with the United States Postal Service (USPS) and the mailman who delivered it. That's not Birchbox's fault that the mailman was an idiot and left it behind a bush.

How is that Birchbox's fault? The fault is with the United States Postal Service (USPS) and the mailman who delivered it. That's not Birchbox's fault that the mailman was an idiot and left it behind a bush.
... AND didn't leave a note. or did he?

Well I dunno what happened so I guess I blamed the wrong person...wow I feel dumb XD

Latest posts

Back