Alternative to shaving?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site but love it so far. I found this site because I'm looking for an alternative to shaving - but I don't mean my legs or underarms. 

Sorry if it's TMI or just not something that's not talked about on here.

I generally feel more hygienic if I shave. If I have long hairs I feel all grubby and awful. But it's now causing skin problems. Is there an alternative I can use/do?

icon_redface.gif

I have that same issue! But I've actually purchased a Groupon [referral link removed, replaced with link directly to groupon] back in April for laser hair removal for $160 (I also upgraded for another $160 retailed at $1200) so it was definitely a deal, I seen results after my first session, they're almost always having deals for laser hair removal on that site, and for a great price (best I've seen $145). So if you can afford the little extra money, I'd recommend it! Or your best bet is waxing..or perhaps trimming? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope you get it all figured out 
biggrin.gif

There are tons of groupons for laser.  One of which was a 3 part unlimited laser treatments for a year - this was a couple of months ago.

I recommend waxing - Brazilian wax is better than others, epilators in between waxing or instead of is also another.  I have a No!No!  This is good for legs and armpits and arms. 

I agree, Laser is the way to go. In the bikini area it hurts a little, but only for the half second the laser is actually targeting your hair.

I would like to tell you my experience with laser. First of all, I have light skin and dark hair (very good canidate for laser). I went for 6 rounds and between each round I noticed a lot of reduction in hair. I went from shaving daily to maybe once per week, and even then the hair was minimal, until after the 3rd session, when I remained hair free. However, within 3-4 months of my last session I was back to the same.

I don't know what would happen if I had continued, and have even thought about going back again. But I have come to the conclusion that the laser is just temporary, and I think that I may do regular sessions during the summer - if only for a nice hair free period. But I am not expecting permanent results. Sort of like a very expensive wax job with the hope that it will end with a little less hair than I started with.

All in all,  the waxing is much cheaper, and for me the pain is about the same degree. But that is very subjective.

If cost isn't a factor, I'ld say have a go at it. If it works, great. If it doesn't...... well at least you can say you tried, and you will probably still get some temporary results.

If cost is a factor, I'ld go with the waxing.

Anyway, that's just me. I have heard others say that the laser worked for them.

That's interesting! How it grew back? I actually never read reviews about that happening. It hasn't happen to me (hope it doesn't) however I am not finished with all of my sessions. We'll see but I agree with you 100% 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by rakin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to tell you my experience with laser. First of all, I have light skin and dark hair (very good canidate for laser). I went for 6 rounds and between each round I noticed a lot of reduction in hair. I went from shaving daily to maybe once per week, and even then the hair was minimal, until after the 3rd session, when I remained hair free. However, within 3-4 months of my last session I was back to the same.

I don't know what would happen if I had continued, and have even thought about going back again. But I have come to the conclusion that the laser is just temporary, and I think that I may do regular sessions during the summer - if only for a nice hair free period. But I am not expecting permanent results. Sort of like a very expensive wax job with the hope that it will end with a little less hair than I started with.

All in all,  the waxing is much cheaper, and for me the pain is about the same degree. But that is very subjective.

If cost isn't a factor, I'ld say have a go at it. If it works, great. If it doesn't...... well at least you can say you tried, and you will probably still get some temporary results.

I've started epilating and tweezing what the epilator misses.  It lasts a lot longer than shaving for me since my roots are so long. Funny how I am fine with tolerating the pain of the epilator, but I am afraid to wax.

I'm waiting for the Tria to get down enough in price that I'll consider it affordable.  It's an at home laser hair removal system.  It's $400 now, but I think it was around $600 when I first caught wind of it.  I hope a few more years and it'll be at a price range that I can consider it an affordable splurge.  I don't have enough body hair growth right now to merit that much money though.

Waxing is the answer to replace the shaving.

Reasons:

No.1 : It cleans better then shaving.

No.2: The regrowth time for the hair is at least 2 weeks.So you don't have to shave.

No 3: The new hair is smooth and soft.

No 4: Safe to any skin type.

No.5: The skin will not be irritated after waxing.

YOU SHOULD GET IT DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL. in  salon. 

I'm waiting for the Tria to get down enough in price that I'll consider it affordable.  It's an at home laser hair removal system.  It's $400 now, but I think it was around $600 when I first caught wind of it.  I hope a few more years and it'll be at a price range that I can consider it an affordable splurge.  I don't have enough body hair growth right now to merit that much money though. 
I have the tria,(newest version) and it is not anywhere as powerful as getting it done professionally. At the most, it reduced the amount of hair (use it on underarms). But it has never had the results that I got from a professional laser session. However, as I mentioned before, even the professional lasering didn't result in permanent hair removal for me.

Although, I will say that my tria allows me to go for a full week between underarm shaving. But since you don't have much body hair, the tria might give you better results than me.

Although, I will say that my tria allows me to go for a full week between underarm shaving. But since you don't have much body hair, the tria might give you better results than me.

Yeah, I've been looking at deals for professional lasering, too.  It looks like I can probably get 3-6 sessions for $100-200, so i'm thinking that if the Tria comes down to $200, $250, maybe $300 that it's worth it for me to be able to get all of the areas that I might think about lasering, instead of just doing a single location lasered for what might not even need all 6 sessions.

Thanks for your input though, it's always nice to feel like you're getting a real person's opinion on something I want to try out.  Noting that it's still a bit weaker than the "real deal" I guess is something I hadn't really read (smaller yes, but I didn't see anything that said not as effective, although I guess it's not completely surprising if it's been made to be "safeR" for at home use.

Like I said too, I've actually switched to epilating (psycho-fast electronic tweezing) and regular tweezing the leftovers, both my underarms and bikini area (actually more hand tweezing the bikini area since my epilator doesn't seem to work as well with the smaller physical area down there.)  It's nice because I don't have regrowth for about 3 weeks due to my deeper roots (takes them that long to resurface), and it's only a few hairs so it doesn't take more than 20 minutes.

I use a smaller epilator - an Emjoi Tweeze to get the missed hairs after I use my larger epilator for the larger areas.  I got one from  ebay for less than $4.  They are great for my small mustache on the corners of my mouth and altho it says don't use on eyebrows, I use it for a stray brow hair here and there.  

Personally, I would get a professional waxing.  Laser may be a good idea, but definitely one that will require some research and thought.  In the meantime, waxing works great!

I had lightsheer laser hair removal on multiple areas of my body; face, arms, legs, arm pits and private parts.  I am still getting my legs done.  I am usually the lightest foundation a brand offers, if they go so light, and I have dark brown hair.  I had to get regular treatments, spaced 2 months out a piece, for 2 years before my face was done; not too much different than that for other areas either.  Even then I get some stragglers every now and again that meet their end via electrolysis.  It takes a really long time to catch all the hairs between their growth and dormant cycles AND kill them.

It really is time consuming and how long and how good the results are, are a YMMV situation.

I had lightsheer laser hair removal on multiple areas of my body; face, arms, legs, arm pits and private parts.  I am still getting my legs done.  I am usually the lightest foundation a brand offers, if they go so light, and I have dark brown hair.  I had to get regular treatments, spaced 2 months out a piece, for 2 years before my face was done; not too much different than that for other areas either.  Even then I get some stragglers every now and again that meet their end via electrolysis.  It takes a really long time to catch all the hairs between their growth and dormant cycles AND kill them.
So you ended up getting about 12 sessions for each area????  And how long has it been since you discontinued the other areas?

I may need to go back and try it again. If I can get that kind of results, I can stick with it for a couple of years. I did my sessions a little closer together than you did, maybe I will space it out a few more weeks. (I used a yag  and a gentlelase for different areas)

So you ended up getting about 12 sessions for each area????  And how long has it been since you discontinued the other areas?

I may need to go back and try it again. If I can get that kind of results, I can stick with it for a couple of years. I did my sessions a little closer together than you did, maybe I will space it out a few more weeks. (I used a yag  and a gentlelase for different areas)
I'd have to look it up, but between about 10 and 15 for each area.  My arms needed more treatments(aya awkward times!), while my pits zapped away pretty quick.  I could be wrong, but unless something's changed, for being fairly white with darker hair, Lightsheer is supposed to be more effective than YAG or Gentlelase given an experienced tech.  Pits, arms, face and *stuff* are done, although I've had 1 touch up appointment in the last year where some stragglers were on all of those areas and were nuked.  I have some hair I tweeze or get nuked when I'm in for other work(Ex - leg LHR appt I'll ask if she can zap a few in my pits); it's been pretty darn good and I'd say the results have been lasting, and I think with time that the touchups will go down or be done with.

I got/get all of it done at my Dermatologists office rather than a spa or clinic.  I didn't want to get burns or have someone who just is ineffective.  They recommended the further spacing so that you're more likely to be in another cycle or part of regrowth; they said 8 weeks and I agreed.  They cost significantly more, I think I've spent at least $7-8k there, but my math ain't great right now.  I did find out that they did seasonal deals(like winter armpit special!) and saved on pits and legs; you get the teaser price for the first 2 sessions and then the fee for treatments after that is still lower than usual(at least there).

If I were you, I'd talk to a dermatologist about your goals and expectations and see what they say.  What sealed the deal for me is how much success my tech had(she had a lot done).  After that I got just one area done, and then was happy and got a lot more done.

I'd have to look it up, but between about 10 and 15 for each area.  My arms needed more treatments(aya awkward times!), while my pits zapped away pretty quick.  I could be wrong, but unless something's changed, for being fairly white with darker hair, Lightsheer is supposed to be more effective than YAG or Gentlelase given an experienced tech.  Pits, arms, face and *stuff* are done, although I've had 1 touch up appointment in the last year where some stragglers were on all of those areas and were nuked.  I have some hair I tweeze or get nuked when I'm in for other work(Ex - leg LHR appt I'll ask if she can zap a few in my pits); it's been pretty darn good and I'd say the results have been lasting, and I think with time that the touchups will go down or be done with.

I got/get all of it done at my Dermatologists office rather than a spa or clinic.  I didn't want to get burns or have someone who just is ineffective.  They recommended the further spacing so that you're more likely to be in another cycle or part of regrowth; they said 8 weeks and I agreed.  They cost significantly more, I think I've spent at least $7-8k there, but my math ain't great right now.  I did find out that they did seasonal deals(like winter armpit special!) and saved on pits and legs; you get the teaser price for the first 2 sessions and then the fee for treatments after that is still lower than usual(at least there).

If I were you, I'd talk to a dermatologist about your goals and expectations and see what they say.  What sealed the deal for me is how much success my tech had(she had a lot done).  After that I got just one area done, and then was happy and got a lot more done. 
Thanks. I will definitely look into the the lightsheer. The yag started at my obgyn office. They do a lot of things there for women besides the standard obgyn stuff. But I wasn't happy with the yag, so I switched to a laser clinic that I frequent. (a little lipo and botox).

They used the gentlase. But I stopped after my package ran out.

I do have a plastic surgeon that I can use, but the clinic is so easy. (close to home, friends with several people - so I get in at a moments notice). But I may need to find someplace else if I decide to go with a different laser.

My obgyn did 8 weeks, but the laser clinic did 6 weeks, but yeah I think 8 weeks is better. And since winter is approaching, I think I will be on the look out for those deals!
wink.gif

If you really had problem with shaving then just trim your beard. If your problem is not solved just talk to skin doctor and take his/her guidance.

Latest posts

Back