Good Quality but cheap pigments/loose eyeshadows - Where can I find?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some of the NYX pigments ($3-6), some LA Colors loose eyeshadows ($1), and the ELF Mineral Eyeshadows ($3). I'm looking at getting some of the Jordana Loose Eyeshadows ($2). 

I have a small budget, and I'm a pigment/loose eyeshadow type of person. Where can I find other pigments/loose eyeshadows for cheap that are still good quality? I want multiple colors but can only spend $3 - $6 per pigment. 

If you wanted to branch out and try MAC pigments, but don't want to spend a lot of money, you can try buying samples of them from websites like www.makeupgeek.com or www.thebeautysampler.com. Both of these sites also offer samples of other brands like Ben Nye and Sugarpill. For between $2-4, you can get decent sized samples of the pigments they have available.

Another great place is www.etsy.com. If you're not familiar, it's a site where people sell products they have handmade. A lot of sellers make great quality pigments and their full size pigments are usually around $5, but they offer samples as well (some sellers give generous samples) for about $1 each.

Hope this helped!

Be careful when it comes to indie cosmetic companies because some have pretty bad reputations. There are many that sell fantastic products. Fyrinnae is one of my favorites despite being an "up and down" store meaning they go off line without warning but I've never heard any complaints other than the site going offline. Samples are between $1.50 and $3 depending on what you're getting.

Sugarpill is more on the pricey side ($12 a jar) but you do get a good deal of product.

TKB Trading sells the mica to make your own. Coastal Scents also sells mica. Both sites sell sample sizes.

http://www.fyrinnae.com/

http://www.sugarpillshop.com/

http://www.tkbtrading.com/

http://www.coastalscents.com/

Here's a list of indie companies that have good reputations. Note, I have NOT ordered from any of the companies listed below so I can't vouch for them other than what I've read on these companies.

The stuff from TKB - I think it is Mica(?), but do you have to buy stuff to add into it to make it an eyeshadow or can you use it straight out of the bag/container?

I'm off to check out the other places mentioned. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Originally Posted by Piink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The stuff from TKB - I think it is Mica(?), but do you have to buy stuff to add into it to make it an eyeshadow or can you use it straight out of the bag/container?

I'm off to check out the other places mentioned. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)
Depends on how you want to use it. You can mix it with other bases or use it straight. Many companies sell mineral shadows that typically are just straight mica, some add a base like titanium dioxide (example Micabeauty aka MicaBella, they also go by another name). It's an absolute rip off when you look at the ingreidents and see they're charging around $14 to $15 a (small) jar (less than 5 grams) for something that's essentially straight mica ESPECIALLY when you can buy a pound of mica for a few bucks. (And I'm not just talking about Micabeauty but all the other mica mineral companies out there that sell mica eye shadows.)

ELF's mineral shadows contain:

Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Boron Nitride, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate(Ve) , Retinyl Palmitate(Va), Panthenol(Vb), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate(Vc). May Contain: Iron Oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarine Blue(CI 77007)
Mineral Silk is also basically just straight Mica:

Mica, iron oxides, may contain ultramarine pink, manganese violet, ultramarine violet, or ultramarine blue.
So long answer short - yes you can use mica straight but you'll need to use a primer to get it to "stick" to your eyes. BUT be aware that not all mica is eye safe (example Cellini Red from Coastal Scents is not eye safe).

Like I mentioned there are indie companies out there who sell samples, typically under $2 each, and you get a generous amounts to play with.

Originally Posted by Piink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have used tkb without the base for like a year and just recently bought the base.   IMO it works just fine without it.

Hi you have got to try Barry M Dazzle Dusts - in the UK they are 4 pounds sterling each but there are regularly offers of buy 2 get one free. The quality is phenomenal, and they have every colour you can imagine, although there are only a few matte shades.

Check them out at www.barrym.com they do ship to the States although you may find it expensive alternatively, check Ebay.

Beauty from the Earth has good ones and each week you can get the color of the week which is a full size jar at the sample price, $2

In the US, there's Jesse's Girl (around $3.99) at RiteAid. There's also (at most dollar type stores) LA Color ($1).

La Femme sparkle dusts are THE BEST!!!!

I use them daily, they have really pretty colours, are highly pigmented, and last ALL day until you have to physically take it off with makeup remover.

If you google La Femme cosmetics you'll find many results :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> xp

La Femme sparkle dusts are THE BEST!!!!

I use them daily, they have really pretty colours, are highly pigmented, and last ALL day until you have to physically take it off with makeup remover.

If you google La Femme cosmetics you'll find many results :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> xp

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the US, there's Jesse's Girl (around $3.99) at RiteAid. There's also (at most dollar type stores) LA Color ($1).

I've only seen like 2 Jesse's Girl nail polishes at rite aid  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I would die if I found the eyeshaodws

My RiteAid is a new one - opened earlier this summer - so they have a ton of stuff the older RiteAids (in my area) do not have.

Back