(Newbie) Help me look my age?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I'm new to this forum, and new to makeup. I really was not interested in wearing makeup, but I have a problem. I'll be 20 in a few months and I look 15! It doesn't help that I am super short. I don't dress in trendy teen clothes, so my outfits aren't the problem. It's really my height and face. I know there's nothing I can do about my height, but I'd like to start dating again and no guy is going to approach me if he thinks I'm 15 years old. I have no idea how to apply makeup. I'd like some makeup to help me look older, but I don't want it to be super obvious that I'm wearing makeup if you know what I mean. Some things to know about me. -I'm a really light tan color - I have a few freckles that I adore and don't want covered up - My lips are a little pale - I have dark brown hair that I just cut to mid neck. (I might dye it if I can decide on a color though) - I like dresses like those on Modcloth.com and my blouses are mostly natural colors with some pinks and lace now and then ( I don't know if style of clothing matters in relation to makeup so I'm throwing that in there just in case) I really appreciate any tips or advice you have! I'm completely clueless.

Do you wear makeup?  It's hard to even take a guess without a picture.  It'd be great if you can upload one.

If you can't, maybe you should hang out in areas where you'd meet men in your age range - clubs, pubs, bars.  Take a course. Go with friends that don't look 15 also.   

My personal advice other than wearing makeup -  looking young is a gift.  I looked 15 at 22 (without makeup).  I am glad now that I'm 43 to look 35!  That would not be so if I didn't look 15 at 22 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My personal advice other than wearing makeup -  looking young is a gift.  I looked 15 at 22 (without makeup).  I am glad now that I'm 43 to look 35!  That would not be so if I didn't look 15 at 22 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I totaly agree with that, I think you should use you 15-years-looking face as much as you can. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But yes, sometimes we all need to look mature, sadly without a picture or at least more details about your skin type we can't do much to help you:). And yes, details about your style help to make an idea about what would fit your personality. (Btw, I love how feminine those dresses are
lovelovee.gif
)

So, is your face oily, dry or normal(any acne problems-I'm interested to know if your face is clean or you would need some covering)?. Do you use any kind of make-up or cosmetics(mascara, moisturizers)? Do you own anything make-up related?

Makeup can really affect your appearance, I agree. I suggest staying away from any bright pinks or purples that fifteen year-olds actually wear. Go for the more sophisticated colors, like blues or silvers or browns. Don't overload on eyeliner, because usually most people at fifteen use it to look "better" and by the time they're your age, they grow out of the notion.

You're lucky, you look young - I have a somewhat prematurity to my skin, it runs in the family. Use it to your advantage!!

The only time that I got real attention from men is when I dressed more provocatively.  Then I got lots.  That was a long time ago of course...

Bigger than makeup is how you dress and carry yourself in public.  I know that a lot of the fashion mags do looks at any age articles all the time.  Dress yourself up sophisticated or business casual.  Avoid screen printed tee's and jeans combos.  

As far as cosmetics go, keep things in the neutrals at first.  Use a little eyeliner and mascara and tinted gloss.  If you love your skin then don't cover it up.  I have freckles that I wear with pride too.  

On a week day when the stores are not too busy, make your way over to an ulta, sephora, or makeup counter at the mall.  Find someone working there that has a look that you like and ask her how she did her makeup.  Hopefully she won't pressure you to buy anything and will bubble over from being complemented on her look.  

Start to go through your wodrobe and try on your clothes in front of a long mirror.  Toss what makes you feel 15 and start putting together outfits that enlongate your body.  Do not wear kitten heals- they actually make your legs appear shorter! 

Like others said, bear with the nusance of being carded all the time and know that you are just going to look great when you get older.  Take care of your skin NOW!  Preserve your youthful looks so that when you do start to age, you will let yourself age with grace.  Sun screen, proper cleansing, moisturizer where you need it and invest in a protective eye cream.  Wear as little make up as you can get away with and drink your daily 6-8 glasses of water.  

Post us some pics so that we can give you color ideas :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I so relate to you. I'm 23 (going to turn 24 this month) and am very short and people think I'm much younger! They are always shocked when I tell them my age. While I'm glad that I age slower than others I've also been wondering how to look my age because on occasion it can get annoying...I hope some of the tips here will help me too.

btw I love modcloth!

Posting a picture would help a lot to determine what you could wear (make-up wise) to help you look older. :)

Its all about what you wear. Altho modcloth clothes are cute, they can appear very cutesy and even more cutesy on someone who looks like a little girl.  In my 20's I had a boyish body so I looked almost pre-pubescent (small boobs and narrow hips) but I'm not short. When I entered a room, I OWNED it.  You have to OWN who you are.  People will notice you because you have a presence and not how old you look.  Men are attracted to confidence and energy.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I so relate to you. I'm 23 (going to turn 24 this month) and am very short and people think I'm much younger! They are always shocked when I tell them my age. While I'm glad that I age slower than others I've also been wondering how to look my age because on occasion it can get annoying...I hope some of the tips here will help me too.

btw I love modcloth!

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its all about what you wear. Altho modcloth clothes are cute, they can appear very cutesy and even more cutesy on someone who looks like a little girl.  In my 20's I had a boyish body so I looked almost pre-pubescent (small boobs and narrow hips) but I'm not short. When I entered a room, I OWNED it.  You have to OWN who you are.  People will notice you because you have a presence and not how old you look.  Men are attracted to confidence and energy.  

Quote:
I like modcloth but I don't dress like that.

I agree with Lauren Ball.  Just by my physical appearance, I look much younger.  I was once stopped at the mall I work at by one of the guys they hire to go around kicking under-18s out after curfew and had to show them my ID.  At the time, I was just walking through, laughing with my friend. I was 21 and they apologized profusely but said I looked maybe 16 or 17.  

On the other hand, when I interviewed for my job my boss was surprised when I said I was 22.  He said the way I spoke, dressed, and carried myself made me seem more like 25 or 26.  Acting and presenting yourself with maturity makes all the difference.

That said, I also agree that staying away from heavy eye liner and bubblegum pinks and purples is a great way to look your age.  Keep your makeup sophisticated but simple.  Don't overdo the eye makeup (especially eye liner! nothing says "mall rat" more than heavily kholed eyes), rather emphasize your lashes with a good mascara and wear beiges and browns for eyeshadow.

Latest posts

Back