Could someone try to help me, please? I'd really greatly appreciate it. Eyeshadow application help.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a haul of make up + re organized and went through all of my make up so I'm wanting to try new looks. I generally focus on my eyes. Maybe porefessional on my face after i blot it with a sheet. I always shade in my eyebrows, though. I have naturally blonde eyebrows and dark drown hair, go figure, lol. But I've gotten pretty good at that. I've gotten into washing my face and taking care of it properly at night (taking my make up off, i never used to at all, it gets annoying with facial piercings + laziness) and using eyeshadow primers. (I have a bunch of tiny sample ones I'm going through and trying.) My problem is being able to create nice eye looks. I can apply eyeshadow of course, and mascara I'm a pro at. Eyeliner I'm okay at. But I have never incorporated more than one eyeshadow color at a time, and I want to start doing that. I'm beginning to slowly watch videos and practice at home when I have time but my main concern is what are the essential things I need to know, do, need, and such to create and learn that?

I hope this makes sense, I apologize for the story, I just figured it'd be easier for me to give the information first of what I can/can't and do/don't do. I use a lot of products from Sephora, except my eye liner pretty much all of my make up is from there with some other eyeshadows and such from miliani or elf.

This is what i've always done when I do eyeshadow generally.

And I did do this once or twice, lol.  But I honestly don't know how to do much like below.

This is more like what I want to learn to be able to do.

This is my first post, haha, so I hope it is understood/in the right place/able to be helped.

Videos have not helped me in the way of how to actually apply it WHILE i'm in the moment doing it...I think what might help is tips and tricks from people (like you guys, I've been browsing this whole forum and site like crazy!) so I can start practicing with a sort of guideline.

Much lovexx

I'm not sure if you can find something that's close to you style, but I can invite you to my blog. If you find something that you like, I would gladly give you some step by step instructions oh how to achieve it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think the best tip I can give is to blend blend blend!!! between colors! By that I mean use a soft, clean eyeshadow brush to rub back and forth on the line between two colors so the final look does not have "stripes". That and practice! do a look and if it doesn't come out right figure out whats different. If you can't figure it out post a pic here and maybe we can help! ;-) Good Luck

My biggest tip is it always looks worse before it looks better!

Practice tons, dont be afraid to go crazy, even drag queen like while you practice, you'll learn better if you screw it up too! lol 

Blending wise, someone once told me to always use your finger and tap the lines you want to blend, that way you dont brush away your good work!

Use lots of layers too, below is part of an old tutorial I did, but you can see how extra layers are just laid on top of each other one by one.

When I started getting interested in creating more interesting and dramatic eye looks I was probably where you're at. I would highly highly recommend looking at MakeUp Geek tutorials. The makeup artist who does them explains things really well and always gives cheaper alternatives to the more expensive products. There's a huge range of tutorials from basics to more advanced looks to even hair ideas (but the focus is usually eye looks). They're really great, I subsscribed to the videos on YouTube but I usually find the new videos before I get the email :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> One tip I can give is to learn to blend. That's the most important technique for creating the looks you wanted to do. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hello! I think the easiest thing to start with would be learning how to highlight your inner corners and shade your outer corners and crease. Then you can start to work on combining complementary colors in one look! When I first started applying makeup to my eyes years ago I was immediately drawn to vibrant, crazy colors. In the beginning I created colorful Smokey eyes, which can be super simple! Here's a quick how-to: 1. Choose any color and use either a lighter and darker shade of that color, or use one color with black to shade. 2. Apply the lighter color to your upper lid, leaving your outermost corner bare. 3. Pat on the darker shadow or black onto the bare outer corner and sweep it gently into the crease halfway across. 4. Blend the area where the two colors meet gently. Overblending will create a muddy look. 5. Blend the crease a bit so that it fades into the lighter color, but still shades it. 6. Pat a nice highlight color (white, light gold, or anything that reflects light and subtly complements the rest of the colors) into the very inner corner of your eye. 7. Line your eyes as you please (tight-line waterline, line lashline, etc.) And apply mascara. I have a lot of colorful eye looks on my blog if you want to see this technique in use! Good luck, I hope this helps!

I started getting into makeup and when I needed help I would watch YouTube videos from tons of people. I watch everything but usually the basic techniques videos are helpful. Browse the YouTube and have your supplies ready :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I learned everything I know about eyeshadow application on you tube. Just do a search and you will find more videos than you can even watch. Be very careful - It's addicting in more ways than one! I became addicted to watching make up videos and shopping for makeup - especially eyeshadow! There are many good videos, but my favorite are those by julieg713, emilynoel83 and gossmakeupartist. Have fun!!!

Watch youtube videos.  Those gurus like Enkore or gossmakeupartist or anything that comes up in between is extremely helpful.  I once spent an entire week watching videos on eye makeup to figure out how to do stuff. 

I agree about makeup geek, very nice videos and good explanations. Practice will make it perfect, there is no way to rush this.

The looks you have shown are not that difficult. It's more a question of placement. Usually the basic combination is light for inner corners, medium for lid and dark for outer V/crease. If i take for example the second picture :

1. ALWAYS apply a primer. You will help color stick, last longer and be more vibrant. A tiny bit is enough but to me it makes a big difference.

2.Inner corners (just above the tearduct) : you need something like white or shimpagne, matte or shimmery to your preference. Pick up some product on your brush, place it in the inner corners, and go up and out.

You can apply this color first or last. You can either use a flat brush for this, or a round fluffy brush.

If you have a darkness issue that day, i suggest you apply concealer first. It makes more sense to highlight an area that is concealed, it's not as effective above a dark or blue corner.

3.lid : starting from where your highlighter lasts, apply the eyeshadow all over the rest of the lid. You can leave the outer corner bare, or not.

Where to stop is really easy : take a pencil or a brush and connect the outer corner of your eye with the end of your eyebrow. This is where you should stop applying eyeshadow.

4. The outer corner and crease : two solutions . For the first picture, pick up the dark color with a round, fluffy brush, place it at the outer corner, and with your eyes opened go into the crease, you may need to repeat this until you get the shape and intensity you want. You might want to pick more highlight to blend the edge of the dark shadow.

For the second picture, use a flat brush, apply just at the outer corner, and blend inwards.

The blending part is easy as long as you remember to blend only the edges (back and forth). Make sure you wipe off any excess product with a kleenex before applying another shadow if you use the same brushes. It's one of the main culprits why your makeup gets muddy.

Apply liner as you want, you can correct any mistake with a clean q tip, or to get the line sharp, blend some white liner just under your liner, it works like a charm !

Wow good advices ladies. I am also afraid of applying more colours on my eyes cos it ends up messy or the colours get mixed up and it became chaotic.  But I learnt alot over here and thru youtube channels..im improving in a way but sometimes afraid of using more colours...hahaha...practice practice and practice...learning avenues are everywhere, Im thankful for that. 

All I can say is make sure when you are adding colors to your eyes...blend! This always leaves a pretty ending and thats what everyone wants when applying eyeshadow....but if all else fails...youtube is a good way to watch and learn...and also sites like MAC and SEPHORA also have videos that show how to apply eyeshadows.
sdrop.gif

Invest in some of the blending brushes used in the youtube tutorials, even if they are cheaper alternatives. They really do make a difference and make blending so much easier. I love the Mac 224 brush, sometimes I use it to apply my concealer under my eyes, other times I wash it out and use it to blend away harsh lines.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Watch youtube videos.  Those gurus like Enkore or gossmakeupartist or anything that comes up in between is extremely helpful.  I once spent an entire week watching videos on eye makeup to figure out how to do stuff. 

This is what I started doing when I first started. Also blogs are extremely helpful. I like Viola @ http://solomag.se/killercolours/  and Celina @ http://bycelina.com/. Michelle Phan is also really great for beginner/intermediate looks on youtube and she explains everything really well.

I just wanted to come back and thank all of you for your responses.  I know I posted this a bit ago but since then I have learned some.  I think what helped me the most was being able to practice on my mom and friend.  That helped me learn how exactly to blend and where.  I'm still practicing and experimenting all the time but I definitely have stepped up from one color like the picture I posted up there.  Here is more like what I am able to create now.  Any tips you still have are welcome.  But also, please keep in mind a lot of the time these looks I am not wearing out I just practice at home.  

I did this to my mom a bit ago.

I wish you could tell better the blending in the pictures.  I'm going to post this anyway, and hope you get the picture.  No pun intended.  

I have also experimented with a few out there things on myself with my pigment samples I ordered from makeupgeek.

such as

I have been learning how to do awesome eye makeup over the last year.  The best advice I can give is to invest in some GOOD brushes.  You don't need a lot of them to begin with, but quality brushes really do make a big difference.  From precise, controlled application and not rubbing off all your color when blending, to not having brush hairs falling out : /  I also got some makeup wipes to take everything off while I played, played, played!

The MAC 217 blending brush is one of the best brushes out there.  I know its expensive at $22.50 but well worth the investment.

I get a lot of my ideas from makeup blogs too and play with color on rainy days.  I like to mix eye shadow colors to create new ones rather than buying every shade I want.  One of my favorites is Inglot 421p a bronze pearl and Make Up For Ever #92 which is the most amazing matte purple.  Check out this article on 10 Shapes for your Eyeshadows from Makeupgeek.com!

http://www.makeupgeek.com/makeup-101/10-shapes-for-your-eyeshadow/

I also agree with watching the tutorials on Makeup Geek. Marlena does a great job of giving you step by step instructions. There's a super cheap & AWESOME blending brush by ELF (eyeslipsface.com) that's only $1. I LOVE this brush more than my expensive brushes. Another really important thing besides blending is to PAT on your eyeshadow instead of brushing it on. You get 10 times the color payoff. Also, don't be suprised if you have to go back over the same colors after blending. You almost always have to do that. Another site that i get great ideas from is Themakeupbee.com. They have tons of looks & will give you links to blogs & such if you find an artist that you really like. I've always been fairly good at doing my eye makeup, but these things have helped me tremendously. And like everyone said... YouTube, YouTube, YouTube. Find someone you love on their that explains things & shows you in a way that you can really understand & just watch & practice. Even get a mirror & put your makeup next to the computer & pause the vids so you can follow it step by step. After you learned a few basic techniques you'll find that the color combinations are endless. ELF also has quite a few great brushes that you can get really cheap to practice with. A really good brush makes a big difference & you don't have to spend $20+ to get a good brush. Good Luck!
icon_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back