Wearing makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so I want to wear makeup. Im going into my freshmen year. I have mascara but it's really bad and clumpy. I'm really shy so I'm afraid to ask my mom. I wore makeup once to a dance but it was my cousins and she did it. How do I ask my my because I'm really shy and my mom never brings it up and it's like she doesn't really care. How do I ask her?

Hi Sweetpea!

I can understand your feelings--I wasn't allowed to be in a car/ let alone  DATE until i was 16.  And the same applied to makeup. In middle school, all I wore was mascara and gloss...and maybe some browliner.

What I would suggest is googling teen "looks" and writing down a product list. This way, you and your mom could go over it together. Here's a conversational thought you could have with your mom: What exactly are you looking to achieve? Thicker lashes? A more "even" skin tone? I would narrow down what you are hoping to achieve first before bringing it up. 

Keep in mind that your mom (or any of your relatives) aren't trying to be "mean" etc...they are looking out for you. There are a lot of creepers out there....your parents are just looking out for you girl ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Uhh... that's a hard one.

First of all, if you're not used to make-up I suggest to start with simple stuff: tinted moisturizer, mascara, lipgloss.  That way your mother will probably be happy too and it won't be so hard to convince her. Later on  you can add one eyeshadow in a soft color(for now don't try to combine more than one color and avoid strong colors, if you're not used to them and don't know how to use colors on your face, you risk looking like a clown-we all know that look :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and maybe eyeliner(but please, not black!).

As for your mother, I think you should start slowly. Maybe invite some friends over for a make-up party, or maybe ask her one day if you could use her lipstick/mascara... That way she would probably get the idea and it's gonna be easyer to start a conversation.

I'm a freshman in high school too, don't feel bad!

I started wearing makeup in the eighth grade because I got glasses and they make my eyes look small, so I wore mascara and concealer. Don't be shy to ask. I remember a few years ago I was terrified to ask for deodorant or my own makeup as well, but if you find the right moment when your mom is happy and in a good mood, you won't believe how easy it will be. Oh also, if it's all clumpy and bad, throw away your mascara. If you use it you can get an eye infection. It also helps to have a good reason to want to wear makeup, like I have glasses.

Many mothers just don't want their daughters wearing makeup for 2 reasons: 1, it can ruin your skin and cause premature aging if you start wearing makeup at a young age, and 2, they don't want to see them grow up too fast. So if you're gonna ask for makeup, ask for the stuff that's not too noticeable at first, like mascara or foundation or lipgloss or subtle eyeshadows. Then once your mom finds out you're responsible with makeup, work your way up to eyeliners and darker makeup.

I hope those helped! Trust me, I've been there.

It's a tough one. does your mum wear a lot of mak eup her self?

if she does, then it should be easy to approach.

My mum never wear make up, I started wearing some eyeliner when I was 15.. I had similar problems. i think the best way is to prompt her by starting a conversation on similar topics... ie. talk about make up, comment on cosmetics in magazines.. then start dropping little hints. My mum didn't get it though so i had to hold my breath and ask her straight out. Parents are usually apathetic or tough on these situations. Parents never want their children to grow up too fast, I agree with above... opt for something less noticable. I always parents buying clear mascara, pressed powder or clear lipgloss  for their teenage daughters

Hey there, I know what that's like, I grew up a tom boy so when I asked my mom if I could start wearing make up, it was really awkward for me. It was really awkward asking her to do anything girly for me, not because she wasn't willing, just because of my own insecurities, it took me 6 months for me to get the guts to ask my mom for a real bra, LOL. My mom never brought it up either, so she probably doesn't talk about it because she doesn't think you're interested in it. I would just go up to your mom and ask her for a bit of money, and when she asks why just tell her your interested in make up and you'd like to go pick a few things up, maybe she might want to go with you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If not, go with a friend! That's what I did, and once my mom noticed I started wearing make up, she would ask me if I needed anything, and if I did I'd say yes, and she took me shopping to a make up counter and bought me nicer make up once I went into high school. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If your mom is not against it, then don't feel akward about it.

Hi there!

I would think that ur mom wants to keep you young and "innocent" as long as she can. So by avoiding the conversation, she doesn't have to face the fact they ur growing up. My mom never wore a stitch of make up and I wanted to wear make up so bad, I had to wait til I was 16 and by then I was a junior in high school lol I wore black eyeliner (not like crazy goth looking) and some eyeshadow that I really had no business wearing lol I wish I had youtube back then because there are lots of make up gurus who do looks for school that are very subtle. I think if you talk to ur mom and tell her that u don't want to go to school looking like Lady Gaga but you just want to wear some mascara and maybe some eyeliner and light colored eyeshadow (maybe a light pink with a light tan/brown color), nothing drastic, she might be more open to that. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Sweetpea1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so I want to wear makeup. Im going into my freshmen year. I have mascara but it's really bad and clumpy. I'm really shy so I'm afraid to ask my mom. I wore makeup once to a dance but it was my cousins and she did it. How do I ask my my because

I'm really shy and my mom never brings it up and it's like she doesn't really care. How do I ask her?
Having my own daughters who are in high school (one is a junior and the other a freshman) I absolutely refused to let them wear makeup in middle school - not even lip gloss - EXCEPT for school pictures and then I'd apply it for them. Now that they're in high school they're allowed to wear makeup but not the same. My eldest is allowed to wear foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, blush and lip gloss while her sister is allowed eyeshadow, mascara and lip gloss but no foundation, eyeliner or blush until she's 16 (two more years for her).

So how you ask your mom? Just ask her something like, "Mom, can I wear _____?" Be it lip gloss, mascara, eye shadow or a full face. All she can is no. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can suggest L'Oreal Voluminous mascara, great and affordable :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Start simple. I started with Maybelline Great Lash (which i don't suggest, it was a nightmare), and a pale pink Bourjois eyeshadow, so pale it barely looked like i had makeup on. I also added a scented clear lipgloss and to be honest, that's all i wore until i entered my second year in college. I don't suggest tinted moisturizer, unless you really want to cover up some acne. In that case, ask your mom for advice.

For extra ommph for a party or pictures, i would add eyeliner. I would negotiate this with your mother as well, and in your shoes i would ask her how to apply it, that way she knows you won't go out looking like a goth, which in an adult's mouth is rarely a compliment.

Whatever you buy, make sure you know how it use it, and show it to your mother. That's how i negotiated wearing makeup. The only time my mother got pissed is when she saw i had applied nail polish without taking care of my cuticles like she had told me to.

It was a really strange question for me to ask my mom, too.  But, I think the best thing to do is ask for basics.  A tinted moisturizer, a peachy blush, or a neutral shadow.  Please don't go all out with smokey eyes, heavy liner, or false lashes.  When you discuss it with your mom, tell her you just want a natural, but still very pretty look.  As long as you keep it natural, she probably won't see anything wrong with it.  I suggest using Bare Escentuals because it is all natural.  It is so safe, you can even sleep in it!

I hope this helped you out! If you need any recommendations, send me a private message!

I have just started my freshman year. Here is what I use: 

L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara (waterproof) *The mascara brush holds onto a lot of the formula, so I scrape the excess back into the tube*

Cherry ChapStick

A light dusting of a flesh-toned eyeshadow (shimmery works too)

A very thin line of black eyeliner on the top lashline only (Wet N' Wild pencil, $1)

Concealer (My favorite are the Revlon Colorstay ones, usually around $9)

Mattifying powder (Hard Candy, which is sold at Walmart has a good one for about $8)

Latest posts

Back